Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so my wife’s 2010 Challenger R/T (5.7L) has had this freakin annoying coolant leak that I cannot find. I’ve changed all both main hoses, the radiator and the water pump. I have a new coolant reservoir waiting on the sidelines.
she did hit a concrete base for a light pole a few years ago which is why I changed the radiator as a proactive measure.
I just can’t seem to locate where the leak is coming from. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,158 Posts
Given the fact your car is 10 years old, some of the stuff you changed is justifiable based on age alone.

In a nutshell......I’d probably have a cooling system pressure test (with dye) performed before I tossed any more parts at it....

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hey all, so my wife’s 2010 Challenger R/T (5.7L) has had this freakin annoying coolant leak that I cannot find. I’ve changed all both main hoses, the radiator and the water pump. I have a new coolant reservoir waiting on the sidelines.
she did hit a concrete base for a light pole a few years ago which is why I changed the radiator as a proactive measure.
I just can’t seem to locate where the leak is coming from. Anyone else have this issue?
Had a low coolant level problem with no signs of a leak. Turned out the cap was leaking. If I shut off the engine with the coolant hot hot enough the radiator fans were running -- they came on at 212F -- heat soak would raise the coolant temperature and pressure. This would force water vapor out the cap. In around a month's time the level would be low enough to trigger the low coolant level warning.

One time I opened the trunk lid -- where the bay to access the coolant was located -- and noticed water condensation under the lid. Long story short I topped up the tank with distilled water. Made sure the cap was on tight and drove the car around until the radiator fans were running.

In my drive way I raised RPMs until the fans came on then shut off the engine and placed a foil tent over the coolant access point and the cap. After a few minutes there was condensation under the foil.

I replaced the cap and the low coolant level problem went away.

My advice in a suspected coolant leak but no clear sign of where it is leaking is to do a hot coolant pressure test.

Top up the coolant level with distilled water. Do not over fill but you want the level pretty darn full.

Turn off the A/C. Drive the car around town until the coolant is hot enough to cause the radiator fan to come on. With my Hellcat this occurs at 217F.

Go home. In your driveway raise RPMs to 1K and hold until the radiator fan comes on. Turn off the engine. The heat load of the engine will raise the temperature and pressure of the coolant. If there is a leak you'll almost certainly know it and know where it is as the hot coolant under pressure will leak.

I did this test with one car and the coolant reservoir -- a plastic tank -- gushed hot coolant through a split in the mold seam along the bottom of the tank. Under most operating conditions the coolant did not get hot enough or under enough pressure to cause this tank to leak in an obvious way. But one the tech got it out of the car it was clear the plastic tank had been leaking a while.

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
also check where the coolant pipes go into the water pump and the front timing cover - those are sealed by o-rings.

the other thing would be the heater hoses (aka: "fallopian tubes" my mechanic friends call these) they have various t-fittings and join into the coolant reservoir

1 - 4 of 4 Posts