Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 SXT... The more I drive this car the more I like many of the features.. Comin out of a 20 year old car to this is like steppin through a time warp.. Has the old time feelin but drives like a techno filed rocket. Having driven the original 440 Cuda driving the new one just feels the same.. But, so much better.

My only 2 grips are it has the cheapest performance tires ever made on it. Achillies Desert something or other.. So, I am already considering a new set of shoes.. Goodyears, Michellins or Perrelli.... I do have a questions that it seems is remarkable difficult to get a straight answer on.. My car came with 245/45r20 20-Inch Satin Carbon Aluminum Wheels.. My question is can I put a wider tread width tire? 255/45r20?? on this wheel and will it create any clearance issues?

My second gripe may be related to tires, it just seems like I am bouncing a bit more over normal road surfaces, I was expecting a stiffer ride but not bounce.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,660 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

On 20"x8" wheels, the widest recommended tire would be a 255/45, yes.

Bouncing could be tire related. Inflation, or just cheap tires. Unless you have bad shocks, or the ride is normal and you just aren't used to it. I don't ever think of mine as being bouncy

A Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from California ;)

On 20"x8" wheels, the widest recommended tire would be a 255/45, yes.

Bouncing could be tire related. Inflation, or just cheap tires. Unless you have bad shocks, or the ride is normal and you just aren't used to it. I don't ever think of mine as being bouncy

A Guy
Thanks... I put some serious miles today.. Once I filled up it seems a little better.. I too believe much of my complaints with respect to ride are related to the cheap ass tires if came with.. Thanks, for confirming what I suspected.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
welcome & congrats.
Upgrade your tires and I'll bet some of the bouncing will tone down. If tires are old or over inflated, they can create a hard ride. Never heard of that brand you mentioned, so a move to a recognizable brand name version would be my 1st order or business. Tire rack is good for not only selection, super fast shipping, but also tire sizing charts, info, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welcome & congrats.
Upgrade your tires and I'll bet some of the bouncing will tone down. If tires are old or over inflated, they can create a hard ride. Never heard of that brand you mentioned, so a move to a recognizable brand name version would be my 1st order or business. Tire rack is good for not only selection, super fast shipping, but also tire sizing charts, info, etc.
Yea, these tires are basically the cheapest Z rated tire you can buy.

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
Yea, these tires are basically the cheapest Z rated tire you can buy.
probably put on for the sale. originals probably worn out

how many miles on the car? shocks could be wearing, depending on the miles / roads it was driven on

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
probably put on for the sale. originals probably worn out

how many miles on the car? shocks could be wearing, depending on the miles / roads it was driven on
36k so not sure about the shocks, going to take it to my mechanic and throw it up on a rack.. I looked underneath when shopping and it was consistent with the mileage, no rust signs at all.. No fluid leaks.. Ride height seems good and it did seem to ride better with a full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE- Had it up on an alignment lift today.(Meaning the tires were not suspended) . Everything looks fine, no issues with the shocks or springs in the rear.. Filled up with gas again today and the bouncing has seriously diminished. Thanks to all who commented.. Saving for Goodyear 255/45r20 now..

Footnote- Full mechanical inspection went well. He went over it top to bottom, ran the computer check.. All is good, he gave it a big thumbs up.. So feelin great that I got a fair deal on a good car..

Bought my first accessories today.. Proclip GPS mount, sidemarker and tail-light tint kit, headlight halo kit and Blue El wire for the dash and a can of high heat blue spray paint for the calipers.. Let the games begin.. That is probably all I am going to do for a while, kind of like the clean look to the decals.. Now if I had an R/T or above that would be a different story.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts