Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dont see how theres more to look at. Cam locked up. If it was all the cam journals then i could see something else. But only 1 makes me think cam bearing was incorrectly installed. When cam locked down crank momentum sheared the cam bolt. Piston kept moving and smacked the valve because cam was locked in position. Double check the pushrods. Roll them on piece of flat glass to double check.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I know what the cause is, I'll post it here. Five valves are badly bent, and all of the pistons have been dented. This happened while the engine was idling, getting ready to log data, and the engine abruptly quit with no sounds or warning. The engine has never been above 800 RPMs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The valves is an after effect.the piston dents tells the valve train stoped and crank didnt. Its also the reason the cam pin sheared. If #1 main bearing looks good then id definitely look at the #1 cam bearing as reason. More then likely it is off and the holes didnt line up. That would create a no oil situation for that journal. Being the first bearing you should be able to see the hole in the bearing. Snake a coat hanger or something small and stiff into the hole and see if it goes in and how far.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts