Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get in the car this evening and head for the shopping center with my wife. I hear a chime, look down and see the low tire light. Hit the EVIC and see that the left front is down to 22lbs. At this point, I figure the shopping center is close and they have a gas station with a pump, so I continue on my way.

I dropped my wife off at Staples and go to the gas station for air. While adding air, I do a quick scan of the visible tread and there it is, a screw.

I fill the tire and head back to Staples. Of course, I know the leak is very slow, but I don't want to take a chance that that screw will come out, so I tell my wife to hurry so we can go home. She says, "Why don't you take it across the street?" I look at her like a deer in headlights, she says, "Across the street? Pep Boys?" Oops, forgot they were there.

I head to Pep Boys while she continued to shop. I go in and it looks like there's just one person in the place and he's on the phone. After about 5 minutes he finally gets off and asks if he can help me. I say, "I guess there's no one here this late to plug a tire?" He says, "Sure!" He looks me up in there system and says, you a Pep Boys Rewards customer so this will be free. WHAT? Did he say free? I don't remember being a Pep Boys Rewards customer.

So twenty minutes later, I'm leaving with a fixed tire at no charge. Oh, and he mentioned that my build date was in February. I'd been meaning to look that up on the door jam.

And it turns out that I wasn't a rewards customer when I walked in. He made me one so I didn't have to pay for the fix. The rewards card was with the paperwork.

I guess I'm shopping at Pep Boys instead of Advance Auto from now on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Amazing how that one good customer service gesture may have made that store a bunch of money in future sales. What a concept Customer Service = $$$$. I need to make a note of that, it might catch on someday.

Kudos to that employee. Even if they didn't know the ramifications of the action sometimes being nice is cool too.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Hey bro, you need a new Rt chrome clad wheel and tire with sensor and NITROGEN. pm me i'll fix you up. your stuff probably is done for good. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
That is strange. I haven't had any good customer relation stuff lately. I even had to go to the owner of the glass place to get my windshield replaced with the right one yesterday. Glad to hear there are still some good places out there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Surprised no one has chimed in why you should have had it broken down and patched as opposed to plugging it,

I never had a plug leak and I don't drive 120 all the time so not worried about catastrophic tire failure due to separation of radial steel belting due to the awl opening hole thru tire plys for prep of plug install, yeah, yeah,
:smoker:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Surprised no one has chimed in why you should have had it broken down and patched as opposed to plugging it,

I never had a plug leak and I don't drive 120 all the time so not worried about catastrophic tire failure due to separation of radial steel belting due to the awl opening hole thru tire plys for prep of plug install, yeah, yeah,
:smoker:
Biggest issue with plugs is throwing off the balance of the tire. Patches, while not significantly lighter, will result in the need to rebalance the tire. Most that plug never rebalance the tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts