Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
92 Posts
Pulling a theory out of my butt, I think its some kind of harmonics issue caused by both the AC load and the cadence of low RPM?

Or, you know...aliens.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,345 Posts
Pulling a theory out of my butt, I think its some kind of harmonics issue caused by both the AC load and the cadence of low RPM?

Or, you know...aliens.
Then it would also be an issue with magnuson units as they also only use a one belt system.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,887 Posts
That's a good idea too. My plan originally was to do the Snow kit with their 27L reservoir in the trunk but it doesn't look like they make it anymore.
I'd recommend that you give Julio at Alky Control a call. That's the system that I had on my old Vette and it worked Flawlessly. It was simple setup that worked off a MAP sensor and a basic looking controller. I have No affiliation with Julio and was just a satisfied customer and trying to pass on some info.

Hellcat kit at Alky Control....................

I'm glad to hear that you got your Challenger back and Hope that all of this was worth the trouble and that you are Happy with how she runs.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I've been shopping for SC's for a long time now (is there a statute of limitations on shopping time?!?), and because I'm a huge nerd I downloaded and read through the entire Whipple installation manual for 5.7's. Whipple is well aware of their rattle situation. Here is the very last page of manual:

Just thought it was interesting.
That is interesting, I wonder if they're doing anything to remedy it so that it functions quietly at idle like the Maggies.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'd recommend that you give Julio at Alky Control a call. That's the system that I had on my old Vette and it worked Flawlessly. It was simple setup that worked off a MAP sensor and a basic looking controller. I have No affiliation with Julio and was just a satisfied customer and trying to pass on some info.

Hellcat kit at Alky Control....................

I'm glad to hear that you got your Challenger back and Hope that all of this was worth the trouble and that you are Happy with how she runs.
That looks good, I definitely will when I decide to pull the trigger on it down the line.

Thank you, it was definitely worth the wait but not the hassle with the shop lol never again. It's not a long drive for me from NJ but from now on, anything big I'll have to drop the car off at HHP. They're pricey too but they're probably more knowledgeable with these cars and can give me an accurate quote to start with.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yikes. If it were me and a garage was pushing parts that I didn’t need I’d tell them to go to hell and find another shop. @Chllngrswpr werent you arguing with @praiseV8 that if you weren’t a builder a garage could tell and be inclined to take you to the cleaners?

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Yikes. If it were me and a garage was pushing parts that I didn’t need I’d tell them to go to hell and find another shop. @Chllngrswpr werent you arguing with @praiseV8 that if you weren’t a builder a garage could tell and be inclined to take you to the cleaners?
Yea, the Whipple install was done when they sprung all these problems on me during tuning. I wasn't left with much of a choice on the shop for the rest of it.

They definitely took me to the cleaners lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yea, the Whipple install was done when they sprung all these problems on me during tuning. I wasn't left with much of a choice on the shop for the rest of it.

They definitely took me to the cleaners lol
I don’t think you are the first person that has happened to and probably not the last. In the end hopefully it will be worth it and you will be wiser from the experience. I’m in no way an expert but 10 pounds of boost on a stock engine seems like a lot.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I don’t think you are the first person that has happened to and probably not the last. In the end hopefully it will be worth it and you will be wiser from the experience. I’m in no way an expert but 10 pounds of boost on a stock engine seems like a lot.
Yea definitely. I'll have to ask specific questions when I go in to a shop to get a quote.

As far as the boost, it is high. Most people are running the 3.5 pulley that comes with the kit for 8psi, mine is a 4.0 apparently putting out 10.5lbs so I'm not even sure how true that reading is from the shop.

Whipple says each size up is 1lb less boost so I'm 4 sizes above what the other Whipple 5.7s are running.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yea definitely. I'll have to ask specific questions when I go in to a shop to get a quote.

As far as the boost, it is high. Most people are running the 3.5 pulley that comes with the kit for 8psi, mine is a 4.0 apparently putting out 10.5lbs so I'm not even sure how true that reading is from the shop.

Whipple says each size up is 1lb less boost so I'm 4 sizes above what the other Whipple 5.7s are running.
You may look into getting an afr and boost Gauge and you are risking burning up your engine so you better do as much research as you can

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
You may look into getting an afr and boost Gauge and you are risking burning up your engine so you better do as much research as you can
Definitely wouldn't be a bad idea at all. And it's great to have if he ever mods anymore and has to retune

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yea, I'm working on that now. Trying to get into the shop that my friend uses to see what they think about the tune and find out how much boost I'm running exactly

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Definitely wouldn't be a bad idea at all. And it's great to have if he ever mods anymore and has to retune
Was planning to do a couple more things down the line but not until the money is good, so maybe in a year or so. Right now, I have another problem lol. The quarter panel in front of the both sides of the rear wheel wells are starting to bubble near the plastic rocker at the bottom. The car does have 110k miles and does get driven in the snow so I guess it is about to time to see some of that, especially since apparently the foam underneath the body gets wet causing rust issues.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
24 Posts
$1,100 for header install??? Idk if it's just me never having that done yet, but that seems extremely high for the actual work, no? Sucks that you went through this. Glad you mentioned you'd go to HHP going forward so you don't have to deal with that shop. Never heard of TTP. For me, unless it's one of the major aftermarket Hemi shops in the country, I don't think I could bring myself to send my car off to have work done.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
$1,100 for header install??? Idk if it's just me never having that done yet, but that seems extremely high for the actual work, no? Sucks that you went through this. Glad you mentioned you'd go to HHP going forward so you don't have to deal with that shop. Never heard of TTP. For me, unless it's one of the major aftermarket Hemi shops in the country, I don't think I could bring myself to send my car off to have work done.
$1100 is a little steep but not too far off in this area tbh (I live near TTP). That's why I just did my install myself but it was a real PITA.

Reactions: BaddSRT8

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
24 Posts
$1100 is a little steep but not too far off in this area tbh (I live near TTP). That's why I just did my install myself but it was a real PITA.
Good to know, thanks! Would like to get a pair in the future and wasn't sure of the time/cost it would take for the install.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,345 Posts
After doing LT header install on an RT I could probably do it now in 4-5 hours...so you figure shops charge ~$200 per hour (that's about the going rate here...BMW pro shops are like $250) that's not too far off. I will say, doing headers on a 2010 mustang GT is waaaay easier than on a 5.7 challenger.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Sorry for the late response, I was finishing up my exams. Yea, I thought it was excessive too. They charge around $130 per hour so they're charging for about 8-9 hours of work.

Yea, HHP seems a good idea moving forward. TTP mostly works on Chevys and sometimes Mopars but I went to them because they're the closest shop to me which my friend showed that specializes in domestics.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts