Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I learned the hard way that I should back into any parking spot with a curb or parking block. This incident was so bad that I had to jack the car up to lift the chin spoiler out of a hole in the parking block. I'll be getting a new chin spoiler soon. Unfortunately the damage was done by then, because my first attempt at backing up before realizing how stuck that piece of the chin spoiler was ended up pulling the front bumper inward. It went further inward than the clips that attach the bumper to the fender, thus breaking said clips. I was able to pull it back out to place, which left a scratch on both sides from having to be pulled back past the piece. 1) Can I replace these clips, or am I so screwed that I have to get a new front bumper? Looking at the piece I don't see how you would even put another on, but it's worth an ask. 2) If they are replaceable, what are they called and where can I get them for the best price?
I posted pictures of both sides of the small scratches this incident left so everyone can get a better idea of what I'm talking about, those scratches show exactly where the piece I'm talking about is located inside the bumper/fender connection. I believe the piece is directly apart of the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
No clips between the bumper cover and the fender. There's a L shape brakes about 10" that gets screwed to the fender and the bumper cover gets pushed into it to hold the cover. You might be able to push the bumper back into it's place if the L shape bracket is not broken and/or if the tabs on the bumper cover are still in one piece. The tabs are part of the bumper cover. I'd first try to push it back into it's place. Don't be afraid to use some force. You'll hear a click or a tapping sound. If the L brackets are broken then they can be replaced and are sold separately. Each is about $25. If the bumper tabs are broken/torn then you'll need a new bumper cover.

·
Registered
865 Posts
First of all it's a fascia, not a bumper. Visit a good body shop & they will have a collision book that will show everything, or go to your Dodge dealer. If the fascia needs repainting or repairs, a good body shop will be able to take care of you for less than a Mopar dealer typically. I am lucky to have a good quality body shop near me that has taken care of me on numerous occasions. Yes - the front air dams on these challengers are VERY low to the ground, & you have to be extremely careful to not pull up too close to parking curbs! Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Name for this *fascia clip/piece? Can it be replaced?

Definitely new to this, thanks for the correction! Otherwise I would've gone around everywhere using the wrong term. My uncle actually owns a body shop, he's supposed to do the body work on the fascia soon to fix up the little scratches, I wanted the broken piece replaced first so that when he puts the fascia back on after the work is done he can go ahead and make the switch on that piece as well. I'm fairly certain wasp's response is the piece I'm needing so I'll be looking into it and hopefully can get everything good as new!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No clips between the bumper cover and the fender. There's a L shape brakes about 10" that gets screwed to the fender and the bumper cover gets pushed into it to hold the cover. You might be able to push the bumper back into it's place if the L shape bracket is not broken and/or if the tabs on the bumper cover are still in one piece. The tabs are part of the bumper cover. I'd first try to push it back into it's place. Don't be afraid to use some force. You'll hear a click or a tapping sound. If the L brackets are broken then they can be replaced and are sold separately. Each is about $25. If the bumper tabs are broken/torn then you'll need a new bumper cover.

Thanks for the quick response, wasp! The brackets are definitely broken if I remember correctly, however I'm not sure about the bumper tabs. And I guess I won't really know until I take it to the body shop and they remove the bumper. If I was to look for the piece to purchase what would I call it? Or perhaps should a body shop know what it's called?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
This is why many install front facing cameras as many others have also done this to their cars. I'd think just the plastic clip either broke or let the urethane slip out and that the fascia is still reusable.
Someone told me that they took theirs off to do a mod behind it and after reinstalling it, it occasionally came undone so he replaced the clips and was fine after so you may want to only take it apart once and be done with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
Here is what those tabs look like on a 2017 Challenger front fascia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts