Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this just happened! Just wanted to share my adventure and excitement. Everything fell into place. After decades of patience and hard work, and as a treat for Veterans day, I was blessed with being in a position to get my dream car. A 2012 in mint condition with only 6300 miles, 392 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8. Manual 6 speed. 470 horse power and 470 foot pounds torque! Major smiles and fun. Big adventure yesterday.

After doing a nationwide search I found the best car for my wants and needs. Low mileage Challenger SRT8 in mint condition. I negotiated an amazing price.

[As of early November 2019, for those in the hunt, let me tell you of two excellent cars/prices I left behind. A red 2011 with low miles in Virginia at Hi-End Auto for $27k, and a red w/black 2009 automatic very very low miles for $27k in Nebraska at Dillons Auto - ask for Jeremy.]

I rented an Enterprise compact for a 4 hour drive. Got a veterans upgrade 3 steps to a 2019 Cadillac. Enterprise hooked me up. Kudos to that company and I will deal with them again! Drove 4 hours to southern Nevada, thru wide beautiful open roads as far as you can see, and mountain scenery, bought my Challenger, and drove back.

It's been a dream to own something like this since I was a kid, and I've always lusted after this type of car, and for years wanted a Challenger, and now I'm THRILLED. Fun adventure, great drive, and THRILLED with the car. The drive back was incredible. Oh, and some lucky big Nevada coyote nearly missed being road hamburger by inches, that little suicidal beast. Whew. I can say the car handles amazingly at high speeds!!!!

I drove it home about 4 hours and here's some preliminary feedback.

First, it's amazing in every sense. I love it. Drove great, incredible power, easy to shift the manual, tight suspension. Comfortable enough for an already very tired guy to drive 4 hours (I hadn't slept well, eaten, or even had coffee all day - but that's another story). A pure thrilling joy to drive. I was on the fence with auto vs. manual 6. It was the biggest decision where there was a choice. I'm very very happy I went m6. (In the years I was looking at, I think the auto gets lackluster feedback with folks often saying it needs more gears or better ratios - hence the A8. So that helped weigh the scales. It might have been different if my option was the auto 8. Three years ago when I was on the hunt initially, I drove both and do recall the M6 being more exhilarating). For those on the fence go with the manual. The driving experience is incredible.

Secondly, this has the Harmon Kardon system. I had read up on it and was horrified about all the complaints. I was worried I had made a bad choice. Rest assured, the HK is awesome. Those complaining must have gotten lemons and should get their system recalled. I am an audiophile. My HK system is incredible. I listened to loud rock, heavy metal, and some rap for nearly 2-3 hours. The system is louder than I can enjoy, and I had to dial it back to about 50-75% for most of the drive for an enjoyable sound level. Crisp symbols, vocals, incredible base, guitar was crisp, etc. The HK system is fantastic and I can't imagine a better "useful" level of sound in this car.

Third, I really appreciated the simple controls. I had driven a Cadillac 4 hours immediately prior. The controls were extremely complicated to the point of being alien and a distraction trying to turn down the heat, turn up the volume, change stations, etc. At one point I inadvertently changed MPH to KPH and though I was grossly speeding. I could not locate a few controls or had to hunt to find others. Took me 3 minutes to figure out how to open the gas cap. Conversely, I really appreciated the Challenger with intuitive with simple knobs and dials. Nothing tricky or complex to locate or adjust.

In a nutshell, I absolutely love this car!

DSC04102.JPG

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I will also add I'm impressed with the fuel economy so far. I got the car with an apparent full tank. I drove it the speed limit (70mph) and filled up after about 255 miles, which was 10.5 gallons of premium. Works out to 24mpg... for this engine that is much better than I anticipated.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,352 Posts
That’s a nice Veterans Day gift to yourself. Thanks for your service and enjoy it safely.

ps - don’t lean on the body panels too hard. The metal is very soft and believe it or not, it dents very easily.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,572 Posts
Congratulations! I was going to welcome you and see you joined in 2016 as well, lol. Long wait, glad you finally got it ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
404 Posts
That's great. I know what you mean about a manual. I had a Trans Am GTA with a manual and it was super fun to drive. I can only imagine the fun your having with yours with the power you have. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Two years ago I found my 2013 Challenger SRT8 in showroom condition with 7500 miles. I had been browsing the internet for 9 months and bought the first day it was posted. It was a trade in at a Tulsa dealer. Cost 33K and worth every penny. I wanted to keep the mileage down but it's too much fun to drive. I've changed wheels and tires and added a Diablo T2 tuner with a Jay Green tune which woke it up a bunch. Got 26K miles now. I don't drive in snow, rain, or wet road conditions and wash it too much probably. I love my car!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Two years ago I found my 2013 Challenger SRT8 in showroom condition with 7500 miles. I had been browsing the internet for 9 months and bought the first day it was posted. It was a trade in at a Tulsa dealer. Cost 33K and worth every penny. I wanted to keep the mileage down but it's too much fun to drive. I've changed wheels and tires and added a Diablo T2 tuner with a Jay Green tune which woke it up a bunch. Got 26K miles now. I don't drive in snow, rain, or wet road conditions and wash it too much probably. I love my car!

View attachment 981013
I LOVE that color. It was a top choice for me. The 2011 SRT8 in Virginia I nearly bought was that color. It was a very hard choice for me, but I chose mine for a few smart reasons (1 year newer, less miles, and closer and easier to get). What are those little fins on the side? Cosmetic or functional?

And yes, they are incredibly fun to drive! Thrilling really!

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I was 19 I bought a 71 Challenger RT. I always liked the 71 better than any other year.The 71 had these non-functional quarter panel scoops that year. When I saw that similar scoops were made for the current body I got a pair from CARID. They painted it too and the match is perfect. I think it adds a little personality that very few others have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great story and congrats! I found my 2009 SRT-8 with 9k miles 3 years ago and drove it from the dealership in Texas to Nevada (no close encounters with any wildlife on the road, though). Nothing like 1000 or more miles of a road trip to acclimate with one's new ride!

Will you be putting some drag radials on it and taking it to the drag strip?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never actually posted before, but had to chime in. Congrats on the new car! A month and half ago I took possession of a 2010 SRT8 with a manual trans, and 14K miles. I know just how you feel! Back in the 70s/80s I owned a string of Mopar muscle but this thing is like, WOW! I've already autocrossed it and put 3K miles on it. It's a freeway flyer, but tight twisties aren't it's thing... yet. Plans for next year already include a full suspension upgrade and mild motor mods. And I gotta tell ya, the Mopar crowd is a LOT more active and supportive nowadays! Congratulations again!
19-09-18 New Hotness 5 (1).jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
So this just happened! Just wanted to share my adventure and excitement. Everything fell into place. After decades of patience and hard work, and as a treat for Veterans day, I was blessed with being in a position to get my dream car. A 2012 in mint condition with only 6300 miles, 392 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8. Manual 6 speed. 470 horse power and 470 foot pounds torque! Major smiles and fun. Big adventure yesterday.

After doing a nationwide search I found the best car for my wants and needs. Low mileage Challenger SRT8 in mint condition. I negotiated an amazing price.

[As of early November 2019, for those in the hunt, let me tell you of two excellent cars/prices I left behind. A red 2011 with low miles in Virginia at Hi-End Auto for $27k, and a red w/black 2009 automatic very very low miles for $27k in Nebraska at Dillons Auto - ask for Jeremy.]

I rented an Enterprise compact for a 4 hour drive. Got a veterans upgrade 3 steps to a 2019 Cadillac. Enterprise hooked me up. Kudos to that company and I will deal with them again! Drove 4 hours to southern Nevada, thru wide beautiful open roads as far as you can see, and mountain scenery, bought my Challenger, and drove back.

It's been a dream to own something like this since I was a kid, and I've always lusted after this type of car, and for years wanted a Challenger, and now I'm THRILLED. Fun adventure, great drive, and THRILLED with the car. The drive back was incredible. Oh, and some lucky big Nevada coyote nearly missed being road hamburger by inches, that little suicidal beast. Whew. I can say the car handles amazingly at high speeds!!!!

I drove it home about 4 hours and here's some preliminary feedback.

First, it's amazing in every sense. I love it. Drove great, incredible power, easy to shift the manual, tight suspension. Comfortable enough for an already very tired guy to drive 4 hours (I hadn't slept well, eaten, or even had coffee all day - but that's another story). A pure thrilling joy to drive. I was on the fence with auto vs. manual 6. It was the biggest decision where there was a choice. I'm very very happy I went m6. (In the years I was looking at, I think the auto gets lackluster feedback with folks often saying it needs more gears or better ratios - hence the A8. So that helped weigh the scales. It might have been different if my option was the auto 8. Three years ago when I was on the hunt initially, I drove both and do recall the M6 being more exhilarating). For those on the fence go with the manual. The driving experience is incredible.

Secondly, this has the Harmon Kardon system. I had read up on it and was horrified about all the complaints. I was worried I had made a bad choice. Rest assured, the HK is awesome. Those complaining must have gotten lemons and should get their system recalled. I am an audiophile. My HK system is incredible. I listened to loud rock, heavy metal, and some rap for nearly 2-3 hours. The system is louder than I can enjoy, and I had to dial it back to about 50-75% for most of the drive for an enjoyable sound level. Crisp symbols, vocals, incredible base, guitar was crisp, etc. The HK system is fantastic and I can't imagine a better "useful" level of sound in this car.

Third, I really appreciated the simple controls. I had driven a Cadillac 4 hours immediately prior. The controls were extremely complicated to the point of being alien and a distraction trying to turn down the heat, turn up the volume, change stations, etc. At one point I inadvertently changed MPH to KPH and though I was grossly speeding. I could not locate a few controls or had to hunt to find others. Took me 3 minutes to figure out how to open the gas cap. Conversely, I really appreciated the Challenger with intuitive with simple knobs and dials. Nothing tricky or complex to locate or adjust.

In a nutshell, I absolutely love this car!

View attachment 980958
I had several challenger and i believe the 2012 is the best built of all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never actually posted before, but had to chime in. Congrats on the new car! A month and half ago I took possession of a 2010 SRT8 with a manual trans, and 14K miles. I know just how you feel! Back in the 70s/80s I owned a string of Mopar muscle but this thing is like, WOW! I've already autocrossed it and put 3K miles on it. It's a freeway flyer, but tight twisties aren't it's thing... yet. Plans for next year already include a full suspension upgrade and mild motor mods. And I gotta tell ya, the Mopar crowd is a LOT more active and supportive nowadays! Congratulations again! View attachment 981301
Thanks, and you have a fabulous ride too! I nearly bought a identical one a few years back!

·
Super Moderator
14,511 Posts
and you got Blue Streak pearl - a 2012 only color as well, along with the Inaugural Edition style wheels

1 - 20 of 21 Posts