Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my Crystal Granite 2015 Challenger SRT to this...

I held out as long as I could: longer than I should have. With my daughter turning 16 and getting her own car, her still being on my insurance policy, taking in an 18 year old who was in a bad situation and needed a home, and many other expenses, I just couldn't afford to keep the Challenger.

So with this new glorified golf cart comes a payment that is less than half what it was, lower insurance, and almost no gas costs. So I'm hoping it will help me focus on things that are more important right now. I've enjoyed being here and being a Challenger owner for the past 9 years and hopefully with some hard work on upcoming endeavors, I'll be back sooner than I think.

For now, if you're near Tampa to Sarasota and a guy in a slightly used white Chevy Volt waves at you... that'd be me. And if I honk 3 times, show me those beautiful taillights. ;)

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
You'll get no grief from me. I sold my Harley (09 Softail Night Train, Denim Black) to buy my first home. Since then I've sold that home, moved back to WV, bought an income producing duplex, been promoted faster than anticipated, and I've putt my butt in a 15 Scat Pack and now a 17 Wrangler Rubicon as well.

Make the decisions you have to make at the right time, eventually things will come back around. You sound like a very caring person, making sure your child, and someone else's, have everything they need.

Good luck!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree with Hollywood Ball. We've all done it. You'll be driving something cool again when the time is right. Take care of those kids. Good Luck w/everything. :|

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know how it feels. In 2008 I had to sell my heavily modded and motor swapped 1997 Mustang GT. It wasn't until last month that I was finally able to get back into a V8 muscle car.

Don't give up hope!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Funny thing is, it looks like people want to "talk" about the Volt as much as the Challenger, just for different reasons. I was exhausted after all day at the dealer yesterday doing the trade so I stopped at McDonald's on the way home as I wasn't up to fixing dinner. Figured I already lost part of my soul, so a quarter pounder seemed appropriate. It's one of those two lane drive thru lines and after I order, I hear a modded Mustang next to me in the other lane. Guy rolls down the window and says "Hey, I can't hear your car". :) I smiled and said, "Yeah, not used to that. I just came from trading in my Challenger SRT for this." His comment, word for word, was "YOU'RE SHITTING ME!" :D

Oh well, I'll always be a car guy and the Volt is "cute" I guess. Drives smooth and all. But I can already feel my right foot frowning. I'll be back when the time is right!

Mike

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
So what CAI are you going to install....kidding. Hat's off to you sir, not easy putting others before you. +1000 good karma points awarded to you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, that had to be hard but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Hopefully some day you can get back into another one.

Wayne

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is the thing about cars, they come and go....you'll be back, I guarantee it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Much respect for you! Good karma will make sure to find its ways to have you back in a Challenger in no time!

·
Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
145 Posts
You did the right thing and good karma will come back around to award you - preferably in the form of a Challenger. Kudos to you, sir.

saint 0:)

·
Registered
2012 R/T Classic
769 Posts
Putting family first is never a mistake. Good on you for making the right decision given current circumstances :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
What have you done? You’ve done the right thing. No shame there. A real man always takes care of his family first. Wish you all the best buddy:)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I too raise a glass to you sir tonight. I sold my SRT last month after 8 years and I no longer drive my pickup as I face my life's current challenges. I now drive a 1992 Jetta and am digging the gas savings.

I'm a big fan of electric cars too (especially ones that are Hellcat fast). You are sacrificing for important things in your life and no one can fault you for that.

BTW - I love Challengers and long for a new one, but I am starting to get used to the 10-12 days between fill ups. I'm really fed up with the pricing games big oil plays up in my neck of the woods. Torn because my favorite vehicles are Ram and Chev/GM trucks and Challengers.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I respect anyone who puts responsibility first and their car second. Eventually your kids will probably make big bucks and can help you get a truly bad ass Challenger again. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I respect anyone who puts responsibility first and their car second. Eventually your kids will probably make big bucks and can help you get a truly bad ass Challenger again. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks! My daughter is on her way to being a professional singer so in the event she makes it big, she asked me what "money is no object" car I'd pick. I told her a Lamborghini Huracan. ;) Right now I'm just working to get the kids to college and once they are set up and I've straightened out my finances, it might be the next Challenger refresh that goes in my garage.

As for the Volt, it's certainly different. There's something to be said to being able to take off in a "spirited" fashion without turning heads in a 3 block radius. I can take off pretty quick in the volt without getting looks of disgust from the old folks around here. :D

Mike

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
If you contribute half to the Volt community as you have to the Challenger community, then the Volts will be far better off.

My respect for making the right decisions as to what is a priority in life. May your family prosper from your "sacrifice", and may your road remain ever open.

·
Registered
454 Posts
From my Crystal Granite 2015 Challenger SRT to this...

I held out as long as I could: longer than I should have. With my daughter turning 16 and getting her own car, her still being on my insurance policy, taking in an 18 year old who was in a bad situation and needed a home, and many other expenses, I just couldn't afford to keep the Challenger.

So with this new glorified golf cart comes a payment that is less than half what it was, lower insurance, and almost no gas costs. So I'm hoping it will help me focus on things that are more important right now. I've enjoyed being here and being a Challenger owner for the past 9 years and hopefully with some hard work on upcoming endeavors, I'll be back sooner than I think.

For now, if you're near Tampa to Sarasota and a guy in a slightly used white Chevy Volt waves at you... that'd be me. And if I honk 3 times, show me those beautiful taillights. ;)

Mike
Good for you Mike. REAL men do put their families above all else as you've done!
Bill <><

1 - 20 of 24 Posts