Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket well i get ahold of steve at solo and he puts me in touch with the owner jeff, who tells me they have been working on a no drone exhaust for the srt and we agreed i would come to there shop in buffalo ny. i get there on friday morning and they lay out the system on the floor. i never seen a system like this. these "j" pipes what are they?in all the photo of cat backs none looked like this. and every single one has some type of drone. now mind you i have the blastin bob reso delete fat pipes so i know what drone is. it took about an hour too put on .and off we go for the test drive. let me be the first to say this a NO DRONE EXUAST. absolutely none at any speed at any rpm at any temperature. none. he explained that there 4 hormonic notes that the 6.1 puts out and that is what the j pipes do is ex orb and cancel out the harmonics without canceling out the sound quality of the exhaust its self. sounds complicated to me but then again i'm not an engineer.
i have too give comps too jeff's personnel at the shop. all of them from bob too jason they have too be some of the nicest guys you can deal with. very professional.
so then i had a 500 mile drive back home. the whole way i listened for drone. at every little mph change and rpm change i listened there was none the sound quality is unmatched in my book from any cat back i've heard, and i've heard just about all of them and have to admit none really did anything for me. either they weren't loud enough or they just did'nt have the sound that matched the car or they had drone. this cat back is awesome the muffler is 304 ss
and the tips are 304 ss to and the rest is 409 ss.
guys all i can say is if anyone wants a cat back that has no drone. this is it.jeff has designed cat backs for the g-8's and if anyone wants to do more research on there technology you should go check there forums. they know all about solo performance.i have posted some pics and vids on photo bucket and i hope everyone can veiw you can also go to there web site solo-performance i here there gonna have a group buy on this so please take advantage of it you wont be disappointedhttp://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Renfrick1/?action=view&current=d4e4a941.[/URL[URL=http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Renfrick1/?action=view&current=d4e4a941.mp4]
[/IMG

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket well i get ahold of steve at solo and he puts me in touch with the owner jeff, who tells me they have been working on a no drone exhaust for the srt and we agreed i would come to there shop in buffalo ny. i get there on friday morning and they lay out the system on the floor. i never seen a system like this. these "j" pipes what are they?in all the photo of cat backs none looked like this. and every single one has some type of drone. now mind you i have the blastin bob reso delete fat pipes so i know what drone is. it took about an hour too put on .and off we go for the test drive. let me be the first to say this a NO DRONE EXUAST. absolutely none at any speed at any rpm at any temperature. none. he explained that there 4 hormonic notes that the 6.1 puts out and that is what the j pipes do is ex orb and cancel out the harmonics without canceling out the sound quality of the exhaust its self. sounds complicated to me but then again i'm not an engineer.
i have too give comps too jeff's personnel at the shop. all of them from bob too jason they have too be some of the nicest guys you can deal with. very professional.
so then i had a 500 mile drive back home. the whole way i listened for drone. at every little mph change and rpm change i listened there was none the sound quality is unmatched in my book from any cat back i've heard, and i've heard just about all of them and have to admit none really did anything for me. either they weren't loud enough or they just did'nt have the sound that matched the car or they had drone. this cat back is awesome the muffler is 304 ss
and the tips are 304 ss to and the rest is 409 ss.
guys all i can say is if anyone wants a cat back that has no drone. this is it.jeff has designed cat backs for the g-8's and if anyone wants to do more research on there technology you should go check there forums. they know all about solo performance.i have posted some pics and vids on photo bucket and i hope everyone can veiw you can also go to there web site solo-performance i here there gonna have a group buy on this so please take advantage of it you wont be disappointedhttp://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Renfrick1/?action=view&current=d4e4a941.[/URL[URL=http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Renfrick1/?action=view&current=d4e4a941.mp4]
[/IMGhttp://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Renfrick1/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are those J-pipes capped off or do they dump exhaust inside the fender well? If so I can deal with drone.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No those j pipes are capped off. That is what is adjustable. There is no exhaust going in there in fact it is stone cold to the touch.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Not too bad, but I was hoping for a deeper, throatier sound when revving it up.

Interesting design...

Mike

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has an awesome sound. iPhone does not do it justice. At wot it will blow your ears off. Then when engine is rpm'ing down it has this rumble that's killer. I'm telling you this this is the best. And no drone

·
Registered
474 Posts
So, what does the butt dyno say about any HP or torque gains? Also, can you see the J pipes from behind the car?

Look like the same concept as MBRP's system - Solo has a J pipe and MBRP has a tuning tube.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's
Rated at 19hp and 21 trq thru the whole rpm range not at only 5000rpm like others claim. And the butt dyne says more. Mbrp seems to have copied there technology Solo has been doing this design for quite some time. There big in the g8 market.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and review. It was a pleasure working with you. We will be bringing the group buy thread to the Challenger community this week, and we have a nice long video with very clear sound...the note is very deep and smooth, and is no drone. You will be amazed at the difference from inside and outside of the car. We worked very hard on this, and our experience on the G8 really helped us develop a no drone kit without sacrificing anything in the sound and tone department. We have been using J pipe technology for a while, and we make all of our own J pipes. They are adjustable and capped off at the end. The HP and TQ gains are through the entire powerband. We would not put a product on the road that we don't feel is 100% worth our name...and this one is definitely worth the Solo Performance name. Thanks again and keep your eyes peeled in the Solo Performance vendor section for the group buy thread. You will also really like the pricing:)

Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002
[email protected]

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looking forward to the vid!

Wanting some exhasut ASAP!!!

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
i have seen those used on other cars with drone-reducing success. I believe they called it a "tuned, Helmholtz-style exhaust", much like what is used in factory intakes to reduce the intake noise. glad to see somebody finally came out with a nice looking and nice sounding system like this for the challenger. sounds great!

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah this thing is amazing. I love the tips. And the sound from inside the cabin is incredible. You can talk on the phone and to the passenger with ease. And the sound outside is rip roaring. And no you cant see the the j pipes at all.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Great Job, redfrick1. I heard from Bob that you've be in town to prototype this, and I'm very glad that you had such great results!

By the way for those who don't know me, I'm a member over on g8board.com which is also owned by autoforums. I was the one who worked with SOLO and pioneered the g8 J-pipes, and the results were amazing. The G8's L76 6.0L engine is very difficult as far as harmonics are concerned, which is partially why the stock exhaust on a G8 is so damn quiet!

But if anyone has any questions about function or otherwise, I'd like to lend a hand and answer any questions that anyone has. The results on my 2009 G8 GT were nothing short of spectacular back when I worked with the crew at SOLO to develop this technology.

Online videos do not do exhaust systems justice, so if at all possible, it's ideal to try and arrange to listen to aftermarket exhaust 'in person'.

The J-pipe Helmholtz chambers are amazing at targeting and canceling drone.

I'm SO HAPPY that SOLO has gone above and beyond to develop this technology for the SRT Hemis!

Any questions, feel free to ask, as I enjoy helping people. Great site, also.

--zepcom

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Awesome, Solo is gooooooood stuff. But PLEASE no round tips!!! I won't buy one with round tips, and I bet a lot of people won't. Rectangular is kinda a Challenger thing....

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and review. It was a pleasure working with you. We will be bringing the group buy thread to the Challenger community this week, and we have a nice long video with very clear sound...the note is very deep and smooth, and is no drone. You will be amazed at the difference from inside and outside of the car. We worked very hard on this, and our experience on the G8 really helped us develop a no drone kit without sacrificing anything in the sound and tone department. We have been using J pipe technology for a while, and we make all of our own J pipes. They are adjustable and capped off at the end. The HP and TQ gains are through the entire powerband. We would not put a product on the road that we don't feel is 100% worth our name...and this one is definitely worth the Solo Performance name. Thanks again and keep your eyes peeled in the Solo Performance vendor section for the group buy thread. You will also really like the pricing:)

Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002
[email protected]
Looking forward to seeing it Steve. Great to have you here as a vendor too. But have to echo what others have said, please come up with some rectangular tips.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally I like the round tips. There staggered and match the contour of the bumper. I'm sure if you really wanted different tips they could do something.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Great Job, redfrick1. I heard from Bob that you've be in town to prototype this, and I'm very glad that you had such great results!

By the way for those who don't know me, I'm a member over on g8board.com which is also owned by autoforums. I was the one who worked with SOLO and pioneered the g8 J-pipes, and the results were amazing. The G8's L76 6.0L engine is very difficult as far as harmonics are concerned, which is partially why the stock exhaust on a G8 is so damn quiet!

But if anyone has any questions about function or otherwise, I'd like to lend a hand and answer any questions that anyone has. The results on my 2009 G8 GT were nothing short of spectacular back when I worked with the crew at SOLO to develop this technology.

Online videos do not do exhaust systems justice, so if at all possible, it's ideal to try and arrange to listen to aftermarket exhaust 'in person'.

The J-pipe Helmholtz chambers are amazing at targeting and canceling drone.

I'm SO HAPPY that SOLO has gone above and beyond to develop this technology for the SRT Hemis!

Any questions, feel free to ask, as I enjoy helping people. Great site, also.

--zepcom
Nice to see ya here Zep. Welcome to CT. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts