Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I get that some of these items were free with the mopar bucks but
How the heck can they make a cargo cover that can't fit under the speaker

just design 1 for the proper stereo configuration ?

Why does the drivers mat only have 1 mount hole ????

While I'm at it would it have killed them to offer Power seat on the
psngr side for 50 large ???

Wonder if my mopar 10 gas cap & mopar wheel locks will fit :scratchhead:

I only have 100 miles on the car so still 'discovering' lotsa things

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
man your a complainer!!

quit expecting perfection and accept it!

the car is full of flaws everywhere that a $50k car shouldnt have

the (2) things you cant complain about: the car is awesome looking and the performance awesome

you sacrifice everything else for those (2) things...thats why we bought our Challengers

Pretend in your head that you paid $25k for it....youll be satisfied with everything then......its the $50k part that raises your expectations to a level Dodge cant do......i will be looking Vipers over next time i see them...i wonder if the owners have similar complaints or did Dodge put more effort into their $80k cars.....or is the viper built with the same build quality as a Neon too?????

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it comes to the mats, trunk liner etc..
I get the feeling that they knew they screwed up the design
so they dumped them with the mopar $$$

Would've been happier with weathertech mats & trunk liner

Had a viper it's a great & solid car.
Looks unfinished when you open the trunk
or see behind the body panels
but that's it's RIM resin/fiberglass body.
Interior was OK , seats were good, design of the
dash was cool IMO but the materials were sup par
gauges kinda chintzy & radio stunk .

Exterior Styling , Engine & Tranny made you feel like
you had an exotic light. Plus you had a convertible option.

Back to the chally , hopefully the mud flaps will fit

·
Registered
416 Posts
I love my 07 Charger SRT8... my passenger seat is powered... but a 2011 "IE" Challenger's isn't?! Did I read that right? Seriously?!

*there's a thread on here about a bunch of rust on the undercarriage of a 2011 RT... so go figure. They skimped on rust protection for non-friction exposed metal under the car, dual power seats and non-forged internals... but they keep raising the price!

I love your Challengers, and I want one BAD... but it makes me crazy that the little things that DO matter to most who value their money, do NOT matter to Dodge at all.

I think all you 2011 Challenger owners should start a thread to compile a list of complaints both big and large and throw that at the engineers during their next chat session...

Maybe one of you who takes the time to get photoshots with Gilles can use that time more wisely and ask him about these shortcomings instead of trying to be all buddy-buddy. He has his job because we buy his cars... he's RICH because we spend our $$$. He should justify these shortfalls... especially when YOU just gave him $50LARGE. Mr. Gilles may be a great person and a true car guy, but that shouldn't equate to you all buying cars with shortfalls.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i think the SRT8 Challenger has to be a super profit car...probably 4x what they make on the SE

in my business there are types of jobs where you can make 10% profit and other jobs that make 40% profit...its just where the market is...i suspect the SRT8 is their high profit market(no i dont think they make 40%, but ill bet its a lot for a car manufacturer)

if they put $2k more into their car it would be significantly better...the things is they dont have to and thats why they dont...most people just drive it and dont even bother looking at the details....they arent thinking about it being a 20 year collectible like you and me...to us its ART not just a car

ps. the trunk mat doesnt bug me...i folded the end over and havent thought about it since....its shows something about Dodge over all though...just the fact that i had to fold it over(rig it)

havent looked at my floor mats either....

You may be fussier than me? you just dont have enough miles on her yet...i still got to get my headliner fixed...my 7 year old asked why its crooked the other day...i never showed it to him...he caught it on his own while sitting in the back seat....a 7 year old can see its crooked, yet a QA person on the assembly line couldnt

·
Premium Member
10,890 Posts
I wouldn't expect a Viper to have all the nice features...it is a car built for power...nothing else lol The Viper makes no excuses...it says here I am, I have power...and watch out lol

You want Power and Comfort? Look into a Mercedes AMG :)

Challengers are great cars, could they use some improvements? Yes! And that can be said for just about ANY car on the Market...no matter the price point lol

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Trunk mat: Place it under the subwoofer (10 mm nut on bracket above), trace a faint line on the mat around the entire outside edge of the subwoofer, using sharp scissors cut the mat 1/2" to the outside of that line, tuck that 1/2" edge under the subwoofer. Custom fit, and can still access trunk storage bin.

Locking gas cap: Fits fine.

Mopar gas cap cover: Fits fine - PM for install tips if you want.

Mudflaps: Install requires modification from the directions (which are wrong for a 2011). PM me for install tips if you want.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Mudflaps: Install requires modification from the directions (which are wrong for a 2011). PM me for install tips if you want.
Thx for the tips , will PM you on the flaps or feel free to post them here

As for the viper. When I bought mine traded my 06 Z06
both cars had similar power , torque , trannies & obviously
I knew I was giving up some creature comforts for the viper
& cool tech like head up display , touch screen Nav etc..
but that's not really an excuse for cheap or outdated components
like the knobs , radio etc...There's a reason the viper has gone MIA

In 92 when the viper was launched it blew most of the comp away with
400 hp

Now you have 550 hp in a mustang & soon camaro

You have to do a bit better for 85-110K in 2011 & on

That said I still love my chally & dug my viper :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Off the top of my head:

There are two screws on the fronts which hold the rocker cover in place. There are compression plastic nuts on the back side. Dont' discard these or replace them with POM rivets like the directions say to do.

The drill bit size for the POM rivet holes is wrong in the instructions. It's 1/4" and not 1/8".

The holes don't line-up with the factory locations, so you will have to drill your own in some cases. For the fronts I ended up using the 2 screws (see above) and then 2 POM rivets for a total of 4 attachment points.

For the rears, one hole doesn't line-up, so you'll need to drill a new hole.

If anyone is also installing the Mopar gas cap cover, do it while you have the rear wheel off and the fender well exposed for the mud flap install. Remove the metric bolt at the bottom rear of the fender well and then pull out the fender well (it tucks up under the fender). Reach up inside and compress the 4 tabs while a helper pulls on the cover from the outside. The rubber gasket around the filler neck will make it a little sticky, but it will come off. After popping in the Mopar version, make sure to re-tuck the filler neck gasket into the channel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Off the top of my head:

There are two screws on the fronts which hold the rocker cover in place. There are compression plastic nuts on the back side. Dont' discard these or replace them with POM rivets like the directions say to do.

The drill bit size for the POM rivet holes is wrong in the instructions. It's 1/4" and not 1/8".

The holes don't line-up with the factory locations, so you will have to drill your own in some cases. For the fronts I ended up using the 2 screws (see above) and then 2 POM rivets for a total of 4 attachment points.

For the rears, one hole doesn't line-up, so you'll need to drill a new hole.

If anyone is also installing the Mopar gas cap cover, do it while you have the rear wheel off and the fender well exposed for the mud flap install. Remove the metric bolt at the bottom rear of the fender well and then pull out the fender well (it tucks up under the fender). Reach up inside and compress the 4 tabs while a helper pulls on the cover from the outside. The rubber gasket around the filler neck will make it a little sticky, but it will come off. After popping in the Mopar version, make sure to re-tuck the filler neck gasket into the channel.
Thx that's very helpful !

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
...i will be looking Vipers over next time i see them...i wonder if the owners have similar complaints or did Dodge put more effort into their $80k cars.....or is the viper built with the same build quality as a Neon too?????
For the $$ that you pay for a Viper, its shocking what you get in terms of the quality of materials and finish. Look under the hood of a Viper and see how the wire harnesses and brackets are executed - not so great there either. The Corvette is finished off much better and for less $ to boot.

The 1st Gen Vipers had really poor paint finishes and seeing these 20 year old cars at shows - the interiors don't age very well. Those cars are going to have restorations needing to be done years ahead of anything else, relative to the age they are.

The '09 Viper that sat on the showroom for over a year when I ordered (and then picked up later) was MSRP of $115k...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I love my 07 Charger SRT8... my passenger seat is powered... but a 2011 "IE" Challenger's isn't?! Did I read that right? Seriously?!

*there's a thread on here about a bunch of rust on the undercarriage of a 2011 RT... so go figure. They skimped on rust protection for non-friction exposed metal under the car, dual power seats and non-forged internals... but they keep raising the price!

I love your Challengers, and I want one BAD... but it makes me crazy that the little things that DO matter to most who value their money, do NOT matter to Dodge at all.

I think all you 2011 Challenger owners should start a thread to compile a list of complaints both big and large and throw that at the engineers during their next chat session...

Maybe one of you who takes the time to get photoshots with Gilles can use that time more wisely and ask him about these shortcomings instead of trying to be all buddy-buddy. He has his job because we buy his cars... he's RICH because we spend our $$$. He should justify these shortfalls... especially when YOU just gave him $50LARGE. Mr. Gilles may be a great person and a true car guy, but that shouldn't equate to you all buying cars with shortfalls.

The passenger seat is non power because it has a quick release function to get rear seat passengers in and out quickly. I can understanding being ticked about forged internals most of us are. Have you even driven a 392 yet? You have a lot of frustration towards a car you don't own yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts