Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While wiping down my 09 R/T today, the setting sun hit the roof just right and I spotted a series of perviously unnoticed shallow dents in the roof. My R/T has never spent a night outside of the garage and has never been washed by anyone but me. On each side of the sunroof there is a shallow crease that extends towards the respective side edge of the roof. Then on the leading edge of the roof (in front of the sun roof) there are 3 or four shallow divots (kind of like large cellulite). We have recently got cold weather down here in Texas. I have absolutely no explanation for what I am seeing. I'm sick about it. I take really good care of my R/T and I'm careful where I park it. I have discounted vandalism... because it would be the lamest vandalism ever. There is no paint damage. Could this be something that the car is doing to itself. Theories? Signed: Mortified and stupified!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
dents

could it have happened while being jacked up and maybe twisted the car enough to stretch the metal ? got any pics its kinda hard to guess at it but I know its gotta suck. it makes me sick to find a rock chip

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sounds like maybe the cold weather has done something with the sunroof mounting?? I'd take it to the dealer and get his opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try...

My R/T is in white and I just don't think anything will show up in pictures. The damage can be difficult to see unless light is hitting it right. I know this must have happened in the past few days. I'm always wiping my car down, and I have never seen this before. Still interested in other theories.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've noticed a couple of shallow dents above the passenger side rear window. The dents are at the curve of the roof down to the window.

I attribute it to factory damage. The paint at the dents is perfect (as perfect as Brampton can be, I guess). I only have this issue in one spot, not near the sunroof like yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll tell you if a wanna buy Challenger fan see's all these posts there gonna jump ship to the Camaro. Between dash boards and now roof dents and rocker panels. I'm hoping I didn't make a 35k mistake!! Car still looks the best of the 3 though. I have 600 miles on mine and am now getting paranoid checking it weekly for these issues!!

·
Super Moderator
13,946 Posts
I don't know what causing your roof dents but I have a word to the wise. The sheet metal on these cars is very thin. You can easily cause roof dents while leaning on your roof with your elbows while waxing it. Be careful!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine came from the factory with two similar dents. I didn't see them until the first time I waxed it. There seems to be no ryme or reason to their location. I didn't do anything about them. It doesn't sound like your situation is the same as mine. I think I posted something about it at the time and someone said that it looked like something that happened during the manufacture of the sun roof. They look like small hail dents. Like I said, I'm the only person in the world to have noticed them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Factory fit and finish. I have two dents under my mirrors on my door. Look down the side of you car in the right light and you will see lots of stuff.

·
Registered
710 Posts
About two weeks after I had my car I noticed a couple of dents on the drivers side near the sunroof in the section between the roof molding and side window glass. You had to be at the right angle to see them but once you knew they were there your eyes were drawn to them. It almost looked like somebody gave the car a couple of karate chops. The metal is very thin on these cars breathe gently.

·
Registered
373 Posts
interesting. I have an 09R/T with a sunroof as well. I started noticing small things like this after owning mine for a while. I have three or four, and even when I point them out to people they have to look hard to even find them. I thought until this post that is was a hail storm I drove through on my way to the midwest last year. I even tried to use dry ice to remove them with no success. Now that I know it is rather common I feel a bit more at ease.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Acorns? Seriously?

I have a tree above my driveway that is producing and dropping acorns. I have left my Challenger in the driveway for short periods of time. Could an acorn really cause a dent???

Monday I having some PDR done for about $100 from one of the best shops in town. Can't live with those dents! Still interested in other theories! Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TO HEMI R/T: Yes!

(Shallow) Karate chops is how I described the sunroof dents to my wife.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have a tree above my driveway that is producing and dropping acorns. I have left my Challenger in the driveway for short periods of time. Could an acorn really cause a dent???

Monday I having some PDR done for about $100 from one of the best shops in town. Can't live with those dents! Still interested in other theories! Thanks!
happenned to me and I saw it happen

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I feel for ya. Nobody wants a car with imperfections. I was just sick when I backed into the side of my garage jamb. So, now it is just a car, a daily driver and in time, the road will win and it will be just a car. I remember my first wax job. I thought I was going to put my hand right through the roof. Can't lean on the roof at all or it will buckle.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
it is amazing how the metal on this car feels like the flimsy metal they use for home HVAC. With the miles I pile on the car I wonder how it will be in 2 years.
Still love the damn thing.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts