Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago I picked up my replacement for my totaled 2014 SRT 392. This 2018 in an improvement in every single way and I could not be more happy that I decided to use my insurance check on this grizzy bear of a car (especially on track transmission). I’m not sure if it’s my imagination but it seems a little bit meaner when in track mode (compared to my 2014) maybe this has to do with the updated transmission or maybe has to do with the better tune I’m not sure but probably both. The color I picked was octane red pearl coat with silver stripes with hyper black wheels and all seasons for better grip as I always used summer tires all year round in my old car and I see now this was a mistake. The high-performance Perelli all seasons they give you made me feel good about the choice...I also like they went with wider tires on all sides I love everything about this car but nothing beats the complete individual customization in SRT mode.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
1) Welcome from Colorado

2) I really love the silver stripes on the octane red color!

3) You are correct Dodge upgraded their automatic transmissions in the Challengers from 5 speed to 8 speed in 2015. Good observation, sir!

4) I agree with you if I live in PA I'd go for all-season tires rather than the summer tires too! That was the first thing I did by swapping the stock tires for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 all-season tires. Big upgrade right there!

5) Congratulations on your new ride

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Sharp color and stripe combination. Good luck with your new SRT.

If you plan to drive during PA winters, I also recommend that you get all season tires. The tread remains pliable when the air is very cold and will maintain traction on snow-covered roads. The summer ultra high performance tires are not made to be driven in freezing weather because the rubber becomes as hard as a hockey puck. There is even some danger of tread separation.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/travel-and-safety/road-safety-tips/using-summer-tires-in-winter

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Nice! Night and day difference from the '14's. I got around 12K mi. on my all seasons, including one track and one strip day. Currently running on 285/35 Conti extreme contact sport plus (for summer use only) and they are much better than the Pirelli summer 285/40 I had on previously. Only got 5K out of those. 285's are a perfect fit on our 9.5" wheels with much more bite/grip.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The other point is that:
>your '18 has more aggressive gearing for the A8 over the A5
>Sport / Track mode on the new car alters the throttle response rate on the newer car

The '14s altered the suspension / transmission modes for Sport, Track but engine throttle response didn't change on the '14 and earlier.

Reactions: Kamil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other point is that:
>your '18 has more aggressive gearing for the A8 over the A5
>Sport / Track mode on the new car alters the throttle response rate on the newer car

The '14s altered the suspension / transmission modes for Sport, Track but engine throttle response didn't change on the '14 and earlier.
That’s pretty interesting and good to know. During my 3rd year of driving my 2014 I would almost always leave it on track just for the more aggressive transmission. But as soon as I left the dealership I couldn’t resist putting it in track mode transmission right away and noticed this car was even more of a beast, which is very evident at low speeds. It’s so aggressive that it’s almost impractical to use all the time haha.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Just saw the same color combo today at lunchtime. Great color and octane red has such a deep shine to it.
Looks like a ruby.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. It’s a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is freaken sweet! I'm in DE, if you're in southern PA, maybe I'll see this around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is freaken sweet! I'm in DE, if you're in southern PA, maybe I'll see this around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely a possibility since I live 10 min from Delaware in the Glen Mills / West Chester area.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
Welcome from California ;) Beautiful car!

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,067 Posts
Very cool car, congrats on the new ride. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts