Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just had a tune with my new pcm after the tune i ran the car and noticed that the oil pressure is low at the idle it was showing 1.6 bar at temp 98 celsius

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,381 Posts
OK, I'll bite, what was it before the tune? Oil pressure is related to temp, rpm, and the oil itself.

·
Super Moderator
15,041 Posts
I'd wonder if the idle speed was reduced. PSI at idle typically runs 28-30 psi.

It can drop when oil gets hot, but your temperature is about average what you're running

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
before the tune in my stock pcm the oil pressure was 2.3 bar at 95-99 celsius. I just returned my stock pcm and everything went back to normal although the idle in the tuned pcm was high around 1000 rpm so iam really confused idont know were is the problem exactly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you meen by what i am running? If you meen the oil i am using its mobil one 0w40 fully synthetic with lucas oil stabilizer

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,381 Posts
before the tune in my stock pcm the oil pressure was 2.3 bar at 95-99 celsius. I just returned my stock pcm and everything went back to normal although the idle in the tuned pcm was high around 1000 rpm so iam really confused idont know were is the problem exactly
That is just weird, I can't even make up a reason for that. With the tune, it idles higher with less oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You need to confirm the oil pressure using something other than the engine oil pressure sensor and oil pressure gauge.

All other things being equal my Hellcat's oil pressure goes up around 4psi when I shift from D to N or P and the idle speed goes up. Unless an engine is equipped with a variable displacement oil pump -- which I believe Dodge does not use in any of its cars -- this is what I would expect.

The other factor is oil temperature. When I want to "check" oil pressure at hot idle I do so with the oil at 212F. So at an oil temperature of 212F at idle in D oil pressure is around 38psi. In N or P and with the engine idling a bit faster -- and with the tach it is hard to note just how much faster but the needle is still a good distance under the 1K RPM hash mark -- the oil pressure goes to 43 to 44psi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts