Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
So i shouldn't just let it sit? i need to give it a drive at least once a month in order to keep the battery charged?
Once a month and for a good distance/time might suffice for a while but as the battery ages the battery will get to the point once a month won't cut it. My limited experience is you probably have 6 months or so before the brand new battery starts to manifest symptoms arising from being allowed to sit and discharge.

While you can recharge the battery a lead/acid battery does not really like being allowed to run down much.

Other things will suffer from lack of "use". The engine oil doesn't circulate so it can't keep the seals "wet" and the seals will shrink and then leak. More driving won't cause the seals to swell back to their original size/shape.

The gasoline gets stale. If the level gets low this exposes the in tank hardware to the risk of "drying" out and the fuel tank float can stick. If the in tank hoses are plastic they stay more pliable and less likely to crack or split if kept "moist" by driving the car. Even if the tank level gets low the fuel sloshes about. And before you put the car away it is a good idea to fill the gas tank.

The coolant doesn't flow. This can over time result in compromised water pump seals and coolant hose degradation. The hoses start to go bad -- sort of "rot" -- on the bottom and close to where the hose connects to the water pump, or radiator.

V-belt/serpentine belts don't like to sit.

The tires keep better if the car is driven.

The A/C system needs regular use to help keep the seals (o-rings) from drying out and letting the refrigerant (and compressor oil) from leaking.

A seldom used car is a mice magnet.

And so on.

It really is not very good for a car to be allowed to sit for long periods. The automakers spend a lot of time and money to design/build cars that last a long time when used. By not using the vehicle regularly and frequently, certainly more often than once a month, you are not helping the vehicle at all.

While I don't drive my Hellcat every day I do drive it at least two times a week to work and back, a 60 mile round trip. Then I use it Saturday or Sunday for about a 20 mile drive. On the weekend day I use the car I fill the gas tank for the coming week's use.

Once in a while when I go for a longer drive -- to visit a family member who lives 60 miles from me -- I take the Hellcat. Nice to get the car out on the open road -- though there is still traffic and I always have to watch my speed -- for about an hour's drive there and an hour's drive back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I actually had this sinking feeling in my stomach today because we had a nor’easter over here in Rhode Island and putting my car away during the snowy winter made me sad.
DC 2014 means Dodge Challenger. And yes when i get her going again i will enjoy her and not just let her sit. That was my mistake. I guess i was just worried of adding too many miles and now the damn thing won't even start lol. I am sitting over here beside myself and upset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Once a month and for a good distance/time might suffice for a while but as the battery ages the battery will get to the point once a month won't cut it. My limited experience is you probably have 6 months or so before the brand new battery starts to manifest symptoms arising from being allowed to sit and discharge.

While you can recharge the battery a lead/acid battery does not really like being allowed to run down much.

Other things will suffer from lack of "use". The engine oil doesn't circulate so it can't keep the seals "wet" and the seals will shrink and then leak. More driving won't cause the seals to swell back to their original size/shape.

The gasoline gets stale. If the level gets low this exposes the in tank hardware to the risk of "drying" out and the fuel tank float can stick. If the in tank hoses are plastic they stay more pliable and less likely to crack or split if kept "moist" by driving the car. Even if the tank level gets low the fuel sloshes about. And before you put the car away it is a good idea to fill the gas tank.

The coolant doesn't flow. This can over time result in compromised water pump seals and coolant hose degradation. The hoses start to go bad -- sort of "rot" -- on the bottom and close to where the hose connects to the water pump, or radiator.

V-belt/serpentine belts don't like to sit.

The tires keep better if the car is driven.

The A/C system needs regular use to help keep the seals (o-rings) from drying out and letting the refrigerant (and compressor oil) from leaking.

A seldom used car is a mice magnet.

And so on.

It really is not very good for a car to be allowed to sit for long periods. The automakers spend a lot of time and money to design/build cars that last a long time when used. By not using the vehicle regularly and frequently, certainly more often than once a month, you are not helping the vehicle at all.

While I don't drive my Hellcat every day I do drive it at least two times a week to work and back, a 60 mile round trip. Then I use it Saturday or Sunday for about a 20 mile drive. On the weekend day I use the car I fill the gas tank for the coming week's use.

Once in a while when I go for a longer drive -- to visit a family member who lives 60 miles from me -- I take the Hellcat. Nice to get the car out on the open road -- though there is still traffic and I always have to watch my speed -- for about an hour's drive there and an hour's drive back.
Thanks for the advice. When i get her towed i will not only get a new battery but do a whole checkup on her. And i will enjoy her rather then keep her covered and just sitting there. I let my worrying get to me and kept thinking if i don't drive her she will last longer. Boy was i wrong and i need to know better.

Beginners mistake on my part. Now i learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Heck just go buy a battery and put it in yourself. The battery itself will be cheaper than a tow. Battery is in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
99% chance its a bad battery. Very common problem, if you are not running a batt tender.
Replacement is easy as it gets, takes 5 mins and as stated above, you'll spend far more $$ and waaaay more time / effort with getting it towed only to have some dealer service tech tell you this same thing stated here several times.
Now: Jumping it wont do any harm to the car, who ever said that simply doesnt know what they are talking about...however if the battery itself is forever dead (again 99% chance thats it) the jump will get the car started/running but because sustained voltage is too low, it can put the car into limp mode.
Not a huge deal, but would require a total batt disconnect and reconnect with a full good battery to clear it.
Dodge products are very prone to batt drain & issues. I chased mine for years. There are multiple post on thsi board covering the how & whys.
Good luck.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My battery was so dead that the car wouldn’t jump after 10 minutes of trying.
Pull it and have the battery charged at a parts store (autozone, Oriellys, etc.). Drop in and go (assuming that’s the problem).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
99% chance its a bad battery. Very common problem, if you are not running a batt tender.
Replacement is easy as it gets, takes 5 mins and as stated above, you'll spend far more $$ and waaaay more time / effort with getting it towed only to have some dealer service tech tell you this same thing stated here several times.
Now: Jumping it wont do any harm to the car, who ever said that simply doesnt know what they are talking about...however if the battery itself is forever dead (again 99% chance thats it) the jump will get the car started/running but because sustained voltage is too low, it can put the car into limp mode.
Not a huge deal, but would require a total batt disconnect and reconnect with a full good battery to clear it.
Dodge products are very prone to batt drain & issues. I chased mine for years. There are multiple post on thsi board covering the how & whys.
Good luck.
Jump starting a car is risky. If the process is done right the risk is small, but if one is not paying attention or fails to follow the proper steps...

A woman at work came to me -- this a while back -- about her car. Seems the battery went flat and her husband went to jump start the car and I guess hooked up the jump cable leads wrong. The result was the speedo needle was under the tiny post it rests upon when the electrical power is off. When she started the engine and drove the car the needle came up against the bottom of the pin but was not able to go past/over it and as a result the speedo didn't work. She asked me what to do and all I could offer was to check with a shop that specializes in vehicle instrument service/repair. Later she came to me and told me her husband drilled a small hole through the plastic over the speedo dial and used a fine wire to lift and move the need over the post and the speedo worked just fine after this.

Really jump starting a modern car engine is really something to be avoided unless absolutely necessary. The less risk one subjects the car's electrical system to being exposed to static or a sudden surge in power the better.

In the case of the OP the battery if not dead is closer to being dead than alive. Just get a new battery and move on. And learn from the experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After you get a new battery get yourself a battery tender. It will stay charged and you can still drive it whenever you want. I just installed mine today. I used the ring connectors and installed under the hood.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I would try charging the battery first and see if it;
a: Starts
b: If it starts a trip to get your battery and alternator checked would be your next step.
c: If it still did not start it is the battery, it is still a good time to check your alternator.

As everyone has mentioned if you still have the original battery it is more than likely the culprit.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
i only drove it 3 times in order not to put a lot of miles on it.
If this will be your MO then you will need a battery maintainer plugged in constantly or you will forever have battery issues even with new batteries.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts