Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read on here about someone having a ticking sound that eventually his engine blew up recently, just couldnt find the thread(NOT THE HEMI TICK EITHER, I AM AWARE ABOUT THAT SOUND, HAVE IT ON MY 2007 6.1 CHARGER AND NOW MY 2010 CHALLENGER) but like a bad rocker arm or something? well I dont know what a bad rocker arm sounds like, lol, so I wonder if anybody can help with this, my car has 8,560 miles on it and just yesterday when I turned it on cold, I got like a buzzing or unusual ticking sound from engine, when I stopped at the light you can hear it pretty good, when I put it on neutral it goes away, then you put it in drive and you here it again, but only when the car is cold, once the car warms up, it is gone. Now I just put front and rear sways on and got under the car to check if eberything was tight, just because it started ater I put the sways on, but that may be just a coincidence. And just this morning I tuned the car on again and there it was again, but within 10 minutes of the car being on and once warmed up, it is nowhere to be heard again. drove the car for about 100 miles today and never heard it again other then when you first start it in the morning or anytime when its cold. something I should worry about? or worth taking to the dealer. If I take it to the dealer it will have to sit overnight so they can start it and hear it when its cold, because it wont do it when I get there as the car will be hot by then.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and sorry for the mis spelling I am at work and have to type fast and look over my shoulder, type and post and submit quick, so I dont get in trouble! lol, working hard!
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Sounds like a loose exhaust bolt/clamp/joint if it's buzzing under load and only when cold. Just a wild guess on my part. See if it's louder when the hood is up - then its manifold gasket... or louder under the car, then it's something beyond the cats and in the pipes reaching back. Once the pipes heat up it might be sealing a very small leak somewhere.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ROBO,
i think you nailed it right on! Now that I remember when I did the rear sway and dropped the rear craddle, I had to only release the rear muffler hooks to lower the exhaust, and when I drooped the exhaust down I remember I did stress the exhaust a little too much when I accidently dropped a sway bar bolt somewhere in the craddle and Had to push down the craddle and exhaust down more when I went to look for it, I pulled and stressed it maybe too much, from cats to muffler connection, because it only started right after I put the sways on. I will check it out this weekend. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so the mystery sound continues and it has gotten louder over the last few days. I check the exhaust retightened everything and still there. I want to say it is coming from the brakes or front master cylinder, reason being is that now when I have the car on and in park and i step on the brake and release it, I get a clunk sound when the pedal goes back to normal postion, so if I press and release it, it makes a clunking sound, then only when I am on drive and I am lightley pressing the brakes when I first start to move at like 5 mph I hear a vibrating sound when I engage the brakes lightly, once I release the brakes, the sound is gone, when I am coming to a stop and I come to a stop at a light and I am holding the brakes, I start to get a vibrating sound. If I give it gas while I am still with the brakes applied, it starts to vibrate louder, but eventually as the rpms rise it goes away. so like I said this is only when I come to a stop and the brakes are applied. I thought it was only when cold, thats why exhaust leak made sense, but now that I know its not the exhaust, i dont have a clue, anybody?:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well at least now you can replicate the sound...
Just head to your dealer and have him fix it under waranty.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts