Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wont disclose the name of the dealer just yet, I am giving them a chance to resolve my problem first, but this is what I have so far.

Dropped car off on 7/8, was told it would be done that day. Got a call at 4:30 that it was not finished, wouldn't get it back until the next day.

7/9, picked car up. Immediately noticed dirty hand prints on both fenders, the hood and header panel and the deck lid. Not immediately concerned as I know that they would not wipe them off with a plush microfiber like I use, so I let that pass. Get in the car, start it, and the radio is blaring. Get that turned down, then find that they did not bother to reset the clock when they reconnected the battery. I got the car home, opened the trunk, found the access panel for the battery still open. Raised the hood to check things out there, and found the coolant tank to be a half-gallon low on coolant. Checked the oil, dipstick reads full, oil looks clean, OK.

Two days later, the oil change indicator comes on. I think, no problem, they didn't reset it, so I took care of it.

Fast forward 3 weeks and roughly 300 miles. I am under the car adding the 392 front lip when I glance up to see the same Mobil 1 oil filter on my car that I installed myself on the last oil change. OK, I am getting pissed now. I called the dealership, was not able to speak to anyone, the call kept getting bounced through the menus, so I sent an email from their website. I gave my name, date and nature of the service, and asked if I needed to change my oil since the filter was untouched. About 2 hours later, I get a call. The person I spoke seemed confused that oil and a filter were on my work order, he does not think that Dodge allows reimburses them for the filter. He said that they drain and refill the oil, but a filter is not included. He does not know that I have the entire P01 instructional document in front of me that shows step 80 and 81 as removing, discarding and replacing the oil filter. I asked about the low coolant, he told me that I probably just had an air bubble that brought the level down.

As of right now, he is "going to check into this further", but in the meantime he suggested that I change the oil myself, just in case. I think it is 50/50 that I get a call back, and if I do I will have the P01 sheet in front of me just in case they try to pull one over on me. For now, I need oil and a filter as I have no idea of what may have dropped inside the oil pan while it was apart. I may also get a sample and send it to Blackstone for analysis in case some RTV or brake cleaner got in there and contaminated the oil.

Thats it so far, i'll advise of any updates. I purposely waited several months before having this work done in order to avoid crap like this, we see how much good that did.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
dang that sucks....keep us posted

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got a call back today, surprisingly. They offered another oil change, wanted to set an appointment up for next week, but I changed it myself since I had oil and a filter in the garage and since the Service Adviser already recommended that I change it. We settled on 7 quarts of oil and a filter for me to change myself. I do all my own service with the exception of warranty or recall work, so that works for me. Its not the synthetic that I use but i'll have it if I need it. I didn't address any of the other issues since I already resolved those prior to discovering the filter issue.

I cant help but wonder if this was a simple mistake or if this was just a way to get reimbursed by Dodge for parts that were not used.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Sounds like a dealer change is needed? Not sure if that is possible where you live. I hear ya on the dealer deals...been there done that and luckily found one who is really good. It's a bit of a drive for me but its better than the alternate shop who I wouldn't let change the oil in my lawn mower....

I'd be careful to agreeing with things. It could burn you down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is another Dodge dealer 20 minutes South, but it was recently purchased by this same family. The only other options are roughly an hour North.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Whenever I have anything done by any "professional technician" I never expect it to be done right. And 95% of the time the outcome is nothing unexpected. I'm convinced we're living in the movie Idiocracy. What a shame that we amateurs have to constantly double check the professionals. If they can't do the obvious correctly, how can we expect the technical tasks to be done.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I got the recall. No way will they get to work on mine. They wouldnt anyway.
I will just pick up the recall parts and do the install.
FT

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was not certain if replacing the parts myself was even an option or I would have definitely gone that route. It is pretty sad that I found myself with the P01 instructions in hand, under my hood, checking the associated fasteners to make sure they appeared to have been removed. They did, obvious signs of contact with a wrench, and I did find the RTV that is added at the lower corners of the timing cover-oil pan seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.