Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my project I started back In October and was put on hold because of covid. Now I just finished this week. I used high gloss red powder and Cadillac grey from prismatic powders on the front calipers. Then I used clear vision also from prismatic powders as top coat. I miss placed the brake fluid tube on one of the rear calipers lol but it’s fixed now
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive lighting Grey Red Automotive design Toy
Hood Toy Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
158 Posts
How much work to dis-assemble, I assume you removed the pistons and seals, are there new replacements or did you remove them and reinstall after you coated them?

Maybe you can be the site expert on powder coating ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Powder Coating
Equipment I used

Eastwood powder coating gun
Oester XL digital 450’ oven
I got all my powders from prismatic powders
I use clear vision as the top coat from prismatic powders.
Any high temp masking tape should be fine to use when baking your calipers. They need to withstand 450’+ temperatures.
I watch the guide for powder coating from
Eastwood on YouTube

As for disassembling and sand blasting the calipers is what took most of my time because I used a bench top sand blasting equipment, and I only use a 5hp air compressor with a 150 gallon capacity

To disassemble the front caliper I use a high torque 1/2 impact wrench. 1500 pound breakaway torque to be exact. I tried disassembling the front caliper without impact wrench is near impossible. Even with a breaker bar. Thanks to the impact wrench it finally gave in.

I have to reuse the boot seals from the old caliper and just replaced the ones that are damaged.

I prefer powder coated than spray paint because of durability and able to withstand high temperatures specially when braking. It’s resistant to chipping and degradation. Rather than chipping away the paint, powder coated metals can bend. You can watch that on YouTube. This is all I did on my powder coating. I would do this again and again if time allows it.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Thank you all. Planning on putting these babies on my 5.7 chally
Would you be able to report how that install goes and what extra parts you needed to make it fit? I basically need brembos at this point with my extra power and the high speed racing events I go to but wanna make sure I have everything needed before starting the install.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,607 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done! Those turned out Great and Thanks for the powdercoating info too!

·
Premium Member
10,377 Posts
Powder Coating
Equipment I used

Eastwood powder coating gun
Oester XL digital 450’ oven
I got all my powders from prismatic powders
I use clear vision as the top coat from prismatic powders.
Any high temp masking tape should be fine to use when baking your calipers. They need to withstand 450’+ temperatures.
I watch the guide for powder coating from
Eastwood on YouTube

As for disassembling and sand blasting the calipers is what took most of my time because I used a bench top sand blasting equipment, and I only use a 5hp air compressor with a 150 gallon capacity

To disassemble the front caliper I use a high torque 1/2 impact wrench. 1500 pound breakaway torque to be exact. I tried disassembling the front caliper without impact wrench is near impossible. Even with a breaker bar. Thanks to the impact wrench it finally gave in.

I have to reuse the boot seals from the old caliper and just replaced the ones that are damaged.

I prefer powder coated than spray paint because of durability and able to withstand high temperatures specially when braking. It’s resistant to chipping and degradation. Rather than chipping away the paint, powder coated metals can bend. You can watch that on YouTube. This is all I did on my powder coating. I would do this again and again if time allows it.
I’m fortunate to have an Eastwood store with 30 minutes of my house, great company and products. I’m there at least every other weekend.

Reactions: VNT

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Great job. Pic of them on the car when you get done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you cover up the Brembo script when the powder coated the caliper?
Script? You mean the brembo logo? Once you’re done powder coating, you can stick the brembo logo when it’s cool enough to touch. Then apply clear vision after wards.

With the Cadillac grey color it doesn’t require top coat and it’s durable as it is. When I powder coated the caliper bolts, it didn’t chipped when I tighten it with impact wrench. The impact wrench tightened it so hard that the bolt head bent and no damage to the paint

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Looks great, good job (y)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
10,377 Posts
Script? You mean the brembo logo? Once you’re done powder coating, you can stick the brembo logo when it’s cool enough to touch. Then apply clear vision after wards.

With the Cadillac grey color it doesn’t require top coat and it’s durable as it is. When I powder coated the caliper bolts, it didn’t chipped when I tighten it with impact wrench. The impact wrench tightened it so hard that the bolt head bent and no damage to the paint
Why not just use a torque wrench? To tight stretches and fatigues the bolt.

Reactions: FreddyG
1 - 20 of 20 Posts