Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fello Mopar Mavens.

Although I have been a Mopar guy all my life (late 60 to early 70 cars) I just bought my first modern Mopar.
This 2010 SRT8 has a verified 8,270 miles on her.
Bought it at a Toyota dealer.
Obvously Toyota folks know nothing about Mopars. Lifting the hood I found a Magnison (sp) blower. The exhaust is huge and aftermarket.
It really runs good, crazy good. Black on black. Pics to follow soon.

Being new to modern Mopars what should I be watching out for with this beast? I wont beat on it right now because I really don't know what I have.
It idles nice and mellow and drives like the stock 2016 Scat Pack I tested last week if you drive normally.

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

PS: Ya, oil question: Owners manual says 5w-40 but looking on this website 0w-40 seems to be what everyone is using. I need to change the oil before I drive it anymore so what should I get, 0-40 or 5-40.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,090 Posts
Hello fello Mopar Mavens.

Although I have been a Mopar guy all my life (late 60 to early 70 cars) I just bought my first modern Mopar.
This 2010 SRT8 has a verified 8,270 miles on her.
Bought it at a Toyota dealer.
Obvously Toyota folks know nothing about Mopars. Lifting the hood I found a Magnison (sp) blower. The exhaust is huge and aftermarket.
It really runs good, crazy good. Black on black. Pics to follow soon.

Being new to modern Mopars what should I be watching out for with this beast? I wont beat on it right now because I really don't know what I have.
It idles nice and mellow and drives like the stock 2016 Scat Pack I tested last week if you drive normally.

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

PS: Ya, oil question: Owners manual says 5w-40 but looking on this website 0w-40 seems to be what everyone is using. I need to change the oil before I drive it anymore so what should I get, 0-40 or 5-40.

Thanks again
Welcome aboard!

That's one heck of a nice Mopar to have as your re-introduction back into the fold. Congrats!

As far as the oil is concerned, any 5W-40 will work just fine obviously, but so will any 0W-40 if you wanted to go that route. Basically the only difference will be the oil's visciosity when cold, relatively speaking (think start-up). But unless you live somewhere that sees extremely cold temps during the winter, your car would likely never know the difference between the 2 oils. They'll both be plenty thin at startup to start circulating immediately, and that's really all that counts.

Now if you lived somewhere like, say, Alaska or the northern parts of Canada, then yes, you would probably want to go with the extra protection the 0W oil provided.y

Beyond that, you can choose whichever one you like the best based on their brands' respective performance metrics. Realistically though, when you're running a good name brand synthetic oil, it's pretty hard to go wrong no matter which one you choose (as far as brands go).

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,090 Posts
Another dumb question,

Can the tranny (6-speed) and the rear end handle this?

Thanks again for your time.
Both should be up to the task no problem. I seem to remember hearing some stories about broken half-shafts once the HP/TQ numbers started getting up there, but that's not until 800-1000 HP IIRC. You still have plenty of room to grow I believe, but you'll want to do some more searching probably to verify that assertion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts