Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,346 Posts
Numbers look good. But that's to be expected. Engine has 26K+ miles. Break in is clearly behind it. Current oil has about half the nominal change by miles on it.

The oil is clearly doing its job.

It would be some interest to see the results of oil analysis at say just before 6K miles or if you change the oil before 6K miles then just before you change the oil.

I'm not a fan of oil analysis after oil analysis. But I did one on the oil from a new car with approx. 4K miles on the oil from new. The analysis numbers were ok but the water content was quite high. No coolant leak just water accumulation due to the engine running cool. This in winter. Even though I drove the car a lot -- that 4K miles I racked up in just 2 months of driving -- the engine was cool running. The results of the oil analysis convinced me no way would the oil "hold up" for the 15K miles the factory called for between oil changes. After the analysis I changed the oil ASAP and every 5K miles thereafter. When I sold the car with 317K miles the engine was still running strong using minimal oil between its 5K mile oil/filter services.

How do you get those done?
For the analysis I had done I used a local big rig oil change facility which had an oil analysis machine on site. I lived at the time in Oak Grove MO and there was a big rig oil change facility just off the I-70 freeway a few miles away from where I lived.

I stopped in one evening when there were no big rigs in any of the bays and after learning it had an oil analysis machine arranged to have an oil analysis done.

Of course you can collect a suitable oil sample and send it to Blackstone. I don't know the procedure for this but I bet it is detailed at the Blackstone web site.

Added: Link to Blackstone....

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
17 Posts
I've had Blackstone do my '09 Challenger SRT8 oil analysis from 77k when I bought it until 116k when it was totaled
( little old lady ran a red light ), every one of my reports had glowing reviews, all #'s below average, no metals, fuel, anti freeze etc., and I run the old girl pretty hard ( w/w out nitrous ) most of the time. Had quite a few Mustangs & Camaros for lunch and/or dinner lol. She was beautiful ( Hemi Orange Pearl, amber halos, amber grill lights ), but she's been laid to rest. Just picked up my new ride a month ago, she's a 2012 Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket w/ 6 spd manual trans. Gorgeous ride with 46k on the clock. Any way, sorry to ramble on so. I'll be sending Blackstone a sample soon as I change her oil. Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Reactions: Tape

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice report!

Here is my Pursuits Oil History starting off with a failing cam, living life with many, many drag strip passes, and then two long road trips! Last report had alot more work on her. Pushing a racecar around for a week, and a pikes peak climb.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
17 Posts
I'll see if I can post mine. Very interesting to see what's going on inside the engine. Some people scoff at the reports, but on one I sent in I wrote it as 20w50 Walmart brand semi synthetic with 8,000 +- miles on it. They told me I must have mixed up the sample. They read it as in the 0w40-5w40 family (it was 5w40) & also said it tested as a full synthetic with only 3,000-3,500 miles on it (3,200) & that I should be more careful with my samples.
:giggle:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern

Reactions: Tape

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Very interesting and useful. If don't mind me asking, what is the costs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very interesting and useful. If don't mind me asking, what is the costs?
$30 ish bucks. Sample it free.

For TBN which can tell you how much longer you could have gone on the oil is additional $10-$20 bucks wanna say.

They also do any kind of oil basically. Gearbox, Diff, Hydraulic, etc etc. I've sent in oil from Radial engines (aviation)

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Consume, Leak. Your choice. But not nearly but decent amount. Oil tanks on planes are typically rated in gallons.
Nothing like the sound and smoke of a radial engine on start up! :love:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Indeed. Only thing better is doing it yourself.

Sorry for hijack but......

I was part of a museum for a while and became well verse in care of a plane under an A&P. Eventually got to the point I was trained and allowed to start this wonderful beast. Wright Cyclone R-1820 approx 1400 hp.

I was so scarecited.
Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Aircraft

And next few weeks, after helping with re running some main power wire will get trained on start and run up on this as well I am hoping.

Vehicle World Wheel Aircraft Aviation

·
Banned
447 Posts
Would it not be possible to almost perfectly balance a radial engine? They have the crank with ALL the cylinders on one bank which could have the counterweights going the opposite direction.
Radials were quite popular, sporting air cooling and massive amounts of horsepower, especially in the case of the P47.
I am curious why they would go through so much oil. Would it be due to the oil settling in the lower cylinders by dint of gravity?

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is using SuperTech Walmart 5w-30 Full synthetic oil proving name brand oils in your Hellcat engine is not essential and with Mopar 899 filter.
I also run 90 octane no ethanol fuel.
One UOA of Full syn oil with a measly 3K miles on the sample, and less than 30K on the engine is no where close to be a basis for proving anything of the sort. It gives a good indication. But without multiple reports and longer mileage runs there is no trend to show. Just only an initial report.

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One UOA of Full syn oil with a measly 3K miles on the sample, and less than 30K on the engine is no where close to be a basis for proving anything of the sort. It gives a good indication. But without multiple reports and longer mileage runs there is no trend to show. Just only an initial report.
Whatever :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts