Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Build is finally finished. Dyno sheet is included below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I just wanted to talk about my experience with Whipple, ARH and a shop in NJ. I’m going to try to be as unbiased as possible so you guys can come to your own conclusion about their products and services.

December 3rd 2019 – Ordered the Whipple Stage 2 kit for the 2011 R/T

December 19th 2019 – Friend introduces me to a shop in Lakewood, NJ that is experienced with tuning Chevys and HEMIs

January 6th 2020 – Kit delivered to my house

January 7th – Dropped off the kit at the shop at 8am with the car

January 11th – Install is done and cannot be tuned because it is making too much boost, shop instructs me to get some LT headers since it could an issue with exhaust restriction. I show them viable options for long tubes ranging from brands like JBA to Kooks and SW but they insist I only go with the American Racing Headers system which is around $1950 when accounting for the headers, extensions, taxes, and shipping.

January 13th – I find out that Tune Time is affiliated with ARH so I finally see why they were pushing ARH as hard as they were but paying that much for headers isn’t something I could afford. I wanted the install to go as smooth as possible and not have them call me about another thing that went wrong, so I just order the ARH kit that they’re comfortable with. I placed an order through an online vendor that allowed me save about $550 from the overall cost of the kit.

January 15th - Nothing else can be done at this point so the car is picked up and in the garage. I fly out to school.

February 27th – ARH kit is delivered to my house but I couldn’t bring the car to the shop yet since I was thousands of miles away.

March 12th – I fly back from school because of the transition to online classes due to SARS-CoV2. I call the shop and was given an appointment for March 17.

March 17th – I bring in the car to the shop at 9am with the ARH kit.

March 24th – Headers are installed and it’s back on the dyno and it’s still making too much boost. They tell me it could be more exhaust restriction from the Borla ATAK mufflers (??) I have on the car. They tell me they’re going to replace the mufflers with new mufflers from a Hellcat to see if that’s what the issue is. Still too much boost.

March 25th – They get in touch with Whipple and send them the data logs to see what the issue is.

March 26th – After reviewing the logs, Whipple sends out two pulleys to see if that could be the issue. The initial kit came with 3.500 that was apparently making 13-15lbs.

March 31st – I get two pulleys to my door (3.625 and 3.750) which I bring to the shop.

April 1st-2nd – For that ½ hour pulley change that was charged. Not on the dyno yet.

April 3rd – Car is on the dyno, engine now apparently knocking due to the belt and tensioner being too tight around the bigger pulley. They tell me to call Whipple to find a belt that is a size up. Whipple tells me the issue isn’t with the belt, all they have to do is adjust the idler pulley.

April 4th – Belt is loosened, and car was on the dyno by 10AM and was told it would be ready to pickup today. I call them 25 minutes before they close at 3:35PM since I haven't heard anything from them yet. I'm told tuning is done but I can't get my car back until Monday because they're having a problem mounting tires onto the rear wheels.

April 6th - Got my car back around 10AM. Rides well, haven't had tune double checked yet. The Whipple kit came with the 3.5 pulley and they sent 3.625 and 3.750 but the car currently has a 4.000 pulley on it, not sure where the shop got it but that's what is making the 10.5lbs of boost right now. Final numbers are 470 whp and 435 ft/lbs on a Mustang Dyno.

April 7th - Whipple unit does grind when the heater is on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time totals for everything mentioned above:

Whipple kit build + shipping – 40 days

ARH kit build + shipping – 45 days

Car physically in the shop – 26 days

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was what was on the work order given to me when I picked up the car:

Supercharger Install cost - $1388.19

Dyno tune - $650

“Dyno Safety Check” - $124.82

180 Degree Thermostat install - $140.83

Brake Flush $79.63

Install wide band bung and cap - $72.31

“2 extra hours of tuning” Dyno Re-Tune - $350

½ hour charged for pulley change - $67.39

Header install - $1096.34

Shortening X-pipe - $134.78

Remove Mufflers Check for Obstruction - $134.78

Mount and Balance Wheels and Tires - $178.84

Miscellaneous Parts - $155.25

Discount: -$107

After adding up the total cost of labor with shop supply, taxes and their credit card charge rate - $4720.18

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me know what your experiences have been like. This entire situation for me has been extremely frustrating, not only from Whipple but the shop itself.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,963 Posts
I gotta say it, what does exhaust have to do with too much boost on a supercharger?
I would love a supercharged HEMI someday, almost bit the bullet on an E-Force for my 5.7 Charger.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man that sucks, good luck with the final tune/dyno run. If they can't get it done, go to another shop.
Yea, that's what I'm gonna have to do if they end up not being able to do it. They're charging me for the initial dyno check and troubleshooting separately. I'm not sure if that's something that is commonly done by other shops but I thought it was just odd. You would think there's time set aside with the initial price of the tune for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta say it, what does exhaust have to do with too much boost on a supercharger?
I would love a supercharged HEMI someday, almost bit the bullet on an E-Force for my 5.7 Charger.
It doesn't, I had stock exhaust and no problems on my SRT with a ProCharger, not a whipple, but still, no way.
From what I've read, to be fair to the shop, exhaust restriction does play a role in the boost that is made. Not sure how true it is or the technical details behind it, maybe someone more technically inclined can comment on this.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
From what I've read, to be fair to the shop, exhaust restriction does play a role in the boost that is made. Not sure how true it is or the technical details behind it, maybe someone more technically inclined can comment on this.
Maybe massive restriction, lack of scavenging during overlap inhibiting cylinders filling, but it would have to be potato in the pipe type of stuff. Not like factory manifold flow bad at all now. And with factory duals with crossover, I just can't see it.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe massive restriction, lack of scavenging during overlap inhibiting cylinders filling, but it would have to be potato in the pipe type of stuff. Not like factory manifold flow bad at all now. And with factory duals with crossover, I just can't see it.
Yeah, I initially left it to them since they're experienced with tuning these kinds of motors. It's 2PM here and I still haven't gotten a call from them about picking the car up so it looks like it'll take another day, at this point I'm not even surprised at how slow everything is moving.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, I initially left it to them since they're experienced with tuning these kinds of motors. It's 2PM here and I still haven't gotten a call from them about picking the car up so it looks like it'll take another day, at this point I'm not even surprised at how slow everything is moving.
The plus side, it should be a beast when you get it complete.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The plus side, it should be a beast when you get it complete.
Yea, that's the only thing I'm looking forward to right now. I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait once it's all done. I'll post pictures and videos once I get it back.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,345 Posts
Just a heads up, a couple of members complained the whipple made noise when idling with the AC on. Try it out before the car leaves the shop.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a heads up, a couple of members complained the whipple made noise when idling with the AC on. Try it out before the car leaves the shopl.
Thanks man. I started mine up after the initial install and it seemed to sound fine. When I go in, I'll check the sound again with both the heat and AC and see if it makes that same noise. It's a shame for a company like Whipple to be making units that sound like that especially when other brands have done a better job when it comes to the quality and reliability.

From what I've seen on here, it seems that their customer service is also subpar when compared to the other brands. If anything does go wrong, it'll be a pain in the ass to resolve it with them.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just updated the post for the work done today. Still no car lol, this is just funny at this point.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Yea I was gonna go to tunetime for a simple cam install but they were asking double what other shops said. To be fair they werent the only ones asking that same price but I just ended up doing it myself. And $2000 for headers....wow. I paid $950 for my stainless works catless LT, 304 stainless and all.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I was gonna go to tunetime for a simple cam install but they were asking double what other shops said. To be fair they werent the only ones asking that same price but I just ended up doing it myself. And $2000 for headers....wow. I paid $950 for my stainless works catless LT, 304 stainless and all.
Yea man, they're charging the same per hour that most dealerships do, and charging for stuff that should be part of other installs. For example, they wouldn't let me get any other brand of headers than ARH, that's why I had to get them cheaper elsewhere instead of ordering through them.

Even with the brand they're comfortable with, they still charged me an extra hour to shorten the x-pipe, which I never would've thought would take an hour to do. Or be a separate charge altogether and not be included in the fitting work in the install.

It's not even like this is their first time doing it either, they exclusively deal with the Big 3 cars and have done dozens of header installs, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

The call that I got from them today just boggled my mind. They swapped in a bigger pulley for the Whipple so the belt was tighter, the engine starts knocking because of it and they tell me I have call to Whipple and figure it out myself. I get on the phone with Whipple for five minutes and they tell me that the kit comes with an adjustable idler pulley for just this reason and all they have to do is loosen the bolt and they could move the pulley to loosen the belt.

For a shop that does dozens of PD, and centrifugal superchargers, you'd think they've seen this before and know what to do. I don't know man, either I'm going nuts or this just seems like a competence issue.

The way it's been so far with them, I'm just waiting for another call tomorrow telling me something else is wrong.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Shorten the x-pipe? That's a thing? Idk if it's a different set up but my headers and midpipe matched up perfectly to my x-pipe.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shorten the x-pipe? That's a thing? Idk if it's a different set up but my headers and midpipe matched up perfectly to my x-pipe.
I have no idea, I'd have thought it would be a direct fit too. Some of the things they say to me just seems outlandish. I'm not one of the most technically inclined people out there but even thinking of it logically, what they say doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
I have no idea, I'd have thought it would be a direct fit too. Some of the things they say to me just seems outlandish. I'm not one of the most technically inclined people out there but even thinking of it logically, what they say doesn't make sense.
Yea that doesn't make any sense unless you ordered it for a charger or something, those MIGHT have a slightly different length in pipes but I'm pretty sure even then headers and midpipes are universal for challenger,charger, 300. The unfortunate problems you're dealing with are the exact reasons I do all my work at home.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Btw is your bottom end built?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts