Dodge Challenger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Sorry to learn of the accident. Glad of course there were no injuries.

Uninsured motorists suck. In CA 1 in 5 is uninsured. Check that. In CA 1 in 5 has his "insurance" paid for by the 4 out of 5 that carry insurance and pay an uninsured/under insured driver premium. Aka suckers.

Totaled or not totaled? The impact looks to be severe and has damaged not only sheet metal but drive train and rear suspension, and at least one vital fluid system, brakes.

There is a time to fall in love with a car but also a time to fall out of love with a car. Given the accident I think now is the time for you to fall out of love with the car.

You want to insist the car be taken to the best body repair shop -- one that doesn't have any business arrangement with your insurance company -- and let the estimate of the damage be done.

From my (recent) experience the insurance company adjuster will examine the car 1st and then the body shop unless the insurance company adjuster believes the car is damaged severely enough to be declared a total loss.

The car will need to be torn down -- wheels/tires and bumper covers and some other things -- and checked for "frame" damage. This is done by using a Celette Bench and special fixtures/gauges to check the hard points are in the right position. If these are not they either must be pulled or by some means brought into the right position or the fit of the various sheetmetal/other hardware will not be correct. This bench work is time consuming and insurance companies balk at paying for it.

But this type of damage needs to be checked for -- almost certainly your car has sustained some level of this damage -- and properly repaired. The cost to do this might tip the scales to having the insurance company delcare the car a total loss and this is I think in this case the best outcome.
Good advice
Thanks

Thanks to everyone's replies.
I appreciate all the advice and well wishes.
Challenger's runs in my blood. I have own one most of my life. From 17 years old to 64 years old.
Hopefully I can come out ahead enough to get a SRT.
I have thought of a Dodge Ram.
Just have to wait and see.
Haven't yet received any final word on the car.
Figured either today or tomorrow.

· Registered
172 Posts
I don't know guys which is worse, playing with a phone that you have to stare at to use, or playing with that screen in the center of your dash that you have to stare at to use. I say let's go back to when things were much simpler, no cell phones, no cars with so many gadgets you don't have time to pay attention to your driving because the gadgets take up all your time. The idiots in charge make up laws that say you can't use electronic devices while driving, but the same idiots mandate the manufacturers to put more electronic devices in cars every year. Think About It. P.S. We need to vote out the idiots that make up these stupid rules and not keep voting them back in. I find it funny that the one the was a billionaire before he was elected was condemned for being rich even though he didn't take a paycheck by those that became billionaire after they were elected and made the country believe they are entitled to it. But the guy that worked the hardest who didn't get paid was entitled to nothing. Everyone complains about the idiots on the road but they are our new politicians give nothing and get everything.

· Registered
Custom order. 6 speed manual
3,081 Posts
It would appear by the number Challengers, both on this forum and what we see/hear, hit in the rear, it is not a very "sturdy" vehicle, and totals "easily". Is that they way of the car industry these day? It's easier to total, than repair? How could this possibly benefit insurance companies? And why would the government allow for such flimsy vehicles on the road?
I have posted many times that these can’t take much of a rear hit without totaling out.

There is very little to prevent the collision energy from going straight into the rear rails. There is a sectioning point but everyone I have worked on had damage beyond that.

That forces a full rail replacement. Full rail goes in from the side, which will total out nearly any Challenger except the extreme high end models.

Not flimsy, that's why they are expensive to repair. They could be repaired, but the correct methods would require so much being replaced that it makes them totaled. The car being sturdy is to protect the occupants, and it appears to do that well. It doesn't benefit insurance companies as they have to pay either way. The government testing is passed or exceeded, so of course they allow it.

The question would be, are the manufacturing processes which involve bonding panels with adhesive that when broken, must be replaced the best way to insure the strength, or just the cheapest?

A Guy
That’s exactly right. They are plenty sturdy but they are also designed to mediate collision energy to protect the passengers.

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Yup. They "bend easy" deliberately to absorb the impact energy before it makes it into the passenger compartment. I'm totally OK with that.

· Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
827 Posts
I can't imagine $3500 for a muffler. Something is off, maybe that is why the payment isn't going through? You may want to check into that, that seems really off to me.

I thought about this more... Probably replacing the entire exhaust system... Still an extreme dollar amount.
The $3500 included different pieces of the muffler, plus also labor. I even checked on several mopar wholesale websites and the cheapest I saw was about 2900 or so. The total estimate damage of my car was $10,300. The other guy’s insurance covered about $8400. I had to open a claim with my insurance so they can cover the remaining amount.

· Registered
97 Posts
That’s exactly right. They are plenty sturdy but they are also designed to mediate collision energy to protect the passengers.
Challengers are sturdy cars. The concept of totaling a car is based on 2 factors.

One obvious factor is cost, it if costs more to repair the vehicle than whatever percentage insurance is willing to pay for a new one, totaled.

The more obscure factor is repairability. A car may appear to suffer minor damage but structural damage underneath can leave a car incapable of protecting a passenger or driver again in another accident. The concept of this type of totaling is newer.

If the car may not be able to be structurally repaired with 100% confidence that the crash protection is restored, the insurance company may look at that as an unacceptable risk for injury payout at a future date.

· Registered
Custom order. 6 speed manual
3,081 Posts
Challengers are sturdy cars. The concept of totaling a car is based on 2 factors.

One obvious factor is cost, it if costs more to repair the vehicle than whatever percentage insurance is willing to pay for a new one, totaled.

The more obscure factor is repairability. A car may appear to suffer minor damage but structural damage underneath can leave a car incapable of protecting a passenger or driver again in another accident. The concept of this type of totaling is newer.

If the car may not be able to be structurally repaired with 100% confidence that the crash protection is restored, the insurance company may look at that as an unacceptable risk for injury payout at a future date.
Yes, I’m actually in the industry.

There are many factors. Repair cost, salvage value, part availability (serviceable/non-serviceable), published procedures from the vehicle manufacturer (no published procedures for a structural repair can total a car), repair restrictions written into state law (2 states do not allow full frame replacement, Oregon and Texas. That means you $70,000 truck can total out for very minor but un-repairable damage.)

all kind of thing.

· Premium Member
511 Posts
Good advice
Thanks

Thanks to everyone's replies.
I appreciate all the advice and well wishes.
Challenger's runs in my blood. I have own one most of my life. From 17 years old to 64 years old.
Hopefully I can come out ahead enough to get a SRT.
I have thought of a Dodge Ram.
Just have to wait and see.
Haven't yet received any final word on the car.
Figured either today or tomorrow.
Hang in there. It pains me to see people who love their cars since their youth having to go through this

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Seen this on my insurance app today.
Guess they will be calling me soon with a settlement offer.

· Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Start looking for a new one!

Reactions: grandpa-srt4

· Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,727 Posts
The first offer was $24K.
I said, No.
Waiting on the next offer.
Itemize every single thing you lost. Even the fuel in it. Tire allowance if new tires compared to random used car to replace it...
They whatever they offer you, say, "Show me a car like the one I lost, that I can buy and have in my driveway for that much money"
And yes, find several first yourself that would be acceptable cars equipment/miles wise. And if you find one hundreds/thousands of miles away, add travel/shipping costs.

· Registered
2,859 Posts
61 - 80 of 124 Posts