Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my latest under hood modification, the carbon fiber skinned (not wrapped or water dipped), strut tower covers.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,061 Posts
I'm a Huge fan of carbon fiber and those turned out Great! To me, there is a HUGE difference between the hydrodipping and real 2 x 2 carbon fiber.

I've never seen those pieces skinned before and I like them....Alot! Are you going to have more pieces covered or just the strut covers?

Did you do them yourself? If not, can you Please tell us who did them?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Freddy, yeah I've seen the hydrodiped and wasn't a fan, I'm happy with the way they turned out so I'm doing the pieces right now that are in front of the radiator, the ones with the cup holders :)

Yes, I did them myself and have another set to sell, if there's a market for them I can make more but it does take about three days to complete.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,061 Posts
Thank you Freddy, yeah I've seen the hydrodiped and wasn't a fan, I'm happy with the way they turned out so I'm doing the pieces right now that are in front of the radiator, the ones with the cup holders :)

Yes, I did them myself and have another set to sell, if there's a market for them I can make more but it does take about three days to complete.
You're Welcome!

What's even more Impressive is that you did them yourself! After you finish the radiator support cover, would you Please post some pictures?

I agree with you about the hydrodipped carbon fiber and am not a fan either. Call me a Carbon Fiber Snob, but I like the real stuff the best.

Do you lay it out and then use the resin and then vacuum bag it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope to have more carbon fiber cloth show up today. I did do them last weekend but didn't like how it turned out so I ripped the cloth off and will have to sand them down yet again and try again :oops: I have a plan in my tiny brain, we'll see how well it works out.

I don't vacuum bag, yet! I did buy a vacuum but haven't shelled out the cash for the other things I will need, it gets really expensive with everything you have to buy and for what I've done it's not really needed.

Wish me luck :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,111 Posts
As someone who has painted, then undone and repainted...I feel ya ;)

A Guy

Reactions: AirborneSilva

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks A Guy, I'm getting plenty of coffee in me so I can face the sanding, I hate sanding lol

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,111 Posts
After I first "finished", I vowed to never paint anything again. I lied :D

A Guy

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried my hand at painting twice, didn't do too bad but it is a pain. My oldest son after retiring from the Air Force went to school for auto body and paint so I can now leave that up to him :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,111 Posts
I imagine I could be good with an actual paint gun, but all my painting was with rattle cans...outside even. Means much more sanding and polishing

A Guy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:oops: Yeah an actual paint gun can make a big difference!!! I was lucky and was able to use paint booths on military installations, they for the most part are sadly gone now, I won't go into the politics of it :mad:...

·
Registered
225 Posts

Man that looks great. I'd be interested in your other set and possibly the radiator shields too if they turn out a nice.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts