Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advise. I bought my car from a dealership used. They had a Carfax on the car when I bought it. I have learned that my car was in a previous accident by doing a VIN search.

Do I have any recourse to do anything about this? Really concerned about what damages might have happened to the car.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Carfax means nothing so forget that. Did they declare to you that the car has never been in a wreck or misrepresent the car in any way? If not, don't see what recourse you have, it's buyer beware when buying used.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If you are good with cars you can see if anything major happened. Look everywhere. There are clues you can find.
Car-fax will list a bumper ding as an accident - or a bent frame. Small to big scale damage.

If you are not confident, take it to a pro.
How does it drive? do you feel or hear anything strange?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Always take a used car to a good mechanic prior to purchasing. Always. Carfax is totally unreliable. If a car is wrecked and not reported to the insurance company cause you pay out of pocket - there's no report that will be generated. The only sure way is take a used car to a mechanic or body shop before you purchase it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Like the others said, never trust Carfax. I had a Ram truck that got some hail damage. I had it all fixed with PDR. I had it since new and that was the only damage ever. When I traded it in, the Carfax showed "damage reported to right front of vehicle" and counted it as an accident on the date it got the hail damage.

I think if your car was in anything more than a MINOR fender bender, I would take it back, or take the hit and sell it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a used Charger R/T that was certified and had a clean Carfax from a Dodge dealer. Two years after I purchased it, Carfax updated and said it had been stolen and declared a total loss. The dealer said there was nothing they could do so I contacted a lawyer. They found the car should have been sold with a salvage title and that the dealer and Insurance company. (who recovered the car and sold it at auction with a clear title) were at fault. I ended up getting a nice settlement and got to keep the Charger which I sold to buy my Challenger Scat Pack.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A selling dealer doing an "Inspection" is most likely a joke. If it's not something obvious, it's fine. A friend of mine has bought used car after car, never having any independent inspections done. He's amazingly naive about so many things, sometimes I'm pretty stunned when he asks me about something that I would think anyone over 40 would know about, but he doesn't. He gets totally confused as to what songs are by the Beatles and which are Rolling Stone songs. He grew up when they were being played on the radio, so how could he not know? Remakes of old TV shows are another, "Where have you been?" headshakers. I was on the phone with him and the new "Magnum PI" came on, and I said, "I didn't really like the original Magnum, let alone this one", and he had no idea what I was talking about!! He did know "Hawaii Five-0" is a remake though.

Somehow, he's come out ok for the most part, buying vehicles "blind". Only one, an old Cutlass Vista Cruiser Wagon had problems and he seemed mystified as to their cause. The driver's power window switch on the inside of the door was worn out. That's all. He was one of those guys who refused to allow his wife and kids to use the power windows for decades because they "wear out". The only time I had any issues with power windows was on an old car where the passenger side was never used and it froze up.

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
Maybe he reads books :D

A Guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Iam not saying there aren't exceptions, but for the most part, people don't trade in good cars. Used cars need to be heavily inspected and researched.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought a used Charger R/T that was certified and had a clean Carfax from a Dodge dealer. Two years after I purchased it, Carfax updated and said it had been stolen and declared a total loss. The dealer said there was nothing they could do so I contacted a lawyer. They found the car should have been sold with a salvage title and that the dealer and Insurance company. (who recovered the car and sold it at auction with a clear title) were at fault. I ended up getting a nice settlement and got to keep the Charger which I sold to buy my Challenger Scat Pack.

Now that's GREAT!!!!

Glad to hear someone came out ahead for once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts