Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I average about 22-23 mpg and this is with 95% highway driving regardless of time of year.

so today I...

checked tire pressure (which I do monthly anyway)
cleaned and recharged the K&N drop in
pulled and reset fuse 2
added concentrated fuel system cleaner...said it was good for 12K miles

I run shell 89
get regular high quality oil changes
I don't really get on it much, occasionally, but I am a fairly conservative driver

seems an engine tune up should not be needed at only 18.5K miles

Dunno any other suggestions? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That's what I got on a recent trip from Milw. to Daytona Beach and back. I thought I would do better than that. I had a tune-up, oil change done around 32k miles before the trip. I figured it was because of the cold weather going down at first.

Sorry I didn't see what forum thread this was in mine's an RT

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Ray get a RT. No really that don't sound right but if blu challenger is getting that maybe that's all you'll get. I know my Rt got better than they advertised before I started modding it so I'ld think you should be close to 30. good luck figureing it out.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ray get a RT. No really that don't sound right but if blu challenger is getting that maybe that's all you'll get. I know my Rt got better than they advertised before I started modding it so I'ld think you should be close to 30. good luck figureing it out.
Maybe when the van is paid off in a few months
dunno maybe the kanueter valve is stuck :scratchhead:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I got on a recent trip from Milw. to Daytona Beach and back. I thought I would do better than that. I had a tune-up, oil change done around 32k miles before the trip. I figured it was because of the cold weather going down at first.

Sorry I didn't see what forum thread this was in mine's an RT
Blu that is distressing to hear. :(

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I always blame my right foot (and it's usually the problem) but that's not on the highway. Set the cruise and watch a movie on the interstate.LOL

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Last summer when I went to ChallengerFest I got 25.7 mpg. My nephews drove my Gd. Caravan SXT 3.8 engine minivan down, that got 25.5 mpg. hauling my DRs for me.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
That's crazy why you guys get that kinda mileage. I went on vacation the day after I got my RT and got almost 28 MPG on the interstate.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Try two fill-ups of 87 octane fuel and try to get it form a company that doesn't blend it with ethanol. (Citgo doesn't use ethanol unless required to based on your area's clean air regulations.) I was getting just over 27 mpg with regular before I installed the 71MM throttle body and I am not light on the throttle. (I also use synthetic oil and I have a drop in K&N filter as well.) Some engines just don't respond well to a higher octane than they are rated for without tuning so try 87 octane.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would love to get 22 mpg, last tank, although it was mostly around the suburbs, I got 14 mpg, I couldnt believe it !! I was getting around 25 mpg during the summertime with 80% highway driving. I think its the cheap ass gas, the winter blend these oil companys put out is crap....

You might think I was drag racing everywhere I go to get that kind of mileage and I am not. This is just crusin along mileage, and I only have 9000 miles on my car so I know I dont need a tune-up.....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Not sure why you guys are having such problems. Heck 22mpg in this cold weather is pretty decent with mixed driving, but pretty awful with 95% freeway. For those with knowledge of Milwaukee, I get about 23mpg with the big heavy 20" wheels when I drive from West Allis, to the downtown area via freeway, down Kilborn, drop off the wife, then head back on to the freeway around State St., then head to Franklin via the freeway, get off on Hwy 100, take that to Franklin, just off Loomis Rd.

Rinse and repeat. So, mostly open freeway in the morning, then half the drive is on City roads, with a few stop lights and mostly 40-50mph driving.

Longer freeway driving at a docile 70mph I get 28mpg. Got 28 average on my trip to Texas last year.

I will say this. Temperature has a HUGE effect on these cars, both performance wise, and mileage wise.

I honestly haven't checked the mileage on the car this time of year. I started driving it late last week due to some mechanical issues with the Corolla. There's salt on it now!!!! ARGH! I'll let you know soon enough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The winter blend fuel and ethanol mix lowers fuel mileage (less btu's).

Good ole fashioned gas was better for fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The winter blend fuel and ethanol mix lowers fuel mileage (less btu's).

Good ole fashioned gas was better for fuel mileage.

^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

I've been checking mileage for about 14 years (every single tank). It's always about 3 mpg less in the winter than it is in the summer. If the powers to be take out the ethanol, we'll all do a little better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

I've been checking mileage for about 14 years (every single tank). It's always about 3 mpg less in the winter than it is in the summer. If the powers to be take out the ethanol, we'll all do a little better.
This is about right. General rule of thumb is that gas with 10% ethanol will result in at least 10% lower mileage. Too bad its getting harder and harder to find unblended gas, especially near a large city.

Back to the original post, I just got back from a weekend trip in a R/T where I got 22 mpg on all freeway driving and was pleased. It was cold, crap gas, winter blend, drove 77 mph the entire way, and I had 600 miles on it when I started.

If I recall correctly the 3.5L said 17/25 on the window sticker and the 5.7 still says 16/25. There is essentially no benefit in fuel efficiency with the 3.5L. The 3.5L has been tweaked along the way, but it was first available in 1994 LH sedans (Vision, Concorde, Intrepid) so the technology is nearing 20 years old. It had a good run, but there is better technology available. See the 3.6L. Better mileage and considerably more hp/tq.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
While the chemistry and theory say it should be true, I've tested with my 3.7L V6 Nitro and found that in practice 100% gas vs 10% ethanol blend makes no difference to my MPG.

How much could it depend on the engine's computer?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do you live in the Chicago metro area? I've heard the blend they use in the Chicago Gary area of Illinois and Indiana is known for lower mpg. It's used to try to get the area into compliance with the clean air act.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gotta look a round for non 10% blend. maybe the BP station in town.
and thanks all for the inputs and PM's as well

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks rick. I have seen that site before but no joy on listing anything in my area.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts