Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Excuse for my English, but i'm a french Canadian.

I have a Challenger R/T Classic 2013 with an automatic 5-speeds transmission (NAG1). I have a weird problem the morning after a cold night (above -10 degree Celsius).

I know that the transmission have a cold temperature protection, but I think that my problem is not this protection. I can reproduce the problem with an exact sequence. The transmission oil level was already check by my Dodge dealer. There is no check engine light and no update for the PCM.

Here is the problem:

When I start the car the morning to exit my driveway, I have no problem whatever the temperature. I put the car on DRIVE and when I release the brake, the car start to run normally. I run about 15-20 seconds and I stop to a red light for about 20-30 seconds. At this moment, the problem start! When I release the brake, the car do not move (normally for an automatic transmission, the car start to move without pressing on gas pedal), I need to push the gas pedal and the RPM move to 2000 rpm and the car move a very little bit only, it’s not normal. I continue to push the gas pedal and the rpm continue to 3000 rpm and the car move slowly. (The sound and the feeling is a slip transmission, but Dodge tell me if the transmission slip, the check engine light turn ON). After about 15-20 seconds the car move, the transmission start to run normally. The problem doesn’t reappear except if the car is stop for many hours in cold temperature (about 7 hours).

I have buy the car in July and the problem have started when the cold night was start in Quebec (Canada).

If I start the morning and I don’t stop to the red light, the transmission don’t have the problem. To have the problem I need to run a few seconds and to stop a few seconds, a STOP is not long enough to have the problem. If the temperature is higher than -10 degree Celsius, I have not remark the problem.

I would like to know if the problem is normal or not. For the dealer check the car, I need to give the car to my dealer for the night (for a cold night).

Tank you,
Steve

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,988 Posts
Not normal at all. You have a problem and need to get it diagnosed as soon as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure what is going on here, but there is a lot of info on how the NAG trans works and its cold temp behaviour around here and on the net you can find if you dig.

There is one thing you could try and report back, and that is when you stop at that first red light, which seems to be the trigger for this, put the trans in N while you wait.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
No CEL and it goes away as the car warms up right? I think it's normal and that you're just experiencing a cold transmission. I'm in SoCal where it doesn't get nearly as cold as in Canada, and my Charger used to do it on winter mornings: the first couple of stops it felt like it didn't want to shift. My Challenger is garaged so it does get cold overnight, but when I leave from work on cold days it takes a few minutes for the transmission to respond normally. Your case seems extreme, but your temps probably are too. Make sure you warm the car up and you take it easy driving for a mile or even two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what is going on here, but there is a lot of info on how the NAG trans works and its cold temp behaviour around here and on the net you can find if you dig.

There is one thing you could try and report back, and that is when you stop at that first red light, which seems to be the trigger for this, put the trans in N while you wait.
I Will try to put the transmission to N the next morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No CEL and it goes away as the car warms up right? I think it's normal and that you're just experiencing a cold transmission. I'm in SoCal where it doesn't get nearly as cold as in Canada, and my Charger used to do it on winter mornings: the first couple of stops it felt like it didn't want to shift. My Challenger is garaged so it does get cold overnight, but when I leave from work on cold days it takes a few minutes for the transmission to respond normally. Your case seems extreme, but your temps probably are too. Make sure you warm the car up and you take it easy driving for a mile or even two.
I have a friend that is mechanical at a dodge dealer and have seen my problem and told me that is not the cold protection.
The cold protection is to delay the shift and higher rpm before the shift. The protection do not stop the car to move normally.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I Will try to put the transmission to N the next morning.
Yep, do that^^^^ and you might gently rev the engine while waiting for the light, no more than a 1000 rpms though. Sure sounds like cold fluid is the issue, you just need to get it moving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a friend that is mechanical at a dodge dealer and have seen my problem and told me that is not the cold protection.
The cold protection is to delay the shift and higher rpm before the shift. The protection do not stop the car to move normally.
Indeed, cold protection is not supposed to do that. But first, let's try the shift into N when waiting at lights thing until the tranny warms up. At least that'll give you an idea of what's going on, but I agree like some others said, this will have to be troubleshooted by a shop/dealer sooner or later.

·
Super Moderator
16,092 Posts
It sounds like yours is not shifting back down to 1st at a stop.

There are multiple "limp" modes and yours might be sticking in 3rd.

Another member here this forum had an issue where his was not downshifting and remaining in a higher gear if he used the paddle shifter levers.

In the end, the valve body (aka: conductor plate) was replaced and resolved the problem.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I would venture to guess it's the low sprag slipping, it was a common problem on the earlier nags but it looks like its still happening... It's an easy fix, pull the trans, tear it down, replace the sprag as a unit then go through the rest of the trans, clean it, reassemble it, stuff it back in, done... It's common on Honda 5 speed automatic transaxles here's one I was doing a while back. Just remember to have fun with transmissions

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,988 Posts
-10c is about 15f. That is not very cold and he has to rev the car to 3000 rpm to move. This is not normal and even though it clears up after a period of time he has a problem that I believe can only get worse.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Is there snow on the ground at this stop sign? Maybe you have the stereo cranked up so loud, you can't hear the tires spinning in the snow.

:scatter:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have experienced this myself, at least twice, both times in sub-30 degree temps.
It happens if I have to stop at a light after driving for a tenth of a mile. It only happens the once on a start.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Trimec
Sure looks different than the last trans I rebuilt 1980ish turbo 350 lol
LOL, yeah the old bread and butter 350, remember when they went to lock up converters, that was our biggest problem back then...now I get multitronic AWD Audi's set on my bench for a tear down and rebuild...fun fun fun

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's true that -10c and -15c is not very cold. It's why I would liek to be sure that is a real problem. When I make my test, the road is clean, no spin, no traction light and no sound in the car.

I have talk to my dealer and the next week, I have scheduled a road test. The Challenger stay the night before at the dealer to reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like maybe a low fluid condition and it isn't moving till the pump fills up the torque converter? I have seen leaking trans adapter plugs cause this on the nag trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like maybe a low fluid condition and it isn't moving till the pump fills up the torque converter? I have seen leaking trans adapter plugs cause this on the nag trans.
No leak and fluid transmission are correct, the dealer has check this week.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I didn't really think about the F and C conversion. My car sat out all day long with the temp rising from -24F to -12F (-25C) by 5:00pm. The tranny worked fine. You have an issue with the valve body as Hal H mentioned earlier. There have been several people that have had to have it replaced so I wouldn't say it's not too unusual (it happens). Hopefully it'll be good and cold when you leave it with the dealer and they just make the right call. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts