1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
delete

·
Registered
437 Posts
Are you doing any other major upgrades like ported Apache heads, cam, a forged bottom end, nitrous or FI? The SRT shorty headers are good for up to 8 - 900hp. If you're just doing headers then you're spending 2k for maybe 20 - 30 horses tops. Personally I'd put that money into the engine itself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Are you doing any other major upgrades like ported Apache heads, cam, a forged bottom end, nitrous or FI? The SRT shorty headers are good for up to 8 - 900hp. If you're just doing headers then you're spending 2k for maybe 20 - 30 horses tops. Personally I'd put that money into the engine itself.
He's right. Headers will mostly be sound until you need all that flow. You'll get more HP from them as your bottle neck for flow changs throughout the engine setup, however, they sound freaking remarkable. I recommend American Racing. I have them, and comboed with a decent cat back, the old school sound is there. I think, more often than not, people tend to go with Kooks.

I got the following header quotes from a performance shop:

American Racing Headers - $1470.00
Stainless Works - $1390.00
Kooks - $1667.00

1,931 Posts
I have a 426 Arrington 6.4 based stroker with ported Apache heads and Comp 274 cam with .619" of lift....I had the engine's air flow tested and it was excellent with the OEM shorty headers....another member here (Legmaker, owns LMI intakes) still has the OEM shorty headers on his supercharged 6.1 based 426 that turns low 10s in the quarter....Long tubes would be one of the last mods I would do...

·
Registered
437 Posts
^^^^+2 WHAT HE SAID!! I'm in the process of building my 6.1, and both guys who are building my motor (forged internals,honed,decked and balanced, Apache big valve heads, custom cam, ported intake, Stage 2 F1-A procharger) have advised me that the shortys are good for up to 900hp. Putting my 2K elsewhere.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts