Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I got my first kill with my 2011 IE 392. I know some of you guys frown on street racing - just know that this happened between two very close stoplights without any places for cars to enter the roadway. Also, we didn't get over 70 MPH. Here is what happened.

I'm on my way to work this morning when out of the corner of my eye I spot a 2011 Camaro with a bright orange paint job and white stripes. The guy starts waving at me so I give him a thumbs up - it was a nice looking car. I sped up just a bit to see the badge on his grill - SS. We're driving along for a bit and he's being a bit aggressive revving up his engine and do short acceleration bursts next to me.

About a mile later we end up at a stoplight next to each other. We both look at each other in that "is he going to go for it" sort of way. He looked like he wanted to race so I popped the shifter into autostick mode in preparation. The light turns green and he gets off the line about a half a car length ahead of me and is pulling hard. I get a good launch with no wheelspin and catch up and pass him within about a second. We both are accelerating hard until about 2/3 of the way to the next stoplight which is red. I'm almost 2 car lengths ahead of him when he finally gives up and starts slowing down.

At the next stoplight he rolls down his window and his jaw is just dropped wide open. You can tell he thought his Camaro was the fastest thing around. He says "wow your car is really quick". So I say "yeah the new 392's have 470 horsepower". He says "this car has 440 horsepower" (maybe he had some mods, since a stock SS is 426 HP). He smiles and waves again and says "nice car" and I say "you too" and then we're both on are way.

It was great to get to test the 392 out against the SS (and win). It was also a fun sense of camaraderie. It wasn't like it was adversarial, more like we both had fun new musclecars and were testing them out. Anyway, now I'm getting the itch to take the car to a real drag strip so I can really put it through it's paces :)

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Sounds like a good bit of fun! No, I don't condone street racing but can appreciate your encounter :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You're giving me 392 envy. Stop it.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
nice kill. I am sure you know better so no lecture here. we have ALL done it one time or another.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if he had an Automatic he only has 400 hp i believe

good job....its always nice to have the faster car....plus yours looks better than his too!

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you had enough road, you would have been about 6 car lengths ahead of him when you reach 1/4 mile. I know this from experience, the SS is no comparison! Get to the track and post some time slips!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you had enough road, you would have been about 6 car lengths ahead of him when you reach 1/4 mile. I know this from experience, the SS is no comparison! Get to the track and post some time slips!
I would love to get to the track. Anyone here from Georgia that knows of a drag strip within driving distance of Atlanta and want to show me the ropes :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure about any strips in Atlanta, but there is one near Augusta called Carolina Dragway in Jackson, SC.

From Atlanta area, take I-20 East to Augusta, GA. Take Bobby
Jones Expressway (520) East to the exit 16. Turn right for 1 mile to end. Turn right on Hwy. 28. Cross Savannah River into Beech Island, SC. Turn right on Hwy. 125 to Jackson, SC. Just before you reach Jackson, there is an IGA/Citgo store on the left. Turn left at the store onto Dragstrip Road.

I know they have open races but can't remember what nights they are on. I'm planning to take mine over there after I get a catch can installed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice encounter with him. I had a guy with a orange ss with I'm pretty sure twin turbos from the way it sounded wanted to run last night. But I didn't try him. I could have got him tho because it sounded like it was missing and he couldn't drive the 6 speed he has in it lol. The baddest street ride I ever rode in or drove was my dads 08 z06 corvette. The only down play for it was the 6 speed. That's why he got the zl550 camaro. And it runs close to the vette. Anyway didn't mean to high Jack your thread but I love my IE just as you do. It gets a lot of looks.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Way to go!

Glad he was a good sport about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts