Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 SRT Challenger "Refresh" - Announcement Spring Fest 2014

2015 SRT Challenger "Hellcat"

A teaser announcement was made at Springfest, March 22, 2014, (above) and the actual debut May 20, 2014.

Overview
- 6.2L (376.79 cu/in) Supercharged Hemi - 600-700 HP / 600-660 lbs-ft TQ
- 500HP - Black Key
- 600+HP/575+TQ - Red Key
- 200-202mph top speed
- 6-speed TREMEC manual and 8-speed ZF automatic transmission
- 6 piston front, 4 piston rear, slotted/dual disc caliper brakes
- 20x9.5 front, 20x9.5 rear aluminum alloy rims
- Pirelli PZero Nero (All Season) - 275/40/20s
- Optional Pirelli PZero Tires (3-season Summer) - 275/40/20s
- Bilstein 3-mode Active Dampening Suspension (Normal, Sport, Track)
- 3-mode Traction Control (On, Partial Off, Full Off)
- 4339 lbs (auto) / 4349 (manual)
- Halo lights, rear split LED, no fog lights, new hood, revised aerodynamics
- New interior (8.4" console screen, 7" digital gauge cluster, new seats, new door panels)
- Upgraded drivetrain (differential, axles, driveshaft)

The way ahead for Challenger is geared toward efficiency, performance, and technology improvements as there is not much more you can modify with the vehicle without it becoming something completely different. Each year of Challenger adds something progressively better to the vehicle in these three areas. The improvements in these areas are a necessity for this vehicle which is gearing me toward the 2015 as I believe it will enhance the Challenger's maximum potential. There might be additional technology like OLED driver screens and too many driver nanny technologies to list coming in the future, however, 2015-2017 will be very good years for Challenger just as the introduction of the 392 was in 2011-2012.

The 2017-2018 will be an awesome vehicle (more than likely a 6 or 4 cylinder turbo), however, it won't be a Challenger and I don't think it will have the heritage (similar to what happened to the modern Dart; a name without any real callout to it's roots). To some, Challenger might just be another costly performance car, but for me, it's one of the only vehicles that still has heritage (or as Lamborghini states, retaining its DNA); something that makes a vehicle priceless. If they do it right, it has a chance to become just as iconic as the ZL1, Z/28 and GT500s of our time; or to put it in other words, become a modern legend.

Name

Engine

6.2L (376-385 cu/in) Supercharged Hemi - 6.2L (376.79 cu/in) Supercharged Hemi - 600-700 HP / 600-660 lbs-ft TQ (9-12psi)
- iron block (4.09 bore x 3.58 stroke)
- 2380cc twin screw supercharger
- hot-forged pistons and connecting rods
- forged crankshaft
- clutched pulley

So going over some calculated, very rough #'s. Peak HP at 6,000rpms, peak TQ around 3,500-3,800rpms

571hp/541tq - 5-6psi
583hp/552tq - 6psi
594hp/564tq - 6-7psi
606hp/576tq - 7 psi (May 20, 2014 initial #'s; 600+hp/575+tq)
618hp/588tq - 7-8psi
629hp/599tq - 8psi
641hp/611tq - 8-9psi (current durability limit of the 6-speed TREMEC; 600lbs/ft tq)
652hp/623tq - 9psi
664hp/635tq - 9-10psi (possible target #'s; 9.5psi)
675hp/646tq - 10psi
687hp/658tq - 10-11psi
698hp/670tq - 11psi (8HP90 transmission durability limit; 663lbs/ft tq)
710hp/681tq - 11-11.6psi (8HP90 transmission durability limit; 663lbs/ft tq)

Comparable rough outputs of similar engines with boost:
392 (6.4L) with 6psi Magnacharger - 625HP / 580TQ
392 (6.4L) with 7psi Mangacharger - 660HP / 587TQ
6.1L with 8psi Magnacharger - 605HP / 570TQ
6.2L ZL1 with 10-12psi - 630HP / 630TQ - 650HP / 650TQ (injectors and harmonic balancer)

Transmissions
6-speed TREMEC TR-6060 manual transmission - torque input of 600 lb-ft / 814nm

8-speed ZF 8HP90 automatic transmission - torque input of 664 lb-ft / 900nm (January 2013 Kokomo Plant Production, replaces the 5-speed NAG1)
The new ZF 8-speed Automatic Transmission has 5 dedicated shift mods. Auto Normal, Auto Sport, Manual Normal, Manual Sport and Extreme Weather. In "M" Manual-mode, the driver can change gears by either Steering Wheel/Column "Paddle Shifters" or use the Trans lever.

The max output of the 6.2L will be limited by it's weakest link; the drivetrain and how much torque it can handle. The weakest links are the transmission, driveshaft and rear axles. The transmission torque input rating is the recommended safe limit of torque input based upon long term durability testing.

The new hellcat engine cannot exceed 600 lbs-ft torque / 814nm (the current TREMEC 6-speed input torque rating) unless the TREMEC gets beefed up.

Suspension/Handling

*New Steering* - electric system (knowledge/parts sharing from the Maserati vehicles)
Launch Control System (2013+ Challenger SRT8)
3-mode Adaptive Dampening Suspension - Auto, Sport, Track (2012+ Challenger SRT8)
3-mode Traction Control System - On, Partial, Off (2008+ Challenger SRT8)

We will more than likely see the same Bilstein Adaptive Damping Suspension used in the SRT lineup, however, see a revision to adaptive suspension programming.

Brakes

6 piston front Brembo dual cast/vented/slotted rotors; 4 piston rear Brembo dual disc, slotted brakes

A few thoughts from the SRT Chat Session on 3/12/2013 regarding brakes, "Why use four piston Brembo's and not six piston?
It's a balance between vehicle mass, acceleration and adhesion utilization. We size the brakes for fade performance, lining wear and stopping distance. A six piston caliper with the same effective piston area will only provide lower pad temps not improved stopping distance. If your looking for improved fade performance this will help but the stopping capability is the same.....ultimately you'll be skid limited either way."

As seen in the Test Mule concept, the rotors are slotted and the front brakes have 6 piston calipers. The benefit here is improved cooling from the dual disc rotors and 6 vs 4 piston calipers.

Aerodynamics/Exterior
The front fascia has been shown to be redesigned. This is likely for engine testing/airflow improvements for cooling the supercharged engine. Also, as mentioned earlier by Ralph, with the Fiat / Chrysler merger, they have accessibility to better aerodynamic simulation tools. Expect to see functional improvements in the new front fascia design.

Lessons learned from the competition: the ZL1 uses a hood extractor that is directly molded behind the radiator and allows air to pass directly out of the engine bay. Also, the use of a larger lower opening for the radiator, essentially air entering in the radiator from down low to the ground and exiting up high through the hood. Other aero improvements could come from the lessons learned on the SRT10 concept car and the front chin spoiler/splitter. Also, a possibility to incorporate the active grille technology to improve efficiency.

The expected changes are halo front lights with a redesigned front fascia (styling cues from the 1971 split grille Challenger), changes to the front fenders and rear quarter panels (larger rear to support the wider rear tire), changes to the rear fascia (possible incorporation of a rear diffuser), LED rear tail lamps (1971 cues with the split rear taillights).

Another possibility is an exterior carbon fiber upgrade aero package (think Viper T/A package).

Wheels/Tires

Pirelli P-Zero will replace the outgoing Goodyear F1 Supercar tires (as seen on the test mules).

Options on the rims include:
275/40/20, 20x9.5 all around (mentioned in the 2015 Challenger Information thread)

http:/www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1386611#post1386611

Interior

A major refresh to the interior is expected and you will probably see an update to this area due to part sharing to reduce overall business costs. The 4-bomb guage cluster will be refreshed with the new 7" TFT gauge screen currently being used in the Dart. The interior will also likely include the 8.4" screen with SRT performance pages incorporated along with dual climate control features, UConnect Access, backup camera, Sirius Radio, etc. Also, the interior door panels are to be refreshed and we'll probably expect the Radar Red, Sephia interiors and more "plush" alcantara interior Alcantara® extraordinary every day. The door panels and seats have been mentioned to be redone. Also, carbon fiber accents might become an additional package similar to what the Viper offers as a carbon fiber package.

Weight
The following is a weight comparison chart. Disregard the Laguna Seca track times (good info though). One of the key challenges for Challenger is reducing weight as it has more of an impact on the vehicle as a whole (suspension etc). The less lbs per HP/TQ required, the better it is for the vehicle. As far as how to reduce this weight, some of the largest benefits would come with a reduction in chassis weight (aluminum parts) and use of lighter weight parts (lighter seats). Currently the 2012 Challenger SRT weighs 4160lbs and the new chassis should provide, at least, a 150lb reduction. It all becomes a balancing act as we factor back in the weight of the new engine with supercharger. We can expect the curb weight to be slightly less, but relatively the same as the current platform.

Chassis

There are several chassis scheduled to get the 6.2L. Of note, the ones we are concerned with are LA (Challenger H), LC (Challenger), LD (Charger), and LX (300).

Being a MY2015 vehicle, the refreshed Challenger SRT will be an overhaul of the interior, front and rear exterior on the improved LA platform (it is believed this will also be the same chassis used for the Maserati GT). This would allow for the weight reduction due to use of more aluminum, new wiring architecture as well as the acceptance of the new 8-speed transmission.

The chassis is based around an aluminum casting with a reinforced cross-shrut. Which helps deliver outstanding rigidity in all directions. While the rear suspension of the chassis is made of Rolled Steel using a 5-link multi setup.

The rear diff will have a 2-piece 80mm third lightweight steel drop (Drivehafts) with 2-constant velocity joints and a Rubber Coupling. Ultra lightweight Magnesium will be used in some areas.

A Limited-Slip differential will use a mechanical unit similar to the present one.

In tribute to 6SPD4ME - http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/2015my-la-chassis-suspension-trans-info-challenger-102334/

"New" Platform

OntarioStreetCar.com » Coming LX-Platform replacement general details

Timeline
March 2014 - SpringFest 9 Unveiling
April 18-27, 2014 - New York Auto Show 2014 Official Show Debut
July 2014 - Production as a Model Year 2015 vehicle

"The challenger is about to go under the knife, uh it's actually under the knife as we speak. We're doing a lot to it and we're going to come with an answer for that [Z28] and an answer for our friends at Ford. Stay tuned, this space, this time [New York Auto Show] next year you'll see exactly what I'm talking about." ~ Motortrend

Check out 14:00 min in the video.

Originally Posted by challengeRRR - posted March 23, 2013
"Ralph said there's a BIG change for the debut of the Challenger next Spring Fest (2014) and its not going away any time soon and to expect big performance changes." ~Attendee at SpringFest 2013

Based on the comment made by Ralph Gilles at Spring Fest 2013, and now confirmed through his Motortrend WOT interview, the "refreshed" Challenger will be a MY2015 vehicle that will debut at Springfest 2014 and make an official appearance at the 2014 New York Auto Show (updated to August 2014 based on the new Chrysler 5-year plan).

Based off of the the Chrysler 5-year plan released on January 30, 2013, there are 3 SRT vehicles that will be introduced for CY2014. News: Staggered large-car refreshes in 2014?.

Other sources:
2015 Challenger Information Thread
MY (Model Year) 2015 SRT Challenger 6.2L Supercharged Hemi - LA platform
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT

·
Registered
207 Posts
MY2015 SRT Challenger 6.2L Supercharged Hemi - LC platform (Announcement SpringFest 2014; Summer 2014 Production as a MY2015).
What is the date of the 2014 SpringFest?
Where does the SpringFest take place?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the date of the 2014 SpringFest?
Where does the SpringFest take place?
It's in Irvine California. Spring Fest 2013 is going on right now and Ralph Gilles made mention of the quote today.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Great post, thanks for sharing! The new 'Cuda-styled front end doesn't look quite as good as what we've got now IMO.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So I'm guessing by all this that the 2014 Challenger will go unchanged and pretty much stay the same as the 2013's?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm liking that front bumper, may have to put that on the purchase list

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Well, I had a chance to speak to Ralph himself today at sf8 in irvine. Spoke to him for about 5 min. He said 2014 hellcat will get refresh (exterior&interior), will have the 8 spd auto, and eaton supercharged I guess by Arrington, and will be crush the completion in his words. Well over 600 HP. He said not to tell anyone. Lol
They have long term plans for the challenger. That was all the time I had since there was a line if people trying to get his autograph and pictures. Thank you Ralph. He also took his time with my kids signing their apparel and took some pictures. Next year the sp will be bigger. They sure have the space for it.
Overall very pleasant day to spend with family and fellow mopar guys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just want to make mention that the only "official" photo is the one with the bra cover. The other ones are renderings. I haven't had a chance to revise those images but if you look closer at the spy photos, the new front end looks more like a larger "smiley" face similar to the cuda. Revisions to follow when I get the time.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, I had a chance to speak to Ralph himself today at sf8 in irvine. Spoke to him for about 5 min. He said 2014 hellcat will get refresh (exterior&interior), will have the 8 spd auto, and eaton supercharged I guess by Arrington, and will be crush the completion in his words. Well over 600 HP. He said not to tell anyone. Lol
They have long term plans for the challenger. That was all the time I had since there was a line if people trying to get his autograph and pictures. Thank you Ralph. He also took his time with my kids signing their apparel and took some pictures. Next year the sp will be bigger. They sure have the space for it.
Overall very pleasant day to spend with family and fellow mopar guys.

It better crush the damn competition! How freakin' long is it taking this thing to get to market!??? :icon_flaming:

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Another hint that confirmed his words was his facial expressions as he said it.
This man is very competitive. We all saw what happened when the zr1 beat the new viper at Laguna seca. He came up with the viper TA and beat the zr1 s time. But he's only one man with a small team. And he has to make his case every time with those fiat execs and the Italians. He also mentioned today how they are having record braking sales and that it will help them with their R&D.
Give them time. Not too long ago Chrysler was almost dead. Good things are coming folks. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ray, your saying 2015 the 6.2 will debut, and Hemizsp is saying 2014. Which one is it for sure?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The first post sounds credible. It's not too costly to do a mild front fascia refresh and change some interior bits, so I could see that running for one model year. But it sounds like people who are wedded to the current style and not a shortened car should plan on getting a 2014.

·
Registered
918 Posts
well, I hope we all can live long enough to see some changes...and hopefully for the better. its all good

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ray, your saying 2015 the 6.2 will debut, and Hemizsp is saying 2014. Which one is it for sure?[/QUOTE]

My thought's exactly. Which one is it? I dont know whether to be bummed out here or excited. I want the Challenger but dont like the idea that it has the same interior and dashboard with the same radio and performance features on it. I dont want to have to wait until 2015 for the upgraded interior on the Challenger. The interior of the SRT Charger is awesome with the performance radio features but I dont want to buy a new car because of it's interior and dash. I want both the great looks of the Challenger AND the dashboard of the Charger. :2232censored::headbang::headbang::cursin:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ray, your saying 2015 the 6.2 will debut, and Hemizsp is saying 2014. Which one is it for sure?[/QUOTE]

My thought's exactly. Which one is it? I dont know whether to be bummed out here or excited. I want the Challenger but dont like the idea that it has the same interior and dashboard with the same radio and performance features on it. I dont want to have to wait until 2015 for the upgraded interior on the Challenger. The interior of the SRT Charger is awesome with the performance radio features but I dont want to buy a new car because of it's interior and dash. I want both the great looks of the Challenger AND the dashboard of the Charger. :2232censored::headbang::headbang::cursin:
Well, I would say it's a Model Year 2015 vehicle that will be announced at Spring Fest 2014 based on what Ralph Gilles said today at Spring Fest 2013. I would speculate and say that the interior will get overhauled with, at least, the 8.4 in screen as this is only makes sense from a cost perspective. 1 part for all SRT vehicles.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
About this Discussion
128 Replies
47 Participants
TinCuda
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing