Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in the drivetrain section, but it seems like people talk about these shifters here in the bolt-on section so I'm moving my questions here :)

Man - this thing looks and shifts excellent! The throws are so much shorter.

It is a lot louder, like the synchros are talking to you. Windows down tunes on you don't notice it though. I've read that some people have switched to the Ford TR6060 fluid as it's different than the Mopar goo and specifically made to reduce noise. Anyone tried it? It's almost too loud to live with, but it looks and performs so well it would be hard to ever give up at the same time. My wife will give me a hard time when she hears it for the first time so I am bracing for that LOL

Another question, do I need to think about doing the "Larry's mod"? I bought this particular kit here:

Dodge Challenger 6 Speed Short Throw Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter Mopar Factory | eBay

and it seems quite stout throughout. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Boy those Hurst shifters, I tell ya. :SM130: Larry's mod makes the shifter more rigid (in a good way), but from what I've read it makes noise and vibrations even MORE pronounced. I still don't get people spending $600+ for a noisey, rattling piece of Chinese doo doo. When Hurst was American it's quality was excellent now all they have is a name, no quality. Sadly this trend is common with a lot of once great American businesses.

On mine, dynamatting the hell out of it, and replacing the washers with rubber ones did NOTHING to stop the noise. Some change the Hurst bushing with the stock one and the noise is gone. This will cause premature wear, however, and that bushing will be destroyed in no time.

Not sure what exhaust you have, but getting a louder exhaust should drone out the noise the Hurst makes.

Changing the fluid wouldn't hurt any. But if you think of it, the Hurst shifter is like one big tuning fork. Hence the reason it has amplified noise. As I said, even dynamatting the forks did nothing for me.

Personally, I am holding out for Barton Industries and then our car will get a quality, American-made product, that it deserves.

Best of luck with your Hurst though. The noise is a trade off for a notchier shifter. You may get used to it after awhile. For me, however, I couldn't stand it!!! I have had other cars with short throw shifter and they have made no extra noise, and have shifted better.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Who else makes a shifter for the Challenger?
Barton Industries is releasing their version of the aftermarket shifter within the next couple months. Rumor has it that they will collaborate with Speedlogix to help market and sell the shifter.

Anyone who has experience with Barton shifters, knows that they are one of the best you can buy.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Mine works great! No problems with mine so far.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Barton Industries is releasing their version of the aftermarket shifter within the next couple months. Rumor has it that they will collaborate with Speedlogix to help market and sell the shifter.

Anyone who has experience with Barton shifters, knows that they are one of the best you can buy.
I personally spoke with Dave at barton several times. Comming out in the early 2014.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I personally spoke with Dave at barton several times. Comming out in the early 2014.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This is excellent news! Thanks for the update. I cannot wait to get this baby installed and shifting like how it should.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I have the same shifter and have whipped the snot out of it since spring and it is still firm and precise. I love this thing. The little noise I get is overpowered by the exhaust drone so no biggie for me

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Its interesting, I have NO gear whine at all on mine, I do hear a louder roar on acceleration, but no whine...
I wouldn't say I hear gear whine, but you do hear the synchros meshing, and of course you do hear more roar coming up from below too when you really get on it.

Having this for a week now basically, the noise is easy to get used to, it's just going from silent stock to this Hurst was quite a difference initially.

A friend of mine who is a long-time Mopar drag racer is going to help me work on reducing the noise, and we may change the fluid out too soon just to see if there is anything to the Ford fluid.

Thanks for all the replies :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts