Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the Nag trans has been freshened up a little to handle the more HP and TQ the new 392 is putting out. Not like it really needs it for 470 470 but I wonder sometimes. My Nag is still working perfect with over 500 hp and tq at the crank.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The Nag1 auto has not been upgraded from what I have heard. However, there are rumors saying it has. We will see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This 5 spd Mercedes tranny that's in the Dodge and Chrysler hemi cars is the same one behind MB's twin turbo V12 AMG engines. Which crank out something around 700lb-ft. Just google CL65 or SL65

No need to worry about strengthening the MB 5 spd auto.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This 5 spd Mercedes tranny that's in the Dodge and Chrysler hemi cars is the same one behind MB's twin turbo V12 AMG engines. Which crank out something around 700lb-ft. Just google CL65 or SL65

Ehhh, not exactly. The Chrysler NAG cant hold as much power as the Merc version. A little over 500hp and 500tq TO THE WHEELS is where problems start to happen with our NAG couterpart. There are major differances in both the trans. The case is one of the major ones. The chrysler case SUCKS compared to the Merc version.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

Ehhh, not exactly. The Chrysler NAG cant hold as much power as the Merc version. A little over 500hp and 500tq TO THE WHEELS is where problems start to happen with our NAG couterpart. There are major differances in both the trans. The case is one of the major ones. The chrysler case SUCKS compared to the Merc version.
There 2 different versions. The a580 which is what we have and is rated to 580nM and the a722 which is used in the v12 mercedes which is rated at 722nM.

With the blue top solenoids, the 580 does fine at 600-650hp. The blue top solenoids are standard in the 722 btw.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
There 2 different versions. The a580 which is what we have and is rated to 580nM and the a722 which is used in the v12 mercedes which is rated at 722nM.

With the blue top solenoids, the 580 does fine at 600-650hp. The blue top solenoids are standard in the 722 btw.
So would the blue top solenoids also help with increasing the torque rating and longevity of the transmission?

·
Banned
804 Posts
The only difference in the case is the bellhousing, which is why some HD Mercedes pieces are used in the beefed up Nag1's.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I'm hoping the soon-to-arrive 8 speed A/T will bolt in as an easy replacement, and be built to handle 500+ HP. That'd be an replace I'd go for.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
So would the blue top solenoids also help with increasing the torque rating and longevity of the transmission?
absolutely. It will firm up the shifts dramatically and prolong the life of your tranny. I recomend them in any car aproaching 500rwhp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts