Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of stroking my Shaker (Nuke, this is what you asked about.), turning it into a 392 with a custom VVT Compcam and upping the boost to 14lbs. Well, once it was all together and the new tune in it, it idled just fine to get a datalog created, and to date, the engine has never run except at idle. I got the second tune in it, and while idling to create another datalog, the dowel pin sheared, and the timing gear was gouged. Now the engine is back out of it, and tomorrow the tear-down will start to find out what else happened.

The engine has been balanced and blue printed, the heads are polished and ported and it now has Manley everything in it, besides everything else that has been done to make it right. I'm not a happy camper right now...

·
Super Moderator
15,745 Posts
one of the critical things I've read up on is to make sure the bore for the cam bolt is absolutely clean - and no residual oil in there (incorrect bolt torque) as fluids won't compress and could lead to incorrect bolt torque.

the other item is using a new cam sprocket bolt. The locating dowel is just for assembly purposes - that cam bolt is torqued to 85 ft.lb.

it the bolt loosens up, it will shear the dowel pin and that can result in engine out of time...and pretty bad consequences.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,620 Posts
Wow that sucks, hopefully there isn't any major internal damage and you get it back up and running quick. I've pulled a few motors in my time and helped my brother super charge his Mustang so I've got an idea of the amount of work that goes into it, but it's one thing when your fueled by the excitement of getting your build done and quite another when doing it when something like this happens. Hoping for the best for you, good luck and please keep us posted.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one of the critical things I've read up on is to make sure the bore for the cam bolt is absolutely clean - and no residual oil in there (incorrect bolt torque) as fluids won't compress and could lead to incorrect bolt torque.

the other item is using a new cam sprocket bolt. The locating dowel is just for assembly purposes - that cam bolt is torqued to 85 ft.lb.

it the bolt loosens up, it will shear the dowel pin and that can result in engine out of time...and pretty bad consequences.
All of the parts used for the build are new; bolts, bearings, etc. The torque was correct.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sure is a gut punch. Best of luck man. BTW what oil pump are you running?
It is a new Mopar oil pump (pt# 53021622BH) that was recommended to me for the build.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,307 Posts
In your opinion....Is this most likely a parts failure or a workmanship issue?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In your opinion....Is this most likely a parts failure or a workmanship issue?
Parts failure. The owner of the company I purchased everything from has seen it before, but not often.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are they going to stand behind their parts and fix it? That is the real question.
I don't know yet what's going to happen. The exact cause has yet to be determined, and different manufacturers made different parts.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, so far the cam is frozen in the front bearing and several valves are bent. The pistons and cylinders are okay.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything was new.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Only reasons i can see that it would seize the cam would be clearance issues or lack of oil. If cam went in ok and spun by hand with no lifters in it, then clearance shouldn't have been an issue. That leaves oil issue. Either cam bearing or main wasnt lined up to the holes in the block. Then it would starve for oil on that journal and allow the cam to seize.
Sucks to have a major catastrophe like that, but there has to be a reason for it. Better to find out then wipe a second cam out and take valves out. Sorry again. I know how frustrating it is to have crap like that happen. It blows.

·
Super Moderator
15,745 Posts
Well, so far the cam is frozen in the front bearing and several valves are bent. The pistons and cylinders are okay.
similar though as what @Chllngrswpr mentioned

- it sounds like the cam bearing seized and once that happened the cam put force against the chain and sprocket would have sheared the dowel pin and engine went out of time and bent valves.
Probably what saved things is when cam went out of time, engine shut down and that prevented more catastrophic damage to heads / pistons / cylinder walls.

The old timing chain issue that would happen is the chain / chain guide let go at speed and with engine at a higher rpm for a few moments during that event was pretty catastrophic damage. When the head of the valve breaks off, it gets hammered into the head and top of piston until engine stops rotating.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only reasons i can see that it would seize the cam would be clearance issues or lack of oil. If cam went in ok and spun by hand with no lifters in it, then clearance shouldn't have been an issue. That leaves oil issue. Either cam bearing or main wasnt lined up to the holes in the block. Then it would starve for oil on that journal and allow the cam to seize.
Sucks to have a major catastrophe like that, but there has to be a reason for it. Better to find out then wipe a second cam out and take valves out. Sorry again. I know how frustrating it is to have crap like that happen. It blows.
That is one of my thoughts, but there is more to look at according to the company I got everything from.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts