Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures I just took of the new wheels and tires on my car. The wheels are Ace Alloy AFF06 in Liquid Silver Machined. Tires are Continental Extreme Contact: front 245/45/20 rear 295/40/20. Wheel offset: front +20MM, rear +25MM.

Slight rubbing with this setup with taller tires in the rear... finding a fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Like the wheels a lot
Rubbing outside? Gonna be hard to get away from that with the +25 offset
Maybe try a 35 sidewall tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like the wheels a lot
Rubbing outside? Gonna be hard to get away from that with the +25 offset
Maybe try a 35 sidewall tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The dealer and Ace said that greater than a +25 offset would rub on the inside. I like the taller tire so I'm seeking solutions... my car is lowered on Mopar springs and that is the problem. When I run the car in sport mode it rarely rubs, so the first thing I am going to try is small rubber blocks between the springs so it won't go down so far over bumps. The blocks will also raise the car about 1/4". If that doesn't work or I don't like it I will get a camber kit and put about 1 1/2 negative camber to push the top in a bit. I have no desire to roll the fenders so I'm trying other alternatives first. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The dealer and Ace said that greater than a +25 offset would rub on the inside. I like the taller tire so I'm seeking solutions... my car is lowered on Mopar springs and that is the problem. When I run the car in sport mode it rarely rubs, so the first thing I am going to try is small rubber blocks between the springs so it won't go down so far over bumps. The blocks will also raise the car about 1/4". If that doesn't work or I don't like it I will get a camber kit and put about 1 1/2 negative camber to push the top in a bit. I have no desire to roll the fenders so I'm trying other alternatives first. Thanks for your response!
I had a slight rubbing issue with my 315/35 20s on 20x11 wheels with +24 offset...I’m lowered about 2” in the rear which created an excessive negative camber issue, I ordered some rear upper adjustable control arms but in the interim I installed 3mm spacers resulting in a +21mm offset, this cured the rubbing issue. I have since installed the rear adjustable upper control arms and had the car aligned, the result was I was able to remove the spacers and now have no rubbing issues.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a slight rubbing issue with my 315/35 20s on 20x11 wheels with +24 offset...I’m lowered about 2” in the rear which created an excessive negative camber issue, I ordered some rear upper adjustable control arms but in the interim I installed 3mm spacers resulting in a +21mm offset, this cured the rubbing issue. I have since installed the rear adjustable upper control arms and had the car aligned, the result was I was able to remove the spacers and now have no rubbing issues.
Sounds like you had the opposite issue I am having. I'm rubbing on the fender, and it sounds like you had to be rubbing on the inside if a spacer helped and negative camber was the issue. I'm glad you were able to solve the problem as it sucks when everything is supposed to fit without rubbing and yet it doesn't. I think if I had a little more negative camber it might not rub...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like you had the opposite issue I am having. I'm rubbing on the fender, and it sounds like you had to be rubbing on the inside if a spacer helped and negative camber was the issue. I'm glad you were able to solve the problem as it sucks when everything is supposed to fit without rubbing and yet it doesn't. I think if I had a little more negative camber it might not rub...
Yes, I was told by a very reputable source the it was possible to run 315/35 20s on 20x11 wheels with a 25mm offset, I think my issue was due to the fact that I put the new tires/wheels on before I had the rear upper control arms so I had excessive negative camber. Anyway, hope you can get yours sorted ASAP. It’s a bummer to have nice new components and not be able to enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I was told by a very reputable source the it was possible to run 315/35 20s on 20x11 wheels with a 25mm offset, I think my issue was due to the fact that I put the new tires/wheels on before I had the rear upper control arms so I had excessive negative camber. Anyway, hope you can get yours sorted ASAP. It’s a bummer to have nice new components and not be able to enjoy them.
I was told by the Ace dealer that this would all fit, too... they blame it on the taller tires, but at the same time I told them the size of the tires I was putting on. They also said that +25 was as big as I could go or they would have rubbed on the inside. I looked under the car and it looks like I have a lot more room for the wheel to sit further back as my wheels are 20x10.5. He said to pound the top of the fender lip in a little using a rubber mallet and a heat gun. No... or at least not until I exhaust all my alternatives either using rubber blocks or some negative camber.

Here's what makes me question his thinking... he suggested negative camber witch puts the tire further back at the top so would that not suggest that a larger offset like +30 would still fit? Maybe it would rub at the bottom then? Until I get it solved I'll be driving in sport mode as it does not rub unless I hit something big in sport mode.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was told by the Ace dealer that this would all fit, too... they blame it on the taller tires, but at the same time I told them the size of the tires I was putting on. They also said that +25 was as big as I could go or they would have rubbed on the inside. I looked under the car and it looks like I have a lot more room for the wheel to sit further back as my wheels are 20x10.5. He said to pound the top of the fender lip in a little using a rubber mallet and a heat gun. No... or at least not until I exhaust all my alternatives either using rubber blocks or some negative camber.

Here's what makes me question his thinking... he suggested negative camber witch puts the tire further back at the top so would that not suggest that a larger offset like +30 would still fit? Maybe it would rub at the bottom then? Until I get it solved I'll be driving in sport mode as it does not rub unless I hit something big in sport mode.
I think my tires are about an inch shorter than your but the are a little wider...I had the rubbing issue on the inner wheelhouse liner. I have seen a couple of posts that recommend “rolling” the wheel lip for more clearance. Are you rubbing the body or plastic wheelhouse liner, if the latter negative camber certainly won’t cure that. I wouldn’t want too much negative camber, might start chewing up your new tires prematurely.

Good luck solving the issue...

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
those 295/40 are taller than my 315/35, I just looked on the tire calculator. I am not lowered and I do not rub. 20X20.5 +25mm

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think my tires are about an inch shorter than your but the are a little wider...I had the rubbing issue on the inner wheelhouse liner. I have seen a couple of posts that recommend “rolling” the wheel lip for more clearance. Are you rubbing the body or plastic wheelhouse liner, if the latter negative camber certainly won’t cure that. I wouldn’t want too much negative camber, might start chewing up your new tires prematurely.

Good luck solving the issue...
those 295/40 are taller than my 315/35, I just looked on the tire calculator. I am not lowered and I do not rub. 20X20.5 +25mm
Yes, these are tall tires, but not crazy tall. I'm just over a 1/2" taller (.6 of an inch to be exact), than yours, plus apparently Continental tires run a little larger than most so that may be making the problem worse. I am rubbing on the metal fender lip about 1/2 way back on the lip. A little negative camber would help in this case. It doesn't hit the liner anywhere. As far as the tires... I don't think it will matter because I only put 9,000 miles on the original tires I just took off and I've had the car for almost 6 years. So they will get old and hard before they would wear out. However, I am going to try out the rubber blocks in my coilovers first. Thanks for the comments and concerns! I'll post my fix once I get it resolved.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Mopar lowering springs are wound too tight to get the 1" rubber boosters installed between the coils. I cannot find 1/2" rubber boosters so I suppose I will put my OEM SRT springs back on the rear and gain an inch in height that way unless anyone has a better and easier idea...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts