Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my wife and daughter out of town for the weekend, I was able to dedicate a lot of time to my exterior spring cleaning on the Challenger.

A few months ago I had bought a 2 pack Nanoskin AutoScrub, the medium and fine. I tried the medium on my driver's door and the fine on the top of the left front fender and one a small bit of my stripes.

I thought things were great until I caught the top of the fender in the right light; it showed definite marks in the clear. Also the stripe was shinier than it should be where I used the AutoScrub.

I'm disappointed because the AutoScrub was so much easier to use than clay, but it would require extra buffing effort to correct the effect on the clearcoat.

So, for me, still no substitute for a good clay bar. :(

Reactions: IDMTfirefighter

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same here had one used tons of lubrication and still got marring in the clear.
So I stick to clay bar for now.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you guys want an easy way to clay get a Gilmore foam gun and use that as the lube after you wash it. I can clay my entire car in about 15 min using the thick suds as the lube. Then wash again and you're done, well then comes the buffing...waxing..etc. but it really works well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have zero issues claying the question was in reference to using Autoscrub, and the amount of marring it does to the clear as compared to traditional clay bar.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My initial spring cleanup includes a really intense clay bar treatment to remove a winter's worth of abuse. This past Saturday I started at 4PM with a wash/dry and ended at 12:30 AM when I finished with the clay bar. Polish and wax happened the next morning and into the afternoon.

I like your idea about the foam but that would only work on a subsequent clay session during the summer and fall.

I was was really hoping that the AutoScrub would save me time and money, but not at the expense of my clear coat.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Agreed.

My initial spring cleanup includes a really intense clay bar treatment to remove a winter's worth of abuse. This past Saturday I started at 4PM with a wash/dry and ended at 12:30 AM when I finished with the clay bar. Polish and wax happened the next morning and into the afternoon.

I like your idea about the foam but that would only work on a subsequent clay session during the summer and fall.

I was was really hoping that the AutoScrub would save me time and money, but not at the expense of my clear coat.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Marred ??? what did you use for lube and did you prep Nano skin per directions ?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used Meguiars Detailer for lube. Followed all instructions. The clearcoat showed signs of being worn.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its not an uncommon result with any of the decontamination media that are so popular right now.

There is a definite speed advantage to them, but with the risk of some marring as a trade off. Not a big deal if you plan to do paint correction anyways - but if you're just trying to decon a perfect or near-perfect finish a fine grade traditional clay bar is still the best bet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Used the fine with plenty of lube after first washing and rinsing. Was very pleased with the results. Sorry to hear your experience was not the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I clayed my whole car in 1-1/2 hours. It was much easier than I expected, (my paint was in pretty good shape.) I used a 20/80 mix of car wash soap/water as lube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts