Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I am so happy to have found this website.

I went in to buy a 2016 challenger R/T new but because my credit was only 1 year old (im 23) they would only approve me for $25,000 at 10% interest. I did not want to get the R/T without getting the R/T plus and made a "responsible" decision as my dad said over the phone and I purchased the 2016 sxt. Not the plus, but still has plenty of features like the 8 inch screen and the upgraded sound system and I have the full intention of keeping it and upgrading it.

Here is the problem. I have no idea where to start upgrading because I don't know any brands and who to trust!

What I want first is:

Rally stripes - Preferably vinyl, typical price for installation? I want a shop to do it for me.

Exhaust to make it sound more like the car I wanted (I hear flomaster is good but have no idea which model or how much it should cost for the part, and how much to install)

Cold Air Intake, again... which brands? I could probably install that myself.

Would like to tune the car after getting new exhaust and air intake. possibly diablo? but that is later down the line.

Spoiler w/camera Do I just buy it off ebay or have a shop install for me?

Black out my wheels I would like to do this the proper way. Go to the dealer to have them do it?

Sorry if this is too much to ask for. I am new to the forum and if someone doesn't want to take the time to answer all those questions you can just link me posts about it and ill find my way into the right area.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
That is a beautiful car you have there!
Welcome to the forum.
Take your time with the mods, look around the forum and get ideas!
My advise on the cold air intake is get the one that looks the best to your eye!
My first Challenger mod was a Mopar cold air intake. I loved the fact it had the Mopar logo on it!
Enjoy your ride!
Tom.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm not sure about the SXT exhaust. But I can say the resonator delete on my SRT woke the exhaust right up for 1/4 of he money. On the Scat pack I'm reading up everyone says to do a mid muffler delete. Use the search function . It really helps me out.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Welcome here,

To address a few of your questions, I buy my vinyl stripes from Ridergraphix. I install them myself with a helper to hold the other end, but I hear window tint shops can do it for you too.

RiderGraphix.com 2015 & Up Dodge Challenger Stripes Graphics Decals Dodge Charger Graphics Ford Mustang Graphics Chevy Silverado Graphics Retro Custom Graphics Stripes Decals Boss Hockey Stick HEMI

If you are trying to go the cheap way with the cold air intake, I went with Airaid. They have a blue filter element also. You can install this yourself.

350-210 - AIRAID , AIRAID Intake Kit

As for the tuner...I would put that on the back burner for now. In these new cars, you not only have to buy the tuner, but a modified PCM as well. I think Diablo is asking $800 for both. I had a Diablo tuner for my 2013 SXT. To be honest, I wasn't blown away with the results. Others can chime in here, but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
First off, congrats on the new Challenger SXT. She is a real beauty.

I started out with a 2015 Bright White SXT. Loved her! She had so much pep to her. Way more than you will ever need and at 23 you really need to keep the driving record clean as you will be coming up on a big savings point at 25 with a clean record. Money in the bank. : )

As far as the upgrades went, I can only speak for myself, although, I did found quite a bit of useful information on CT that helped me in my decision making. Use the "search" feature often as just about anything you can come up with has already been asked and answered. No waiting! ; )

So, back to the list, a Challenger, is like a Jeep; lots to accessorize. Lay everything out in a list that you are thinking of for adds even before you ever purchase the first bolt on. Then, tuck the impatient factor away, and really think about the quality / reputation of parts that you want for your baby. Do you plan on showing off her engine compartment? Think about things like that. Don't settle for what you can afford at the moment if what you want is just out of reach, save for it. You will be thankful later. The SXT does sound sweet with rez del, but there are some cat-back systems that I have heard on youtube that I would consider also. It won't sound like an R/T, but it should sound closer to matching her looks.

Enjoy your new ride!!!

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,214 Posts
welcome & congrats!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'd consider a spoiler on that rear lid. CAI will do nothing for performance, just looks cool. Tune-not worth the few HP you get for the money and jeopardises your drivetrane warrantee.. Mostly needed for major mods like headers/cat backs, super charger etc. Wheels-I've heard of guys using plasti-dip but have no experience with it. Lots of real nice custom wheels to choose from out there. Exhaust-mid muffler delete is a popular and affordable option although my stock exhaust found more bark after some miles so I am loving mine but the six may be different.

Nice ride, welcome, enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats man. I also bougth a 2010 challenger SE back in 2012 had the same questions and honestly on my experience I looked and found alot on craiglist. Youll be amazed at what you can find if you searched nearby cities and frequently check if anything new was posted. My car came in plain but i have modified it with time. I found new 20s "classics" dodge rims for 200 with only a minor mark unoticable unless you where inches away. Bougth a complete srt full cat back exaust for 100.Back in 2010 dual cats where optional. Bougth a ebay rear wing for 100 painted it at home. But man i had let stuff go. A guy had brand new custom hurst embroided leather seats for the whole car but said he didnt wanted them after all and wanted 300:s. For the wheels i have use plasti dip but i dont recomended. Hard to aply on whels itll last you a couple months. Plasti dip is good but for other stuff ast trim you would not be usualy touching all the time. I recomen autodip check it out. Easy to spray and self cure when it gets scratched that thing is insane. A little more pricy but look a the comparisons to plasti dip on youtube. On the performance point of view you have to ask yourself, you whant it to sound fast or be fast? If its just to sound some flowmasters and intake would do. Now if you whant to compete to a srt or rt their are superchargers for you sxt thatll give you just enougth to compete or maybe beat a stock rt/srt .I would save my money on my tune till you have a turbo o supercharger on it. Itll only give feel like a couple ponies more for a huge amount of cash. All pf this is my opinion of coarse:) I would recomend craiglist theres alot of new and used things for challengers that are hard to find or never knew existed.For example theres a guy that makes custom door steps that have illuminated matching interior led "challenger " letters on it and man does it looks clean .

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but look for a local MOPAR car club in your area. I learned a lot from my club and was able to sample what others have done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,587 Posts
Welcome from California. Spend some time reading here and you'll soon have more ideas than money ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely do not do the tune. Chrysler is now requiring a PCM reprogramming count scan for any issues that relate to the drivetrain. If you are going to do it you need a second PCM so you can keep yours clean. Mid-muffler is definitely the way to go vs resonators. imo; though that is more important on the cars with MDS because the 4 cyl drone is really bad when you delete the resonators. You might not notice so much on yours since it lacks MDS.

One upgrade you might want to look at is the Tazer (I cannot post links yet) but just do a search for the dodge Tazer and you will find it. A lot of cool features and option open up when you plug it in & it does not affect your warranty

-Things like
-Enable Nav address /phone texting while driving
-Disable belt chime
- DRL drop removal
-Fogs w/highbeams if you have them
-Performance screens on the EVIC

...And about 20 more things you can play with and change to your hearts desire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts