Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I kick around the thought of buying a new car, I flashed back to my first. It was a 1961 Dodge Pioneer, 2 door, slant 6, and 3 on the tree. Possibly one of the ugliest cars ever made, but I loved it. It was a car, and I was happy to have something. That car ran on anything I put in the gas tank:
cigarette lighter fluid, kerosene, isopropyl alchol, (I had to look that spelling up) paint thinner, and pretty much anything that was flamable. I was going to put some tequila in it once, but fortunately I came to my senses in the nick of time. I put it in me instead. It ran just fine on everything other than Texaco regular, and it knocked when I put that in.
I wanted to put the cross-ram engine in it, but there was no way I could afford it in high school.
It was a great car, and it really did hurt to get rid of it. I have had some super cars since then, but nothing I have ever been so attached to.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was lucky, my first was a '70 Challenger R/T with a 383 magnum. Modded and customized it over the next 10 years, dual quads, Candy and pearl paint. She finally retired of rust. I took anything of value off it and she now rests in peace, probably in a coke can. RIP to my first love.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I still own my first car, 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6. I begged and pleaded with my dad to sell it to me, took about 6 months of whining. Then one day, much to my surprise, he went to the bank with me and I took out a loan for it. I think it was around $1,800.00 in 1991. For a kid in high school that was quite a bit.

Recently he has been wanting to buy it back but I just can't let it go. It's fully restored and my daughters (twin 8 yr olds) enjoying taking it to car shows.

I have told him how incredibly irresponsible that was of him and I was amazed I'm still alive. I will NEVER let my girls have a first car like that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first car was a 1970 duster I bought for 50.00 it had a 6 in it, bought it at the age of 13, I change it over to a 440 4 speed by finding parts in the junk yard, it took me 2 yrs to get it running but it ran great drove it to high school and won alot of street races with it.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Mine was a 1966 Chevelle with a 283 4-speed, 3:11 Posi (or was it a 3:08?), headers, & Thrush Hush mufflers. It was a converted six cylinder car (small drums).

The car wasn't all that fast, but it was mine and it was fun. That motor was a real winder; up to 7,000 rpm on occasion. I don't know what cam was in it, but it was a bit sluggish until you got it wound up where it would then take off.

There were lots of good (and bad) memories with that car. I actually wish I still had it (except for the lousy brakes that would fade horribly if they got too hot).

·
Registered
355 Posts
1957 Ford two door sedan. V-8, three speed on the column. Cost me $250.00. Yea I know. First new car was a 1970 Duster 340. $3100,00. Mopar ever since.

·
Banned
811 Posts
My dad had (has) a 1970 Chevy Nova that he bought brand new in 1969. He *gave* it to me when I turned 16 in 1990. It was just a stock, base model Nova with a 307 and a 3 speed auto, nothing fancy. He laments that he didn't get the Yankel, which was available on the lot he bought from. The 307 was pretty shot, so he pulled it and threw in a rebuilt '64 283 that he had on hand when he gave it to me. I had one of the coolest cars in school. It wasn't super fast, but those 283 motors sure can wind up. It was a fun car. I held onto it for about 5 years, put alot of money and sweat into it rebuilding the suspension, painting it, and upgrading the breaks to front disc, and then gave it back to him as I moved on to other things. He since has put a 2004r tranny in it, and a 12 bolt rear end. The powertrain is pretty much bullet proof, except for the motor. It's still in his garage. He wants to drop a 350 crate motor in it and turbo it, I want to drop a 383 in it. We'll see. We want to take it to the strip and have some fun with it.

With this retro car trend going, I sure wish GM would bring back the Nova. I would totally buy one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
my first car was a 1971 2 door dodge dart. I paid $200 dollars for it from a little old lady, and proceeded to beat the crap out of it. We called it the "party darty", mostly for all the partying we did back then ( I shudder to think of my son doing the things I did), but when i think about it, it should have been for all the "parts" i put into it. I swear i put new ball joints in every weekend, it certainly seemed that way. I totaled it up one day and found that i put over $3000 dollars into that car but it was mostly fixing things i broke LOL. Sold it to a friend of mine who left it sitting for a year before he registered it. he ran it for a couple of months and i think the motor ceased on him. Man I would love to find that car again!!!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
My first car was a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal that I bought from an old guy for $2K when I was 17 years young.
It had a two-tone white/red paint job, Hemi 270 Super Red Ram & 2-speed PowerFlite automatic "titty" transmission.

My fondest memory of it is having cruised it outside of the L.A. Autoshow - it was a true head-turner.

Damn I miss that car. :ugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was a 1972 Plymouth Valiant slant 6 225, paid $250 and traded my Yamaha 100 enduro motorcycle, got it at age 15. It drank a quart of oil every few days, had a thursh muffler and an 8 track to cassette converter with a 40 watt Audiovox booster. It wasn't much but she was mine. Drove that car to school and work everyday, until one night she slung number 6 rod through the side of the block. Made a hell of noise, smoke poured out under the hood, and I still drove her home about another 2 miles. Traded her for scrap after my dad got all the parts he wanted off of her for his 65 dodge pick up with a slant 6 225. I then bought a 74 Charger and have been a Mopar man every since. I do wish i still had the Charger. Now I have my Challenger and I love her.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My first car was a 1966 Pontiac Lemans, I paid $900 for it in 1981 which was about $700 too much... Had the high school boces class rebuild the motor.

My second car was nicer, a 1972 GTO, 4-speed..

I attached pics of each

Attachments

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My first car was a '69 Olds Cutlass convertible, 350 auto, pale yellow with black top and black bucket seats, console, Rallye wheels. I wish I still had it.

My first hot rod was a '68 442 I bought for $350 with a blown motor. A friend had an Olds 455 out of a jet boat, and we put it in that car. It had a 4-speed with 3.91 posi. Manual drum brakes. Man, that car was scary in more ways than one.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Great thread.

First car for me was a 74 Roadrunner 318 auto, rusted out rear quarters. Bought it in 85 when I was 15 for 1700. When I was a senior, changed K frames, put a 383 in it from a 72 Roadrunner, that engine lived for 15 miles!

Put a 440 from a 72 imperial in it, that engine lasted about 100 miles. I was in high school, I had to go low budget.....

Got my first BJ in that car, damn that car was fun. Had it totally restored, had it on the road for like 3 weeks and rear-ended a buddy of mine, had to redo the front.

Had the car for 8 years and soooo many memories. Sold it to a good friend, he had it for a while and he sold it back to the original owner who completely restored it again and still has it.

I could type forever about all the stupid crazy stuff I did what that hot rod.

·
Registered
585 Posts
fresh out of basic 68 I was on the hunt for a nice ride, took a ride in a 67 396 Chevelle SS 4 spd $2800 at a used car lot, I liked it but decided to look at the Mopar dealer just down the way, there was 3 brand new Plymouth RR 383 4 speeds, my dad helped my buy it $3200, only option was a black vinyl top. After a couple years I traded for a 66 GTO 4spd and then a pair of 70 Olds 442 455 4spds and in 77 my muscle car days were over I got a civilian job with company car. FF to last year retired and my purchase of my SRT8. Boomerdom lives on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
First car, 1978 Jeep Cj7, 304V8 and 3 speed manual trans, ran great, body was junk. Never put it on the road, but i was fixing her up during high school. Then I bought a 76 Pontiac Grand prix for $100. 350cid and turbo 400 trans. Loved that car, drove her daily for 2 years, ran great. Rust took her from me and she went to the scrapper 3 years ago, still ran great, it was sad after owning the car for 10 years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow, Challenger owners seem to be those with fond memories of classic muscle cars from their youth. I am no different.

My first car was a dark green 69 Barracuda fastback with a /6 column shift auto. $400 on the used car lot in 87. Mechanically it never needed anything so all my time was spent on body work. We fit more people in that car that I could fit in my Challenger now. With the /6 it still made it up to about 110 pretty quickly. When I was away in the Navy my brother drove it too fast on a gravel road and took a nose dive into the ditch bending the frame.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
65 Kaiser JEEP Wagoneer-completely customized, big fenders, big wheels(tires), bucket seats, shift kit on a 400 turbohydramatic, custom metallic blue paint, functional hood scoop, trail lights, hand built dual exhaust for that beautiful Bulletproof Vigilante V8. Dad and I built every inch of her and I miss it dearly...sold it to go to college and never saw her again...great thread!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,637 Posts
My 1st car was a '70 Challenger. I bought it in 1977 for $1800.00. As you can see, it was hemi orange with a factory rallye stripe. It had a 340 with a 4 speed. It had a cam, headers, racing clutch....and an 8-track deck player. I wore out Boston, Journey, and Van Halen 8 tracks in that car. Sold it in 1982... wish I had it today.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
In July of 1966 I spent $200.00 of my saved paper route money on a 1962 Plymouth Valiant slant 6 225 W/3 on the floor. A lady ran a traffic light and totaled it out six months later.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts