Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, a 1st for me. some @$$clown got me.
i left my challenger for maybe 20 mins, far side of the parking lot where thought it was safe, to go buy moms day flowers and odds and ends for the weekend bbq.
Didnt notice anything until i got home.
someone had thier hands all over the passenger side door/window (fresh hand/finger prints in my wax). they then pushed in the upper 1/4 window trim in (what looks like multiple jabs at it) with my guess is a key or screwdriver. They then kicked the back bumper twice. Once I brought my blood temp back to a slow boil, I managed to clean off the boot scuffs and machine buff out the kick scratches to about 99% back to normal but it looks like a small pebble or rock on thier shoe, nicked the paint.
I used a credit card and soapy water to slide in & under the 1/4 window trim and pull it back into shape after letting it sit in the sun to warm up for about an hr while I buffed the bumper. luckly no paint damage there.
....anyway, now the wife & I want to up our parked car security.
I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I do recall seeing/hearing about lil cameras that you can place in the car for when its parked (like a dash cam I guess) and records what goes on around the car.
any advice/info/product suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
U kan't fixe stupide. People who can't afford nice things want to mess with other people's nice things. Luckily.....Knock on wood......I've not, to date, had any problems from stupid humans.

Sorry your car got messed with.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are several very cheap dash cams on Ebay that will at least record what happens but you need a constant power source to run them. The cameras I use will record if I set them up that way. They have a motion sensor built in and will start recording after it senses someone in front of your car or you just leave it on and it will record until full and just record over the oldest files. The only issue with my setup is that you can only see what the camera sees which is a front view unless you also have a rear facing one. They are pretty cheap so you can mount several to cover all angles. A separate DVR is available for those who need more video storage but adds to the cost. The power outlet on the passenger side of the center console can be switched from key on power to full time with just a simple fuse relocating in the rear fuse box.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very helpful info ProstreetAMX. Thank you!! could you expand a little more on the below quote however? relocating a fuse?
very much appreciate your help.
" The power outlet on the passenger side of the center console can be switched from key on power to full time with just a simple fuse relocating in the rear fuse box."

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
yep, a 1st for me. some @$$clown got me.
i left my challenger for maybe 20 mins, far side of the parking lot where thought it was safe, to go buy moms day flowers and odds and ends for the weekend bbq.
Didnt notice anything until i got home.
someone had thier hands all over the passenger side door/window (fresh hand/finger prints in my wax). they then pushed in the upper 1/4 window trim in (what looks like multiple jabs at it) with my guess is a key or screwdriver. They then kicked the back bumper twice. Once I brought my blood temp back to a slow boil, I managed to clean off the boot scuffs and machine buff out the kick scratches to about 99% back to normal but it looks like a small pebble or rock on thier shoe, nicked the paint.
I used a credit card and soapy water to slide in & under the 1/4 window trim and pull it back into shape after letting it sit in the sun to warm up for about an hr while I buffed the bumper. luckly no paint damage there.
....anyway, now the wife & I want to up our parked car security.
I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I do recall seeing/hearing about lil cameras that you can place in the car for when its parked (like a dash cam I guess) and records what goes on around the car.
any advice/info/product suggestions would be appreciated.

You got $500+ you can spend?

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-dr900s-2ch-dual-lens-4k-gps-wifi-cloud-capable-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/

Something to keep in mind, you can take it to the police, but will likely do nothing about it unless it is very serious or you literally catch them in the act then and there.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You can add a DEI shock sensor so that if anyone bumps the car the factory alarm will go off. Basically you tap into the door triggers on the BCM.

·
Registered
164 Posts
very helpful info ProstreetAMX. Thank you!! could you expand a little more on the below quote however? relocating a fuse?
very much appreciate your help.
" The power outlet on the passenger side of the center console can be switched from key on power to full time with just a simple fuse relocating in the rear fuse box."
I watched a video this week on YouTube about how to set up a camera in a new Challenger and the guy went over how easy it is to just move one fuse and switch the outlet to constant power. Installing cameras in my vehicles is not an issue since I already have them in all of my cars and trucks already but will be installing one in my new Challenger next week and was looking for tips since this car is a lot newer. I did not know about the fuse trick but it is pretty easy. Just check youtube and you should be able to find the video also. I just did a search for Challenger dashcam install. The cameras I use are around $30 to $40 and have great clarity when viewed on my laptop later but there are better ones for much more money.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The "Fuse trick" is also mentioned in the owners manual (at least it is on my 2018 GT). It's more of a "feature" than a "trick". It's nice that they give you that option.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts

My question is, if you install a camera, and record some random dirtbag messing with your car, what good does it do you? Unless he hangs out all the time where it happens, or is the next door neighbor or something, there's no way to catch them basically

A Guy

·
Registered
966 Posts
So sorry to hear that some loser did this to your car. I can't stand people like that - people that are so jealous of what you have that they damage your property - just because they can't have something as nice. Annoys me to no end...

After my recent fender-bender, I'm looking to add cameras as well (even though this one was *my* fault!). This little fender-bender really woke me up as to just how important something like this could be in a case where the "at fault" driver doesn't own up to their mistake - and may be useful for something like vandelism as well - even if just to prove to the insurance company that someone else did the damage (and it wasn't you doing it by accident or something) - or if someone hits your car while it's parked - again, just to prove that someone hit you while it was parked. Or that someone broke your windshield, etc, etc, etc...

Just browsing that dashcam site, I saw this one - records both front and back for a much lower price (not sure you need 4k video for something like this!):

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-dr590-2ch-1080p-dual-lens-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/#reviewstab

I'm sure that there are TONS of options out there. Just make sure you dont' buy one of the $50 Ebay specials... :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Personally I do use some of the cheaper Ebay cameras since just about any camera is better than no camera. They have been used in 2 of my vehicles when they were rear ended and would have been evidence if there was a dispute about who was at fault. In my case just mentioning the fact that we have the events recorded did not let this go any farther. I am working on rear cameras for each now. I would love to have a state of the art camera system that I can control with my phone but there are so many options out there that I need to do more research before pulling the trigger on a $500 system. I think the modern spare tire will be one of the first big purchases for this car and I will use the $40 Amazon camera until I find a better system. As I already stated, any camera is better then none. I don't mind paying for good products, I just need to make sure it is worth the money.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yup but can be done on pre-15 models. It compliments having a dash cam.

+2015 wiring

This guy has a pre-2015 and taps directly to door wire.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/2014-door-trigger-shock-sensor-upgrade-529993/?529993=#post7013913
The guy in the video was standing next to a Challenger... :surprise:

BTW, wiring the body to a live ignition coil would provide the desired protection. >:)

Getting it all on video would make it more entertaining...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think your events happened in reverse. The person kicked the bumper first to see if a car alarm would go off, then he tried to gain entry via the window. It was a burglary or auto theft attempt not vandalism in my opinion and I would have wrote it up as such. Was there anything in the car that was in view to entice this person?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The only place my car is ever parked and left is at the Cigar store by the owner's or other employee's vehicles. If me and wife are out cruising and she or I need to stop somewhere one of us is always with the car.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You got $500+ you can spend?

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-dr900s-2ch-dual-lens-4k-gps-wifi-cloud-capable-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/

Something to keep in mind, you can take it to the police, but will likely do nothing about it unless it is very serious or you literally catch them in the act then and there.
This is the truth for sure. Found this out the HARD WAY.

Construction dude in front of my wife drops a five gallon plastic container out of the back of his truck in traffic. My wife and two others behind her couldn't safely get out of the splash. White latex all all over the car. Cleaning it off took me HOURS......and getting it off the bottom was near impossible. Thankfully this was her winter ride and I cared a whole lot less about it than our summer rides.

She got his plate number and all three owners called local police for help.

All of us got the same "rap", "We'll go talk to him and if admits to it we'll file a report you can use in civil court. If he doesn't admit to it there isn't much we can do for you. You'll have to pursue it yourself." Either way they weren't inclined to do much of anything about it. It was on each of the three car owners to pursue it in civil court.

Bottom line, what I took away from it? These are civil court claims for damages and the police won't be a whole lot of help until the amount of damages reach high enough to file a more serious charge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got run off the road in my freshly painted van years ago, well before dash cams. I got the plate number and a description of the guy who looked back at me as I drove over the curb into the grass. The cops told me he could not get a ticket since they did not witness it themselves. Other than a civil suit today, option #2 is to post a video of the stupid drivers all over YouTube and possibly shame them. Some stupid drivers actually post videos they actually took of themselves doing stupid stuff. The guy did not actually hit my van since I saw him coming but it was pretty hard to miss something that big in front of his Chevette. This was also way before cell phone distraction.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
The guy in the video was standing next to a Challenger... :surprise:

BTW, wiring the body to a live ignition coil would provide the desired protection. >:)

Getting it all on video would make it more entertaining...
Why stop at the ignition coil...trunk monkey baby!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
hemi4us
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing