Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My step-dad was a 20 year air force and 20 year USPS veteran. He passed away from heart complications on Friday after a lengthy battle with a myriad of health problems he developed from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.

He purchased the car in 2011 and drove it for a little while before his health issues started to sideline him. I was always told the car would be mine some day, but whenever I would take it to have the oil changed or give her a bath it was so he could see the car. I spent a little time in it, maybe 300 miles or so over the years, but the bulk of the 2,266 miles were from him.

Aside from the natural "I'd rather have my step-dad" sentiment, I know it's going to take me a while to fully feel like this vehicle now belongs to me. (It's only been a couple of days and still very surreal)

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the car, although I have already decided that I DO want to keep it. I just don't know it what capacity.

When I drive the car, it BEGS me to put it through its paces. It REQUIRES love and attention. I don't want it to be a garage queen, but I also don't want to terribly diminish any value it may (arguably) have many years down the line. I'm 34 years old so I could very well have this car for another 50 years.

My first priority is getting some nice neoprene seat covers for the front and back, because as we all know, white leather is horrible.

I need to get her out and get some run time on it. Cold start this morning felt a little rough, and the last time it was out of the garage was in May when I had the oil changed (it had been a year but only 250 miles).

I would also like to put cutouts on her sometime in the future. I haven't heard a 392 in person with them but even on youtube they sound amazing. I like the ability to turn on beast mode with the flip of a switch, while still being able to have an exhaust that let's me cruise at highway speeds without vibrating my teeth out of my skull.

What are some other things you guys and gals would suggest if you were in my shoes? Trinity tune? Tips and tricks for detailing?

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Another guy on here has this in his signature: "Not driving your car to keep the miles low, is like saving your wife for the next guy". I am in no way implying that is why your Step-Dad didn't drive it, but I'm posting it as a way to have you think about the car in a different way. In MY opinion, cars are built to be driven. Will your recent addition to your stable be a collectors car one day? Maybe, just maybe, but what's the fun in that, letting it sit there, when every time you do drive it, it's begging to be put thru it's paces?! Take her out and drive it; my 16 Scat Pack is my daily driver, and now that my wife and I carpool into work, switching between my Challenger and her SXT Charger every week, I'm reminded every time I fire up my SRT Powered rig as to why I bought it: it's a blast to drive.

You now have a free car, not many of us have been lucky enough to have been gifted such a nice machine. Just think of him every time you fire it up, and when you stab the go-pedal, do it in his honor, give it a little extra, he'll be smiling down on you as you do so! Now log off and go for a drive in that fine machine.

I miss my Dad every day, since he passed in 2008. While he worked for GM for 33 years, he always told my 5 Brothers and I that if we found a better car than a GM, buy it. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be such a car nut!

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, I too lost my father recently and its a very tough thing. He really enjoyed riding in my Challenger, he would have me take back roads so I could do hard launches and acceleration. He was always a speed freak when I was younger.

You have a very special car there, enjoy and it, have fun in it, and remember all the great times with your father!!

-Kenny

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
My step-dad was a 20 year air force and 20 year USPS veteran. He passed away from heart complications on Friday after a lengthy battle with a myriad of health problems he developed from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.

He purchased the car in 2011 and drove it for a little while before his health issues started to sideline him. I was always told the car would be mine some day, but whenever I would take it to have the oil changed or give her a bath it was so he could see the car. I spent a little time in it, maybe 300 miles or so over the years, but the bulk of the 2,266 miles were from him.

Aside from the natural "I'd rather have my step-dad" sentiment, I know it's going to take me a while to fully feel like this vehicle now belongs to me. (It's only been a couple of days and still very surreal)

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the car, although I have already decided that I DO want to keep it. I just don't know it what capacity.

When I drive the car, it BEGS me to put it through its paces. It REQUIRES love and attention. I don't want it to be a garage queen, but I also don't want to terribly diminish any value it may (arguably) have many years down the line. I'm 34 years old so I could very well have this car for another 50 years.

My first priority is getting some nice neoprene seat covers for the front and back, because as we all know, white leather is horrible.

I need to get her out and get some run time on it. Cold start this morning felt a little rough, and the last time it was out of the garage was in May when I had the oil changed (it had been a year but only 250 miles).

I would also like to put cutouts on her sometime in the future. I haven't heard a 392 in person with them but even on youtube they sound amazing. I like the ability to turn on beast mode with the flip of a switch, while still being able to have an exhaust that let's me cruise at highway speeds without vibrating my teeth out of my skull.

What are some other things you guys and gals would suggest if you were in my shoes? Trinity tune? Tips and tricks for detailing?

Thanks everyone.
Keep a picture of him under the sun visor that way you can talk to him if you need to unwind.

Anyone outside is going to assume you're using the hands free.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Drive it my man..cars are meant to be fun! Let your pops hear in roaring while he is sitting in the halls of Valhalla.

Reactions: Drew1968

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I would be wary of putting a seat cover over white leather - whatever backing or material they're make of might discolor a light color leather.

Clean and maintain the seats like you would with paint.

One other point - don't wear new denim without washing it - I use vinegar in the wash to "set" the dye. It makes the dye hold up better and you don't end up with transfer.

I have a 16.5 year car with cream color leather interior - it looks as good as when I got the car new.

Modern leather has a clear top coat applied to it. Keeping it clean is a major step - dirt and grime abrade the surface and discolor it if you don't keep it clean.

Dark leather might "hide" soil, but it gets dull and weathered looking - unless you keep it clean and maintain it.

I've know of people that covered seats and later on removed them and had discolored leather.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't cover the seats, just maintain as Hal H says (above). Keep a big white bath towel in your trunk in case you get dirty to act as a temp seat cover until you can clean up. Finally..., drive and enjoy that car. My dad passed away in 2010 (at 82) and although he could care less about cars (thought they were only for getting from point a to point b) he was a golf fanatic.. I think of him every time I use his favorite putter. :smile:

·
Registered
580 Posts
First, sorry for your loss.

Second, take care of the seats as mentioned above.

Third, drive the car. In 10 years, the electronics in any modern cars will fail and never be replaceable. In a few years, gasoline will be so hard to find and expensive, you won't be driving anything not run on batteries. The future value of these cars is not guaranteed. You would make more money selling the car today and investing it in a mutual fund. Keep the car clean, well maintained, drive it, take it to a few shows and maybe come home with a trophy or two. If you really think you want to keep the car for a long long time, don't do any mods. No exhaust cut outs, no tune, nothing. Keep it stock and love life.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys think a Diablo Trinity is worth it? The car is an auto as my step-dad had 2 stints put in his left leg and a manual was out of the question.

I've read various things on people turning off the MDS.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. But I am happy that you are keeping the IE, I think it will be a great reminder
of him and a continuing memory maker.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Sorry for your loss man. I would drive and enjoy the car and think of your father in law when you're having fun in it. That's probably what he would want to see you do, not just park it in the garage.

If you get bit by the go-fast bug, I'd look into a hemifever custom tune along with a Trinity or Intune tuner, it will really wake the car up. I'd also toss a catch can on there to keep the intake cleaner. Otherwise unless you really want to go a lot faster than that, that should keep you pretty happy. It's also cool just 100% stock as well, you could go either way.

As the others said, don't look at it as an investment, you can make more money in other areas like real estate, stock market, etc. Drive the car and enjoy it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for your loss man. I would drive and enjoy the car and think of your father in law when you're having fun in it. That's probably what he would want to see you do, not just park it in the garage.

If you get bit by the go-fast bug, I'd look into a hemifever custom tune along with a Trinity or Intune tuner, it will really wake the car up. I'd also toss a catch can on there to keep the intake cleaner. Otherwise unless you really want to go a lot faster than that, that should keep you pretty happy. It's also cool just 100% stock as well, you could go either way.

As the others said, don't look at it as an investment, you can make more money in other areas like real estate, stock market, etc. Drive the car and enjoy it!
A catch can was one of the things I was 99% on getting. I haven't read a single review yet that say someone regretted putting it on their car lol. The tuner and a tune would be down the road, maybe next spring or even summer. The car is already scarey fast. I've never owned a car that can roast the tires just by standing on the gas.

I plan on taking my time, getting a feel for it...bonding...you know, developing that man/car relationship.

I live near a drag strip but don't think I'll ever take the car there. Maybe once just for the experience, but definitely not a regular thing. I know all the cops around here and don't want to be "that guy" who has an absurdly loud exhaust all the time, hence my inquiry about the cutouts.

I had an 08 chrysler 300C and had the muffler shop across the street cut out the suitcase muffler and leave the resos. It sounded SO GOOD but the MDS drone absolutely killed it for me, I should have had a predator on that one. It wasn't a fast car by any means but I had constant comments on how great it sounded.

My step-dad had a couple things done to it when he bought it. Challenger door sil plates, Mopar T-Handle shifter, full body and undercarriage ziebart treatment.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Your 2011 392 does not have MDS. Enjoy the car. Fill. Wash. Wax. HAMMER. Park. Smile. Say "Thanks" and a prayer. Rest. Repeat.
Automatic trans 392 do have MDS been that way since the '11s to the present.
- its one of the ways a larger displacement engine and more power output exceeded what the 6.1s could have for MPG.

If its a 'stick equipped 392, then there's not MDS [as the 5.7s are with 'stick]

The 6.1s weren't equipped with MDS during their production run.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
First, sorry for your loss.

Second, take care of the seats as mentioned above.

Third, drive the car. In 10 years, the electronics in any modern cars will fail and never be replaceable. In a few years, gasoline will be so hard to find and expensive, you won't be driving anything not run on batteries. The future value of these cars is not guaranteed. You would make more money selling the car today and investing it in a mutual fund. Keep the car clean, well maintained, drive it, take it to a few shows and maybe come home with a trophy or two. If you really think you want to keep the car for a long long time, don't do any mods. No exhaust cut outs, no tune, nothing. Keep it stock and love life.
What??? I think you went off the deep end for a while there. No replacement parts........????? WHY. I can buy a replacement part for a car made 50 years ago now!!! Gasoline hard to get??? Impossible, swimming in oil. IF so why would he take care of it now????? To your point it would be worthless in the future without gas or parts. Sounds like Mad Max, Dude, really. I totally agree with the rest

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. I lost mine at 22. Really sucks. Now you have this car. Do some soul searching. In times of grief best to not make big moves. That means modding the car too. (catch cans are maintenance) Care for it for now. Have fun!! Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
29 year AF and Vietnam vet here too!
Luckily, no AO exposure that I know of to blame on getting old.

If you plan on selling it; don't put much mileage on it!

And, if you don't want to, or have the need to drive it, SELL IT SOON before the price goes down just because of age.

I got my 2011 SRT8 in GWE just a little over a year ago with 25K on her!
She approaching 40K now in that 14 months. But, I love driving her and going to car shows.
And, I love opening her up when there is a need to!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts