Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was dogging my 392 for like 30min straight. After lil fun I was driving back home when my battery sensor went on and 2-3 min after my coolant sensor went on and check the temperature and it was at 265. I drove it like that for like 5 block before I pulled over and notice the engine belt had snap off and the car was pissin antifreeze from the bottom. I immediately turn of the car. My concern is if it received any engine damage due to the temperature reaching almost 270f and turning of after being driven almost 6-8 blocks before I could pull over? Any thoughts on it? Also is there any signs to look out for engine overheat damage?

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
Did you check your oil? Anything milky white would indicate a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I did not but I will. Does it matter if I check it now or should I have done that last night when it was still hot?

·
Registered
309 Posts
No I did not but I will. Does it matter if I check it now or should I have done that last night when it was still hot?
Doesn't matter. Check it and let us know. This would mean coolant got into the crankcase. There are a lot of smart engine guys on here so stay tuned.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts
Last night I was dogging my 392 for like 30min straight. After lil fun I was driving back home when my battery sensor went on and 2-3 min after my coolant sensor went on and check the temperature and it was at 265. I drove it like that for like 5 block before I pulled over and notice the engine belt had snap off and the car was pissin antifreeze from the bottom. I immediately turn of the car. My concern is if it received any engine damage due to the temperature reaching almost 270f and turning of after being driven almost 6-8 blocks before I could pull over? Any thoughts on it? Also is there any signs to look out for engine overheat damage?
First for the benefit of others when pushing the car hard if supported have oil temperature and coolant temperature displayed and monitor those. At the first sign either temperature may be running amuck fun time over. Back off but if temperature continues to climb or there are other signs of problems -- for instance leaking coolant -- shut off the engine.

Impossible to say if the engine suffered any harm but my WAG is if it did you would have been aware of it.

All you can do is replace the V-belt. But before you do try to figure out why the belt failed. Unless you ran the belt way past its change by date/miles they just don't snap. It was out of alignment and failed. It could be out of alignment due to an accessory drive having excessive bearing play. This can have the belt with too much force against one side and can lead to catastrophic failure. An accessory drive that is high on the list would be the water pump. Leaking fluid down low could be from the water pump seals. Check all accessory drives for any excessive play. No Dodge experience but with other cars any accessory drive with play is the bad one. An abnormally worn pulley can be a clue, too.

(It is rare but there is the possibility a foreign object somehow got in the accessory drive and caused the belt to snap.)

After you are sure the accessory drive system is ok turn your attention to the coolant level.

Be sure the cooling system fluid level is ok. When you check it look for any signs of oil in the coolant. This usually shows up as a dark blob of oil (or several) floating on top of the coolant in the tank. If you see this that's likely a failed head gasket. You have to get this diagnosed and addressed. You can use distilled water and then later check the coolant's freeze protection and take steps to bring it up to spec. You want to avoid using the wrong/incompatible anti-freeze and making things worse.

Check the oil level to be sure it is ok. If you want you can drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil. Catch the old oil in a clean drain pan and then after the drain look for any sign of water (coolant) in the oil. If you see any water in the oil that's also likely a failed head gasket. At any rate like oil in the coolant coolant in the oil requires the reason be found and fixed.

If everything looks ok start the engine. If it sounds unhealthy at start up or at any time after shut 'er down right now. No sick engine ever got better with more run time. You'll have to flat bed the car to a dealer for a professional tech's diagnosis.

·
Registered
853 Posts
As said above, check the oil then the coolant to make sure there is nothing wrong there.

See why the belt failed because unless really old or modified, it really shouldn’t but stuff happens.

Refill and burp coolant and start the car to see if it smokes or makes any unfamiliar noises.

My 13’ challenger did the same (though my belt shredded and ripped through the wiring on my electric water pump and caused the overheating) and I refilled the coolant and have been driving it since with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So the v- belt gave out beacause of a plastic pulley (not an actual engine pulley but support pulley) that wraps around the the engine. Idk why but it warped and sheddred the belt that's when I got the battery failure charge sensor on and 2-3 min after the temperature went up to 260-270f and that's when I got the coolant sensor on and notice the temp. After 6-8 blocks or so was when I was able to pull over turn of the car and notice it was pissing antifreeze and the belt was shredded. I called the dealer they said it's covered in power train warranty still. Am just shocked that they don't make thoes engine components stronger specially the plastic ones to stand the power of a big engine. Am mad beacause all this shit happened because of a stupid weak plastic part that ****ed my belt, coolant system and possibly my engine. To think something as little as that could be the cause for so much problems...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I’m still wondering about your crankcase oil and your coolant though. That would be a serious problem. Did you happen to check?

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,306 Posts
Not all headgasket failures will slip coolant into the oil, although milky oil can be an indicator, its not fool proof means of detection.
Watch your coolant level closely and monitor exhaust, if you are burning coolant, both will give you tell tale signs.
If the engine sustained temps over 275'sh or higher for any length of time, may want to consider an oil change as well. This would also allow you to better analyze the current engine oil.
You are probably ok, a spike in temp below 275, briefly shouldnt hurt things, prolonged operation is another matter however.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
Funny post !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I haven't gotten around to check the oil, since it's sitting in the dealer now. Others told me too that I shouldn't worry if I didn't drive the car too long at that temp. Still thoes 5min at 260-270 that I did drove it before I pulled over is worrying me. Now the dealer is saying that the pulley and belt are not covered under power train warranty since it's outside the engine. Wondering if they have high performance parts instead cuz I don't want the same thing happening again.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
Yeah I haven't gotten around to check the oil, since it's sitting in the dealer now. Others told me too that I shouldn't worry if I didn't drive the car too long at that temp. Still thoes 5min at 260-270 that I did drove it before I pulled over is worrying me. Now the dealer is saying that the pulley and belt are not covered under power train warranty since it's outside the engine. Wondering if they have high performance parts instead cuz I don't want the same thing happening again.
I disagree with their conclusion that the belt and pulley aren't covered under warranty. At best, maybe the belt could be considered normal wear and tear similar to how tires wouldn't be covered. The fact that the pulley (assuming it's stock) failed, hence shredding the belt, is a different story, however.
I'd investigate that situation further up the food chain with someone higher up in Dodge. Mt reasoning is, if you accept that both the pulley and belt aren't covered, you're also setting yourself up to find out the ENGINE isn't either!
They can just say the uncovered items caused the engine to fail, so therefore it's your fault. I'd be all over that since you don't want to be left responsible for an engine that may have issues either now or in the future.
I'm not sure if the dealership has told you, "don't worry about the engine, it's covered", but even if they did verbally, that can change real fast when push turns to shove. If possible, I'd want assurance in writing that the engine warranty is still in effect. If they're reluctant to do so, all bets are off should there be issues now or in the future.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Hi Freddy067,

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If our team can be of any additional assistance while your Challenger is in service, we'd be more than happy to help. We are just a private message away.

Mark
DodgeCares

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,907 Posts
Seems perfectly feasible that the failure is not covered, as long as the OP is outside his 3/36. Unless specifically stated otherwise, neither the tensioner or the belt are internally lubricated parts, and both, particularly the belt, is indeed considered a wear item.

Reactions: JavierA

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Seems perfectly feasible that the failure is not covered, as long as the OP is outside his 3/36. Unless specifically stated otherwise, neither the tensioner or the belt are internally lubricated parts, and both, particularly the belt, is indeed considered a wear item.
Correct, when I had the WP fail after the 36k mile bumper to bumper one of the pulleys were not covered under the powertrain warranty but was under the extended bumper to bumper. The belt is not covered since it's considered a wear item...

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
I'm assuming, since he said his engine should be covered under warranty, that it's under 3/36, although he may have an extended warranty. Not sure about the internally lubricated parts clause, but my attitude is, if the engine needs a pulley to keep it properly cooled, it's attached to the engine, and original equipment, Dodge would have a hard time convincing me it's not covered. If this is the case, why were many of the 5.7 engines that had issues with faulty MDS tensioners covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'm assuming, since he said his engine should be covered under warranty, that it's under 3/36, although he may have an extended warranty. Not sure about the internally lubricated parts clause, but my attitude is, if the engine needs a pulley to keep it properly cooled, it's attached to the engine, and original equipment, Dodge would have a hard time convincing me it's not covered. If this is the case, why were many of the 5.7 engines that had issues with faulty MDS tensioners covered under warranty?
The MDS tensioners were covered under the Timing chain assemblies recall. So unless there's a recall on the pulley then it would only be covered under the bumper to bumper and not powertrain. I know it sounds sick and the tech at the dealer told me he didn't know know why that specific pulley but he said probably because it's a wear item like the belt.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
Freddy067, how many miles are on your 392? I need to know in order to be sure to sell mine 100 miles beforehand.

Reactions: Fawls
1 - 19 of 19 Posts