Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its time, I have a friend with a really big mouth and a stock 2010 ss camaro 6 speed and he just wont leave it alone so I am gonna race him, I ve got a 09 R/t auto, MBRP exhaust, airraid CAI, and I not bragging but I am a better driver then him, I know I can holeshot him but what do I need to do to my car to keep me out front ? can I do it now or should I wait till I get my predator and will that even be enough ? I aint scared but I ve had enough of his BS. and I know he is gonna bring all the world to see this. If I lose I may have to move

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Ok its time, I have a friend with a really big mouth and a stock 2010 ss camaro 6 speed and he just wont leave it alone so I am gonna race him, I ve got a 09 R/t auto, MBRP exhaust, airraid CAI, and I not bragging but I am a better driver then him, I know I can holeshot him but what do I need to do to my car to keep me out front ? can I do it now or should I wait till I get my predator and will that even be enough ? I aint scared but I ve had enough of his BS. and I know he is gonna bring all the world to see this. If I lose I may have to move
Put on a blower at about 6-7 PSIG that should take care of the HP & weight difference

5,134 Posts
Get a set of headers on there, and remove all the useless weight you can before the race (spare tire, engine cover, underhood crap)

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Get a predator tune, drop tires to 22#, power brake to 1500 RPM and shut the big mouth down. My brother had a 2010 2SS/RS 6sp and all he could do was spin and run his mouth. His best time was 13.14 mine stock was 13.10. He now has a 2010 2SS/RS auto and he still can't beat my 2010 RT auto. But now I have a few mod's as you can see in my sig. New tires and weld wheels just waiting on spring to break the 11's. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
if he has a 6-speed and isn't a pro driver, you have a chance with your auto R/T. just practice launching your car for the best 0-60 time you can get. make sure you have no passengers to weigh you down. have your friends drive along with him to slow him down.

just make sure you don't fishtail into each other.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
For sure lose as much weight as possible if the race is that big of deal. Take the seats out but the drivers for sure. Anything else you don't need, get it out.

I think with a predator you will be pretty close against the 6 speed, especially if he is not that good with it.

Like SS said, practice a LOT! Good luck.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I like S/S Dodge's post the most, but it sounds like you (Highwayflyer) are new to this stuff. If so, I would say to not do this race, if you are just now figuring out your car, and evidently so much is riding on if you win or not. You need to get acclimated to the whole dynamics of launching and racing your car and the behavior of hardware before you start racing people for actual "stuff", let alone have a healthy respect for "consequences". The reason I bring all this up is if you have all those things under your belt, then the wording of your topic opener post seems kind of strange, imo. If you got things riding on this race, now is not the time to be polling for tips on racing or modding your car. These are things that should already be well-worked out and established between you and your car at this point. Please forgive me, if I am mistaken on this impression.

Anything that could be disclosed to you in this topic that you already didn't know would be an experimental thing that you would need to further hone into your process. Otherwise it could work out to become more of an impediment, if you haven't fully worked it out in use. You don't want that kind of wildcard on a "serious" race.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
throw a tune on there and take care of business. since you have the auto and he has the 6 speed, if you can get that whole shot, he better know how to shift perfectly to run you down with those mods. biggest thing for you is GETTING THAT WHOLE SHOT! remember those Camaros have launch control and a bit of a HP advantage too.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
My "qwik tips" for ensuring the hardware puts out all its worth on race day would be as follows:

-make sure your engine isn't in heatsoak mode
-be running on premium octane gas (even though the manual says you don't have to)
-delay mashing the pedal to the floor until you are at the very last 700-1000 rpm before redline

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
um.. I beat 5 stock.. there's a vid of one run on speedy site..

Just drive that thing and leave nothing on the table..

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Predator, 91 tune, 93 octane just in case, lower your tires to 25/27 lbs, hit the gas and say by to the windbag! he will burn off the line, use slap stick in 1 and let the car shift for you. good luck take few trial runs somewhere. be careful with the 91 cai tune you could also spin for a bunch of feet.
let us know how you do.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
-make sure your engine isn't in heatsoak mode
thats HUGE. i forgot about that one. if you do the predator, get the 180 t-stat and lower the fans settings to battle that hp killer. i think someone on the boards here showed a 20hp/tq loss when the engine was heatsoaked. that would kill your chances right there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ask me how I know...but a 180* thermo - DS Predator 91 tune running 93 fuel.- K&N DROP IN replacement filter in your stock air box, - 22 to 25 lbs in the rear tires, - and a COOLED DOWN AUTO HEMI, use the key trick to eliminate any ESP/BAS computer interference and you will be runnin high 12s...my best is a 12.7. I have YET to see a STOCK 6 speed Camaro (or Challenger) break out of low 13s at the track I run at! As said above get to the line in auto stick, leave it at 1st , launch @ 1200 to 1500 RPM then mash the pedal, and let the car shift itself...DO NOT SLAP SHIFT Good luck, and enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
race

I want his azz so bad, he has been calling when he knows I am not home and leaving messages on my answering machine, I am 51 years old and used to street race alot, been about 18 years since though, I ve had some super quick cars and beat faster cars just because I could jump em off the start, i rode and even drove his SS and I am not that impressed, we have been friends about 20 years but this is just about to end it, and no I dont care about the friendship, I got my car in september and I am really happy with the way it runs, I ve been beat before and it sucks but his big mouth has just done it, thats part of why I dont care if the friendship is kaput. :fight:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Getting a tune should make it a good race. I like launching at 2000 rpms. Let off brake then ease into the gas without spinning the wheels and just leave it in drive. With the Camaro being a manual it's a hit or miss depending on his skill. I've seen a new stock Camaro run 12.9

1 - 20 of 69 Posts