Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue has been going on since about mid November. My car has been to the dealer 3 times for this same problem and every time they tell me its fixed its not. The car went into the shop for the first time in the end of november for a steering squeal noise whenever I would turn my wheel in any direction (see video below). When I got the car back, they said they replaced the clock spring and it should be fixed. I backed the car out of the lot, turned the wheel and the noise was still there. So I pulled the car back in the spot and told them it wasnt fixed. He told me to bring it back next week.

The next time I brought it back was the December 10th. This time they said they replaced the clock spring again and took apart the whole steering column. Once again, I picked up the car, the sound was still there.

The third time I brought it to them was on the 21st and told them do what you have to do to get it fixed. I got a call on the 26th that they got 95% of the sound out and that was the best they can do. When I picked up the car on Jan 3rd I did the same thing I did every time. I backed out, turned the wheel....no sound. I drove to the end of the dealerships lot, tried it again, and it was back! I told the service manager (who knew about this the whole time) that it was back. He came for a ride for me to show him again. He then took the car around the lot himself to make sure I wasnt doing anything (I think). He stated he was going to have to contact Dodge to see what they say about it. He advised me they may make him replace the whole column but he wasnt fond of that. I expressed my feelings that this was a 2010 model and shouldnt need a new column.

I was finally able to get in touch with him today and he stated that Dodge wants him to remove the clock spring and reinstall everything without the clockspring to see if the noise is still there. I told the service manager that this is going to be the 4th time the car is coming in for this problem and Im pretty sure it is not going to get fixed. I already have my letter written up for the New Jersey Lemon Law Act and will be taking it with me when I drop off the car to show him that if its not fixed, I want a brand new car. I didnt pay 35k for a cars wheel to make noises everytime I turn the wheel.

P.S. This happens at all speeds and is different from the noise that most people state happens at low speed. Check out the videos.

November 9th

December 12th

December 19th

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would say to the dealership......."see if this is being created by the actual (workings) of the steering system by removing any rotating covers (plastic or otherwise) that don't contribute to the steering itself." Then if the squeak can be determined to be part of the steering itself......"Please show me the Challenger that you have for me to replace this one."

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redliner,

This is the last straw for them to fix it. If they dont get it this time, the car is not coming home with me. NJ Lemon Law states 2 times for the same problem and its considered a lemon. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they treat me great there eventhough I didnt buy the car from them. But enough is enough, Im paying montly for my car and I want to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I had an 05 grand cherokee that made the same noise, I never did get it fixed. Gave it back after the lease expired a couple years ago. It doesn't help you at all but thought you might want to know that its not just you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Are you ready for a five minute fix, maybe? I had a similiar problem on my '05 Magnum. Same squeek anyway! Although the squeek sounds like it is coming from right under the horn area, in my case, it wasn't coming from there, although it sounded like it, and I'd bet, you have the same problem. The squeek on mine was actually coming from where the steering column goes through the floor board. There is a white plastic ring down there someplace and they put a little lithium grease around that ring and problem was solved and hasn't been back since 2005. I know that it sounds like it is coming from right in front of you, but I bet it isn't. Mention this to the dealer, it was a fairly common problem on the early LX's and I think the LC's are close enough for it to be the same problem cropping up again. Have your dealer put some lithium grease around that white ring and see if that doesn't fix your squeek.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yeah,...that is annoying.I'd go nuts if I had to listen to that.I think Bonez is on to something,...hope it works out for you.

If the lithium grease does not work I'd have them replace the steering wheel or entire steering column.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this is a dead thread but I'll leave it here in case it helps anyone.

Some say just that the column needs to be lubed again where it goes into the firewall.
The maintenance disc/manual has the step by step, but anyway, it involves removing 2 screws, and a couple of fasteners. Something the dealer will charge you an hour labor for, I suspect. I also wonder whether or not some of these "bearing went bad in the steering column" were not just a simple case of lack of lube and a stiff boot.

So, before I got involved in that, I did a little digging, and it turns out the plastic, carpet-like cover just above the pedals and over the area you're looking for is flexible and bends out and up just enough for you to see the rubber boot covering the column. It isn't ideal, but you will see enough to be able to do the next little bit.
Simply move the rubber protective boot down towards the engine compartment, apply lithium grease on the white plastic cup that will now be uncovered, and let the rubber boot spring back up, adjusting so the cup is covered again.Gently release the carpet-like material, and make sure it seats back into place so it won't get in the way of the pedals

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen in a Chrysler 300 last week. It ended up being a rubber boot. Have them check all the rubber. I thought it was something very serious and it wasn't. I dealt with that sound for 2 months and 3 trips to my dealrship as well. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts