Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long been in the search for a good sounding exhaust but did not want the drone but wanted good loud sound when in wide open throttle.

1-I started by removing the stock resonators and replaced with straight pipe keeping the stock mufflers. Loader tone but had bad drone in lower RPMs (1600 1900) and couldn't stand it. Plus when it went to 4 cyl mode it sounded like crap.

2.-Replaced stock mufflers with Flowmaster 40s. Again good sound but crazy drone in lower RPMs plus 4cyl mode crap

3.-Purchased Corsa Xtreme exhaust. Had good tone and no drone plus 4cyl mode was barley noticeable. Drove this for awhile but was really wanting more volume like 30 to 40% more.

4.-Removed Corsa resonators which gave me the volume and sound I wanted but the drone was back but in higher RPMs (about 2,000 to 2200) and the 4 cyl mode was crap. Drove with this for a few weeks.

5.-Finally I decided to try one more thing which I realized I had not given a shot. I put the Corsa resonators back on removed the Corsa mufflers and replaced with straight pipe. All I can say is WHY DIDN'T I TRY THIS FIRST!!!!!:disgust:
I have just the right volume with NO drone and you can barley tell when it goes into 4 cyl mode. WOT sounds crazy good and when your not on it and just cursing it is mellow but give it a little throttle and that great sound comes back. Idle sounds sooo good and even low speeds has such a good low rumble. At no time is it loud inside the car, it's like all the volume is behind the car. I don't know if removing the stock mufflers and leaving the stock resonators on would have the same result but I think it probably would or close to it. I just cannot get over how the resonators took out all the drone with or without mufflers. I would think if you wanted just moderate volume you could do a very short glass pack but leave the resonators on if you don't want any drone.

I could not be happier, well I would be if I had started with muffler delete.:)

Hope this helps anyone trying to get a sound the engine deserves.

Oh I have 5.7 hemi with auto.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please post a vid that captures that sound. I am on the same mission, and I also have a 2014 Challenger R/T Classic.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,399 Posts
I tried the reso delete with the stock muffler, the drone was horrible and even worse in 4 cyl mode. Installed a Flowmaster cat back and bought a used Predator to turn off the MDS.....PERFECT sound to my ears!!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I would think if you wanted just moderate volume you could do a very short glass pack but leave the resonators on if you don't want any drone.

I could not be happier, well I would be if I had started with muffler delete.:)

Hope this helps anyone trying to get a sound the engine deserves.

Oh I have 5.7 hemi with auto.
You pretty much just described my exhaust setup (short glasspacks + oem resonators). :D

I'm glad you found a combo that hits the sound you have been seeking!

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will post something maybe tomorrow if I can figure out how to but I listen to sound bits till I was blue in the face and they really don't accurately reflect real life.

I just wish I had started with the muffler delete first but I'm telling you, you have to keep a resonator if you don't want drone! Even with the resonator the sound is powerful but not gross or irate.

It just blows my mind how it puts all the sound to the rear of the vehicle with nothing under the car creating drone. Oh the switch to 4cly mode is hard to detect.

Just to clear up also, the mufflers are in the front and the resonators are in the rear. You would not believe how many people get this confused.

72/340- I'm not surprised had the same issues but with this I didn't have to turn off the 4 cly mode.

Thanks Randy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had pretty much narrowed down my options to Solo, Corsa, and Zoomers based on reviews and positive posts. Now you throw your creative genius at us and my OCD is in full effect. Being deaf in one ear I never knew what "drone" was. I just always thought that's what it suppose to sound like.

·
Registered
104 Posts
beauty

The perfect sound may really be "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (or ear) Purchased my R/T auto 'pre-owned" and immediately went about changing the "silent muscle car stigma".ordered a slightly used Hearthrob /summit racing system off Ebay for a bargain $200 w/shipping.Have to say I wasnt disappointed.Sound is deep & incredibly obnoxious as a muscle car should be.the drone is over-abundant especially in to 2K range & makes cabin conversations almost impossible (sometimes a good thing if not alone..) after 2 years the mini-what pass for glass packs have all but settled-making it overall louder.-But i still love being able to drown out every car/motorcycle within range.had purchased Oem bluetooth interface 2 years ago but didnt install until recently (using bluetooth headset made conversations short & almost impossible (sound like Chewbacca on Ludes!) >I was amazed when I finally installed factory bluetooth kit and the wife actually said "are you in the car? -I cant tell" Bonus is it also came with Ipod interface!.Might be Mercedes influenced as the writing on Microphone (mounted mine by sunglass holder instead of pilar where suggested) is in German,Anyway back to exhaust -I did try to deaden the Drone by installing Car Concepts baffles in the 3" pipes just behind the mufflers>this did cut the overall noise by probably 20% -but did nothing to kill the drone.Still love this system though for its sheer power sound at WOT as well as its crackle & burble when coming to a stop & the ability to "blip the throttle even" with automatic like a manual car -thanks to the throttle -by-wire response of the gas pedal. To each his/her own!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Vanish, would you like your system better if you had all the sound your talking about but none of the drone??

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Anyone near Anniston Alabama which is near me, I would be happy to give you live sound tracks and let you check it out for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly how mine sounds! I love the wide open throttle music!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, put on flowmaster a/t cat back but could not take the drone so added flowmaster resonators. wonder if I take off the mufflers & add straight pipes I will get some of the sound that I loved back!!!!!!! may have to go & try it & have them clamp it in so I can go back easy if needed

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would put money on it! It only cost me $60 to have it done and like you suggested had they use clamps for an easy swap back it necessary but as it turned out is was not necessary. I guarantee you will love it!

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob do you get any fluttering sound at WOT?
No but when you let off and are slowing down you can get a little flutter/popping I guess you can call it but it is not a back firing sound at all. Listen to the video with the interior recording.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts