Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these cars aren't meant to handle like a Mustang or Camaro, but when I finally get my dream Scat Pack or SRT 392 I want it to handle as well as possible. I plan to use it on a semi-daily basis as well as take it to the strip and some twisty mountain roads. So, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Speedlogix Front Strut Tower Brace
2. Petty’s Garage Rear Shock Tower Brace
3. Sub Frame Connectors
4. Per4mance Development Differential Brace
5. Spohn Rear Suspension Package
6. BMR Upper Control Arms
7. Speedlogix Hellcat Sway Bar Kit
8. KW Adjustable Coilovers
9. Wider rear wheels and at least 305 rear tires

Am I missing anything? I'm also looking for input from people who have installed some of these mods on how they affected the performance and ride quality.

I know that lowering the car too much with the coilovers will make the ride extremely uncomfortable, but I want to improve the look of the stance and the performance while keeping the ability to cruise fairly comfortably on Street mode. How easy are those coilovers to adjust by myself if I ever want to take it on the autocross course and then go back to street driving?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I know these cars aren't meant to handle like a Mustang or Camaro, but when I finally get my dream Scat Pack or SRT 392 I want it to handle as well as possible. I plan to use it on a semi-daily basis as well as take it to the strip and some twisty mountain roads. So, here's what I'm thinking:

1.Speedlogix Front Strut Tower Brace

2.Petty’s Garage Rear Shock Tower Brace

3.Sub Frame Connectors

4.Per4mance Development Differential Brace

5.Spohn Rear Suspension Package

6.BMR Upper Control Arms

7.Speedlogix Hellcat Sway Bar Kit

Am I missing anything? I'm also looking for input from people who have installed some of these mods on how they affected the performance and ride quality.

I know that lowering the car too much with the coilovers will make the ride extremely uncomfortable, but I want to improve the look of the stance and the performance while keeping the ability to cruise fairly comfortably on Street mode. How easy are those coilovers to adjust by myself if I ever want to take it on the autocross course and then go back to street driving?

I have about 3/4 of the same parts installed on my car, i can assure you, you will be surprised of what the car is capable of.

Adjusting the coilovers involves taking off the wheels and raising/lowering the car a few times.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

1.Speedlogix Front Strut Tower Brace

2.Petty’s Garage Rear Shock Tower Brace

3.Sub Frame Connectors

4.Per4mance Development Differential Brace

5.Spohn Rear Suspension Package

6.BMR Upper Control Arms

7.Speedlogix Hellcat Sway Bar Kit

I have about 3/4 of the same parts installed on my car, i can assure you, you will be surprised of what the car is capable of.

Adjusting the coilovers involves taking off the wheels and raising/lowering the car a few times.
Cool. What parts do you have on yours? Have you had to sacrifice any ride comfort?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I don't have the diff brace, not sure how much difference that makes for corner handling. Also rather than the Hellcat sway bars I'd suggest getting adjustable sway bars, like Petty's, so you can tune them as needed. If you don't have your heart set on KWs, check out Ride tech coilovers, I've been happy with mine. Be careful with the Spohn rear control arms if you lower your car on those coilovers, they don't have the same contour the factory ones do and will contact the body and bend if your lowered too much.

Everyone's level of what is bad to street drive is different. I've done all that to mine and more and have no problems driving mine on the street. Just realize your nit driving a Lexus, it will be a little noisier and harder. For coilover adjustments are you asking how hard to adjust the ride height or just the shock settings? Shock settings are extremely easy, just turn a knob. Ride height as someone said you have to remove each tire, but if you know the height you want you should only have to do it once.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the diff brace, not sure how much difference that makes for corner handling. Also rather than the Hellcat sway bars I'd suggest getting adjustable sway bars, like Petty's, so you can tune them as needed. If you don't have your heart set on KWs, check out Ride tech coilovers, I've been happy with mine. Be careful with the Spohn rear control arms if you lower your car on those coilovers, they don't have the same contour the factory ones do and will contact the body and bend if your lowered too much.

Everyone's level of what is bad to street drive is different. I've done all that to mine and more and have no problems driving mine on the street. Just realize your nit driving a Lexus, it will be a little noisier and harder. For coilover adjustments are you asking how hard to adjust the ride height or just the shock settings? Shock settings are extremely easy, just turn a knob. Ride height as someone said you have to remove each tire, but if you know the height you want you should only have to do it once.

The diff brace is more for reducing wheel hop. What's the advantage to being able to tune the sway bars? And why RideTech over KW's? The KW's attracted me because I could use the stock shock if I got an SRT 392. How much could I lower with the Spohn arms?

And I certainly don't need it to ride like a Lexus, I just want to be able to comfortably cruise around town and take long road trips.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Cool. What parts do you have on yours? Have you had to sacrifice any ride comfort?

I have :
-KW V2
-Hotchkis Sway bar bushings
-UPR ADJUSTABLE LINKS (Key here is, the srt sway bar isn’t actually any bigger or better.... but once you lower you car you need these links to make your current sway bars more effective. Along with bushings and links, no reason to switch out the bar)
-camber kit front and rear
-subframe chassis connectors
-Drake front tower strut brace

My next on the list is the rear strut brace.

I have to admit, the ride quality is definitely worse but the car sticks to the ground. When i first got my car on stock tires and suspensions, i would hear the tires screeching hitting a freeway on ramp at 35-40. I can take these same turns at 60+ now with no tire screech

I have my coilovers close to the stiffest setting, as well on my sway bars. But the best thing about these parts is that you can tune them to be more comfortable or a lot stiffer than factory depending on what you want.

Good luck!

*Edit*
Also running 18x9 and 18x10 so the car sits a little lower in the front due to the smaller wheel/tire combo. So running at the height that i am at, i pretty much have to hit every driveway sideways, and i cant count the amount of horrible noises i hear from my frame rail scraping haha

Also remember, tires will probably make the biggest difference after the coilovers

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The diff brace is more for reducing wheel hop. What's the advantage to being able to tune the sway bars? And why RideTech over KW's? The KW's attracted me because I could use the stock shock if I got an SRT 392. How much could I lower with the Spohn arms?

And I certainly don't need it to ride like a Lexus, I just want to be able to comfortably cruise around town and take long road trips.

Look into spc rear camber bushings. Its a set-in clock-able bushing that will achieve the same effect

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have :
-KW V2
-Hotchkis Sway bar bushings
-UPR ADJUSTABLE LINKS (Key here is, the srt sway bar isn’t actually any bigger or better.... but once you lower you car you need these links to make your current sway bars more effective. Along with bushings and links, no reason to switch out the bar)
-camber kit front and rear
-subframe chassis connectors
-Drake front tower strut brace

My next on the list is the rear strut brace.

I have to admit, the ride quality is definitely worse but the car sticks to the ground. When i first got my car on stock tires and suspensions, i would hear the tires screeching hitting a freeway on ramp at 35-40. I can take these same turns at 60+ now with no tire screech

I have my coilovers close to the stiffest setting, as well on my sway bars. But the best thing about these parts is that you can tune them to be more comfortable or a lot stiffer than factory depending on what you want.

Good luck!

*Edit*
Also running 18x9 and 18x10 so the car sits a little lower in the front due to the smaller wheel/tire combo. So running at the height that i am at, i pretty much have to hit every driveway sideways, and i cant count the amount of horrible noises i hear from my frame rail scraping haha

Also remember, tires will probably make the biggest difference after the coilovers
Sounds like a good setup. I'm planning on using Continental Extreme Contact tires, probably staying with a 20" rim so I won't be quite so low to the ground. Do you have an SRT or a Scat Pack? I imagine the magnetic dampers on the SRT in street setting would probably help the car feel softer after lowering it about an inch.

How easy is it to adjust the stiffness of the KW's? I've also heard that the KW springs are progressive so they don't start getting really stiff until compressed past a certain point.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sounds like a good setup. I'm planning on using Continental Extreme Contact tires, probably staying with a 20" rim so I won't be quite so low to the ground. Do you have an SRT or a Scat Pack? I imagine the magnetic dampers on the SRT in street setting would probably help the car feel softer after lowering it about an inch.

How easy is it to adjust the stiffness of the KW's? I've also heard that the KW springs are progressive so they don't start getting really stiff until compressed past a certain point.

Actually, im running this on my RT so i dont have the magnetic dampers. Stiffness is easily controlled by a 3 or 4 mm allen key on the top of each strut. Just make sure tour strut bars dont cover the top hat or else you will have to remove it every time. I think it ranges from -5 up to + 5 degrees.

You can definitely set it up to feel “stock” by leaving it at 0.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

The diff brace won't really help much with wheel hop, wheel hop comes from the soft rubber bushings in the cradle.

Sway bar tuning will help you to adjust out over/understeer.

Ridetechs were recommended to me because of their quality and customer service. The guy I bought mine from said KWs were good but he felt these were a little better and they've got a 1,000,000 mile warranty. And they are a true coilover in the rear. The KWs still use the factory spring perch back there with a separate damper. I'm also not sure why you'd use the stock shock if you're switching to coilovers?

Not sure what the lowering threshold is for the Sphon stuff, I'm guessing my buddy was about 1 1/2" lower.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The diff brace won't really help much with wheel hop, wheel hop comes from the soft rubber bushings in the cradle.

Sway bar tuning will help you to adjust out over/understeer.

Ridetechs were recommended to me because of their quality and customer service. The guy I bought mine from said KWs were good but he felt these were a little better and they've got a 1,000,000 mile warranty. And they are a true coilover in the rear. The KWs still use the factory spring perch back there with a separate damper. I'm also not sure why you'd use the stock shock if you're switching to coilovers?

Not sure what the lowering threshold is for the Sphon stuff, I'm guessing my buddy was about 1 1/2" lower.

It was my understanding that the stock shocks on the SRT were necessary to make the magnetic dampening work? That's why I was planning to keep them.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It was my understanding that the stock shocks on the SRT were necessary to make the magnetic dampening work? That's why I was planning to keep them.
Yes that is true. But a coilover is actually a shock and spring assembly that is replaced as one unit. If you plan on keeping the magnetic SRT shocks you need to look into lowering springs instead probably. I don't know anything about those though so don't know if they'll work with SRT.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes that is true. But a coilover is actually a shock and spring assembly that is replaced as one unit. If you plan on keeping the magnetic SRT shocks you need to look into lowering springs instead probably. I don't know anything about those though so don't know if they'll work with SRT.

I think hes reffering to still keeping the different suspension settings within the performance pages?

OP look into the srt or scat pack forums im sure someones been down this path....

If it were me though, i would just find a way to disable those settings

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That's not the case with the KW kit I was looking at, it lets you use the stock SRT shocks. And lowering springs will work with an SRT but I would like some adjustability

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think hes reffering to still keeping the different suspension settings within the performance pages?

OP look into the srt or scat pack forums im sure someones been down this path....

If it were me though, i would just find a way to disable those settings
I'm sure he is, but he's right to keep those settings he has to keep the stock shocks.

Depending how serious you want to get OP you will get better performance and adjustability from coilovers vs the SRT shocks. And in that case get a Scat Pack because you'll be getting rid of what you get charged extra for on the SRT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts