Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am new to this site and i thought i would ask for some help.

My 2014 DC won't start so i thought it maybe the key fob batteries needed change so i got some new ones and still nothing.

i just got this car not to long ago so i was wondering could it be the car battery? Do i need to give it a boost? and if i pop the hood would the car alarm go off?

This is the first time owning a Challenger so i am still new to all this.

i only drove it 3 times in order not to put a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When you try to start it, does sound like it trying to turn over? Do you just get a clicking sound? Or do you get nothing. Any power to the car at all, lights, radio, etc?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you try to start it, does sound like it trying to turn over? Do you just get a clicking sound? Or do you get nothing. Any power to the car at all, lights, radio, etc?

Nothing at all whatsoever. That's why i was wondering if it needed a boost?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Nothing at all whatsoever. That's why i was wondering if it needed a boost?
Sounds like you need a battery. But you should get your charging system tested also, from the Alternator to the battery. If you can get it jumped, I would go to the nearest Autozone, they can test both your battery and alternator. Hopefully, it's just the battery, replacing both is not cheap. Being as your car if 5 years old and the original battery might still be in it, it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
213 Posts
  1. Do you have a multi meter? Test the voltage output on your battery in case you do. Being a 2014, your battery is going on six years old there abouts. This could be a problem.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
A bad alternator is of course a possibility but far more batteries go bad than alternators.

Thus I vote for a bad battery.

Age and lack of regular use. The battery (and in fact the entire car) does better with regular use provided you drive the car long enough after engine start to recharge the battery.

The battery loses charge just sitting and if you start the engine the battery loses even more. After an engine start the engine needs to run some time to give the alternator time to replenish the battery.

As the battery is allowed to run down even if it is recharged this accelerates the battery's downward spiral.

I would not bother to jump start the car. There's a risk in jumping a car to start it and I really try to avoid doing this.

What I have done when the battery was down was to just go get a new battery and then remove the old battery and install the new battery.

Then this is the time with the engine running you can check with a volt meter the voltage at the battery terminals to confirm there is good voltage there. Should see around 14V. You want to check this shortly after engine start but also after engine run time. In one case a car of my had a bad alternator but it worked just fine from the start but over 15 or so minutes its output fell. I had a battery voltage gauge in the car -- in the dash -- and I monitored this and saw the voltage dropping. Got the alternator replaced and all was well again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you need a battery. But you should get your charging system tested also, from the Alternator to the battery. If you can get it jumped, I would go to the nearest Autozone, they can test both your battery and alternator. Hopefully, it's just the battery, replacing both is not cheap. Being as your car if 5 years old and the original battery might still be in it, it's time for a new one.

i might have to get it towed to the nearest shop and probably have the battery replaced. Another person said don't jump start it cause it might cause problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bad alternator is of course a possibility but far more batteries go bad than alternators.

Age and lack of regular use. The battery (and in fact the entire car) does better with regular use provided you drive the car long enough after engine start to recharge the battery.

The battery loses charge just sitting and if you start the engine the battery loses even more. After an engine start the engine needs to run some time to give the alternator time to replenish the battery.

As the battery is allowed to run down even if it is recharged this accelerates the battery's downward spiral.

I would not bother to jump start the car. There's a risk in jumping a car to start it and I really try to avoid doing this.

What I have done when the battery was down was to just go get a new battery and then remove the old battery and install the new battery.

Then this is the time with the engine running you can check with a volt meter the voltage at the battery terminals to confirm there is good voltage there. Should see around 14V. You want to check this shortly after engine start but also after engine run time. In one case a car of my had a bad alternator but it worked just fine from the start but over 15 or so minutes its output fell. I had a battery voltage gauge in the car -- in the dash -- and I monitored this and saw the voltage dropping. Got the alternator replaced and all was well again.
i will take you're advice and not jump start it cause i don't want to make it worse. It's gonna cost a lot of money to tow it i will admit cause i live in the country. And i don't want to play mechanic and ruin it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  1. Do you have a multi meter? Test the voltage output on your battery in case you do. Being a 2014, your battery is going on six years old there abouts. This could be a problem.
Sadly i don't have a multi meter. You and the others are probably right that it might need a new battery.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
As far jump starting, I had my Scat Pac jumped twice cause of a bad battery, it didn't cause any problems. This was done through Chrysler Roadside Assistance so a local tow company came out. Battery was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far jump starting, I had my Scat Pac jumped twice cause of a bad battery, it didn't cause any problems. This was done through Chrysler Roadside Assistance so a local tow company came out. Battery was replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the advice. It was a one owner before me so it might be the battery that needs changing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So i shouldn't just let it sit? i need to give it a drive at least once a month in order to keep the battery charged?

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you’re going to let it sit for periods of time especially in the winter, get yourself a good battery tender. And keep that plugged in during the interim. That should keep your battery power up until the next time you drive it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Matter of fact, the one actually called “battery tender” I think is probably one of the best ones out there. As apposed to a cheesy $10 one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you’re going to let it sit for periods of time especially in the winter, get yourself a good battery tender. And keep that plugged in during the interim. That should keep your battery power up until the next time you drive it.
i will get a Battery tender at Autozone and the reason i hardly drive her is because i don't want to add too much miles to her. I owned her almost a year now and only drove her 3 times. And yes i called my car Her.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i will get a Battery tender at Autozone and the reason i hardly drive her is because i don't want to add too much miles to her. I owned her almost a year now and only drove her 3 times. And yes i called my car Her.
Dude, how can you stand it!? Seeing that beautiful beast sitting in the garage way too much. Enjoy that car!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually had this sinking feeling in my stomach today because we had a nor’easter over here in Rhode Island and putting my car away during the snowy winter made me sad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts