Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought a 2010 RTC in March of 2013, the dealer showed me service records (which I have a
copy of) showing that an oil and filter change had recently been done, so I decided not to
bother changing the oil immediately upon taking ownership. The oil was at the full-mark on the dipstick and looked like fresh oil.

So now I get around to doing my first oil change, and I discovered the following:

1) I drained about 7 3/4 quarts out of it. (Yeah kinda anal to measure it, but since it was the first time for me, I kinda was curious and maybe had some doubts about the dealership ..........) Obviously more than the required 7 quarts of Mobile 1 5W-20 that I put in it. The current dipstick reading (waited the 5 minutes after running the engine for a few minutes) is in the 'safe' range, but clearly not at the 'top' of the range. I assume whoever did the oil change before me, kept adding oil until it reached the 'full' mark. So I need to burn my current dipstick reading into my mind as being the true 'full' mark, right ?

2) Instead of the Motorcraft 820 filter listed on the service record, I've been driving with a Carquest R84899 filter.
Maybe these filters are about the same quality, but kinda concerns me that it does not match the service record.
I installed a Pure One PL24651 filter. (Thank God, the oil filler cap says 5W-20 on it .......... which hopefully guided the shop actually to use 5W-20 ..... which is what the service record stated it used.)

So bottom line, I wish I'd changed oil right after buying the car .......... like I've done with all other used cars I've ever purchased.

I do want to thank everyone who has posted their oil change stories, pictures, etc - it really made this go smoothly.

BTW - I've got a fairly standard sized drain pan - where can I get something with larger capacity ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm jumping the gun here a bit because I haven't purchased my challenger (I'm gonna order in January if what I want isn't on the lot) but what type of oil did you go with? I see the number and brand but for a not so much gear head is that synthetic? Also this may be a dumb question in your mind but where did you jack the car up at to do it? Also did you notice any damage from previous oil changes? Reason I ask is because I've seen several ppl state their cars were damaged from where "mechanics" jack up their car or put it on a lift. BTW 3/4 of a qt over seems like a lot. However if I had to guess I bet they drained the oil fast and didn't let it all drain out. Then just added the recommended 7qts

·
Banned
290 Posts
When I bought a 2010 RTC in March of 2013, the dealer showed me service records (which I have a
copy of) showing that an oil and filter change had recently been done, so I decided not to
bother changing the oil immediately upon taking ownership. The oil was at the full-mark on the dipstick and looked like fresh oil.

So now I get around to doing my first oil change, and I discovered the following:

1) I drained about 7 3/4 quarts out of it. (Yeah kinda anal to measure it, but since it was the first time for me, I kinda was curious and maybe had some doubts about the dealership ..........) Obviously more than the required 7 quarts of Mobile 1 5W-20 that I put in it. The current dipstick reading (waited the 5 minutes after running the engine for a few minutes) is in the 'safe' range, but clearly not at the 'top' of the range. I assume whoever did the oil change before me, kept adding oil until it reached the 'full' mark. So I need to burn my current dipstick reading into my mind as being the true 'full' mark, right ?

2) Instead of the Motorcraft 820 filter listed on the service record, I've been driving with a Carquest R84899 filter.
Maybe these filters are about the same quality, but kinda concerns me that it does not match the service record.
I installed a Pure One PL24651 filter. (Thank God, the oil filler cap says 5W-20 on it .......... which hopefully guided the shop actually to use 5W-20 ..... which is what the service record stated it used.)

So bottom line, I wish I'd changed oil right after buying the car .......... like I've done with all other used cars I've ever purchased.

I do want to thank everyone who has posted their oil change stories, pictures, etc - it really made this go smoothly.

BTW - I've got a fairly standard sized drain pan - where can I get something with larger capacity ?
The dipsticks can be a little off. Mine is the same way, even at 7 quarts, it's not full according to the dipstick. However the 5.7 has been tested with 8 quarts down to 6 quarts, and it can run fine with either of those amounts.

If you want to put only 7 quarts or just fill it to the full line on the dipstick, that's up to you. Won't make a difference either way honestly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... what type of oil did you go with? I see the number and brand but for a not so much gear head is that synthetic? Also this may be a dumb question in your mind but where did you jack the car up at to do it? Also did you notice any damage from previous oil changes? Reason I ask is because I've seen several ppl state their cars were damaged from where "mechanics" jack up their car or put it on a lift. ...

I went with Mobile 1, which is full synthetic.

I drove the car up on Rhino ramps (no problems). I did not notice any damage from previous jack/lifting.

·
Premium Member
9,208 Posts
If you want a deep pan get a five gallon bucket (home depot) and put in any amount of water over 7 quarts I did 9 and mark that level on the outside of the bucket. Then empty the bucket and take a saw and cut it at that line and you have a great heavy duty pan. Mine is at least 20 years old now and still like new.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you want a deep pan get a five gallon bucket (home depot) and put in need any amount of water over 7 quarts I did 9 and mark that level on the outside of the bucket. Then empty the bucket and take a saw and cut it at that line and you have a great heavy duty pan. Mine is at least we years old now and still like new.
we = how many years ?? Is that a Jersey thing :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Did you pre-fill the oil filter? This could cause the 3/4 quart discrepancy. I can't recall if the 7 quart specification is just the capacity of the oil pan itself, or if it includes the filter as well. I have a feeling that it's only referring to the pan.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Did you pre-fill the oil filter? This could cause the 3/4 quart discrepancy. I can't recall if the 7 quart specification is just the capacity of the oil pan itself, or if it includes the filter as well. I have a feeling that it's only referring to the pan.
Capacity is 7 quarts including filter. :thumbsup:

It won't be at the full mark right after or even 10 minutes after filling or running the engine. Check it after it has sat all night, that's when it'll be pretty dang close to the full mark. At least, that's the way mine has been.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I put 7 quarts in every Hemi, never even pull the dipstick. If its the correct amount who cares what the stick says?
The stick is used for more than just checking after an oil change. If you don't know what "full" is after the car has been sitting for only a few minutes then you might assume that it's burned half a quart or more when, in reality, it hasn't burned any.

With OCIs being 6k-10k miles, anyone that doesn't check their oil level every 3k miles or so could be asking for trouble if they really ARE burning oil and they don't realize it until the oil pressure light comes on, but by then it's too late.

It's not about what the stick "says", it's about knowing your car.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
where can I get something with larger capacity ?
Any farm store should carry the larger drain pans. Found one after my first oil change and discovering my old pan held exactly 6 and 1/2 quarts of oil. :icon_mad:

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
When I change my oil (or even check it), the level is different on the "front" side than it is on the "back" side. It is always right up to the full mark exactly on the back side, but not on the front when I put 7 quarts in. :dunno:

So I put some marking on the back so I can read the level on either side. The hand-done add & full "marking" corresponds exactly with the marking on the front.

Here you can see the level right up to the top of the "hashed" area. The handle of the dip stick is toward the right in this picture.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
When I change my oil (or even check it), the level is different on the "front" side than it is on the "back" side. It is always right up to the full mark exactly on the back side, but not on the front when I put 7 quarts in. :dunno:

So I put some marking on the back so I can read the level on either side. The hand-done add & full "marking" corresponds exactly with the marking on the front.

Here you can see the level right up to the top of the "hashed" area. The handle of the dip stick is toward the right in this picture.

When I check my oil I always make sure the dipstick is in so that the writing on the handle is readable and not upside down.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
My last oil change I brought my own 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter for my 5.7. The mechanic came into the waiting room and mentioned that next time, bring an extra quart, because every 5.7 he has ever done an oil change on required an extra 1/2 quart or so. They had Mobil 1 in stock, so they topped it off for me, free of charge.
Keep an eye out at Costco, they have a sale on Mobile 1 right now. Best deal I have seen anywhere on 5W20 Mobil 1. Your results may vary!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to use a coolant drain bucket available at your local parts store. I use a black one for oils and the green one for coolant. Can hold close to 3 gallons and has a handle and spout and is low to the ground for ease of use.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
My last oil change I brought my own 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter for my 5.7. The mechanic came into the waiting room and mentioned that next time, bring an extra quart, because every 5.7 he has ever done an oil change on required an extra 1/2 quart or so. They had Mobil 1 in stock, so they topped it off for me, free of charge.
Keep an eye out at Costco, they have a sale on Mobile 1 right now. Best deal I have seen anywhere on 5W20 Mobil 1. Your results may vary!
The tech doesn't know what he's talking about. Check your oil in the morning before starting it, I bet you'll find it says it's overfilled. No matter what the dipstick says, the capacity is 7 quarts with filter. Sounds like the tech is filling, running the engine, shutting it off, then checking the level without letting it sit very long. Of course it's going to read lower, there's still oil that hasn't drained back into the pan. If you're going to the dealer it's usually a lackey doing oil changes and not an actual technician.

The good news is that half a quart over isn't a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
13,705 Posts
You can get a nice 7 gallon oil drain pan from Walmart for only $8.97.

It has a convenient space to allow your filter to drain and a pour spout (with cap) for easy disposal.

That's what I use. Works great.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The tech doesn't know what he's talking about. Check your oil in the morning before starting it, I bet you'll find it says it's overfilled. No matter what the dipstick says, the capacity is 7 quarts with filter. Sounds like the tech is filling, running the engine, shutting it off, then checking the level without letting it sit very long. Of course it's going to read lower, there's still oil that hasn't drained back into the pan. If you're going to the dealer it's usually a lackey doing oil changes and not an actual technician.

The good news is that half a quart over isn't a big deal.

At 7.5 quarts my dipstick shows a little under the full mark. It was like that on my 09 and 12 Ram 5.7 too.

Guess I do it out of habit of being taught as a kid that a little full was better than a little low.

·
Super Moderator
13,705 Posts
I only use 6.5 quarts of oil in my 6.1. I have found that 7 quarts will overfill the pan because .5 quarts remain in the block when you change the oil using car ramps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts