Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I got a brand new 2018 Challenger R/T blacktop a couple days ago and noticed this mysterious box under the dashboard.
As you can see in the picture, it has a green button on it and I have pressed it several times but nothing happens. It seems very suspicious though, almost like a tracking device. It is located right under the dashboard and basically above your knees if you are sitting in the driver's side.

Do any of you have this also? My 2016 Challenger R/T did not have this so this is all very weird to me. I also tried looking in the owner's manual but nothing to be found there either.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
Often dealers have anti theft devices on their cars on the lot. Meant to be removed before they are sold. Perhaps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through the paperwork in more detail...turns out its an anti-theft device.

Its called the Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System. Its supposed to make it impossible for anyone without a valid key to drive the car.

Also I did some more research on it and yes it is installed by dealer not by manufacturer.

Thank you all for your responses...now we know!

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I wouldn't want that in my car and would have them remove it if it were there when I picked mine up.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I went through the paperwork in more detail...turns out its an anti-theft device.

Its called the Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System. Its supposed to make it impossible for anyone without a valid key to drive the car.

Also I did some more research on it and yes it is installed by dealer not by manufacturer.

Thank you all for your responses...now we know!
If it is listed in the paperwork, does that mean they charged you for something you did not want, like VIN etching on the windows? Undercoating?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the function "impossible for anyone without a valid key to drive the car" already met by your keyfob? How could anyone without a valid key drive your car?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
That's not it, the Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System is built in to the car

Again, maybe something the dealer installed? Tracker? Anti theft?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
It's a do nothin button!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
Yes, that's it, a dealer installed item meant for the lot. For an extra fee, they will throw it in. Only thing is, it isn't meant to work every day for years. I actually had a similar product thrown in on my 1995 Grand Prix. It did have a removable "key" you installed to start the car, otherwise it didn't even crank. Worked great for 21 years. I did have someone tell me at one point it wasn't meant for continuous use. Guess I got lucky. A Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts