Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of hearing about how big and boaty the Challenger is, now that there is a wide body version, I see more and more references to the narrow body Challenger. Standard body, I could see, but it's not like Mopar shrunk the original in any way. Does anyone else find this odd?
Maybe the next time there is a thread about making the Challenger smaller and lighter, we could just point out they already make a narrow body version?

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
Proves a point on how people think.

"The Challenger is too big, too fat, and has a large rear end. It needs to shed some weight. Oh cool, a wide body Challeger is now available. This car is awesone."

All above said in one breath. Lmao

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
EH, people are gonna say what they're gonna say. No point getting your panties in a bunch over it.

The Dealers and Factory will call 'em out as "Challenger" and "Wide Body Challenger"

I don't get upset over the "narrow body" description. It's just a description and if it's a negative opinion in the mind of the guy who honestly LIKES the look of the Wide Body treatment........that's OK.

I think are enough people out there like me with the opposing opinion ........

Ultimately I see the two choices as "Challenger" and "Challenger with tack on pieces"

I like the effort to give the car more grip and rubber on the road but the execution SCREAMS Cheap and poorly done to me. I hate the cluttered look that just about ruins a great looking car. I get why Chrysler did it this way....... it was the cheaper way to go vs a complete make over of the body itself.

The problem I have with it? It looks CHEAP and cluttered.

I see 'em and all I can think of is my old Ford Ranger Pick up with very similar flare installation and look.

·
Registered
168 Posts
After years of hearing about how big and boaty the Challenger is, now that there is a wide body version, I see more and more references to the narrow body Challenger. Standard body, I could see, but it's not like Mopar shrunk the original in any way. Does anyone else find this odd?
Maybe the next time there is a thread about making the Challenger smaller and lighter, we could just point out they already make a narrow body version?
Narrow doesn't imply it's smaller or lighter. The cars are still all very much a two ton land yatch.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EH, people are gonna say what they're gonna say. No point getting your panties in a bunch over it.

The Dealers and Factory will call 'em out as "Challenger" and "Wide Body Challenger"

I don't get upset over the "narrow body" description. It's just a description and if it's a negative opinion in the mind of the guy who honestly LIKES the look of the Wide Body treatment........that's OK.

I think are enough people out there like me with the opposing opinion ........

Ultimately I see the two choices as "Challenger" and "Challenger with tack on pieces"

I like the effort to give the car more grip and rubber on the road but the execution SCREAMS Cheap and poorly done to me. I hate the cluttered look that just about ruins a great looking car. I get why Chrysler did it this way....... it was the cheaper way to go vs a complete make over of the body itself.

The problem I have with it? It looks CHEAP and cluttered.

I see 'em and all I can think of is my old Ford Ranger Pick up with very similar flare installation and look.

View attachment 977557
That must be your panties you feel riding up, for my part I just find it ironic and a bit silly the Challenger was being called "narrow", it made me chuckle. You seem to have a much more visceral reaction to the WB version itself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So, the option costs 6k.
And I believe(this is wide open for correction) if you order a Scat or better you get everything that comes with the wide body option other than the flairs, wheels, and tires.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Aesthetics or performance?
I currently own the wide one and when I sell it and order another it is going to be a tough decision.
I appreciate the looks of the flairs but maybe not 6k worth.
I am not crazy about the Devil's rim job wheels I prefer the 5 spoke and think I could buy a REAL nice set for under 4k and that leaves a little money for mud flaps which you are gonna need for 11" tires wide or narrow body.
This kind of falls into the sex/pizza/bacon discussion.
All good, but some that I prefer over others and for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
805 Posts
So, the option costs 6k.
And I believe(this is wide open for correction) if you order a Scat or better you get everything that comes with the wide body option other than the flairs, wheels, and tires.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Aesthetics or performance?
I currently own the wide one and when I sell it and order another it is going to be a tough decision.
I appreciate the looks of the flairs but maybe not 6k worth.
I am not crazy about the Devil's rim job wheels I prefer the 5 spoke and think I could buy a REAL nice set for under 4k and that leaves a little money for mud flaps which you are gonna need for 11" tires wide or narrow body.
This kind of falls into the sex/pizza/bacon discussion.
All good, but some that I prefer over others and for a variety of reasons.
If you order a base Scat Pack, you will be missing the 6 piston Brembo front brakes (which are awesome) the 20x11 forged rims and 305 series tires . Also the bigger sway bars and higher spring rates will be gone. Add to that the missing adaptive damping suspension then finally the flares.
The ability to run 315s square on stock Devils 11 inch wide rims is also something to consider when purchasing the "widebody".
With custom (wider) rims, the widebody can accommodate 335's on the rear.

Trying to upgrade a base "narrow" body car (like for like) for the same $6,000 is futile. It cant be done.

With that said, the original "narrow" body car does have a classic/retro look that the widebody version does not have.

Equipped with the Dynamics package, the narrow body is still quite formidable, and can easily run 285s square on the Dynamics factory 9.5 wide rims.
Of course a wider aftermarket tire and rim combo (11 inch wide rims w/315's seem to be about the practical limit) can be fit on the rear, with minimal modifications.

Both Wide and Narrow bodys, look good to me.

IMHO, the widebody package is worth the extra coin.
The dynamics package, available on the narrow body, is a real bargain.

Cant lose with either one.

Reactions: Decay

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you order a base Scat Pack, you will be missing the 6 piston Brembo front brakes (which are awesome) the 20x11 forged rims and 305 series tires . Also the bigger sway bars and higher spring rates will be gone. Add to that the missing adaptive damping suspension then finally the flares.
The ability to run 315s square on stock Devils 11 inch wide rims is also something to consider when purchasing the "widebody".

Trying to upgrade a base "narrow" body car (like for like) for the same $6,000 is futile. It cant be done.

With that said, the original "narrow" body car does have a classic/retro look that the widebody version does not have.

Equipped with the Dynamics package, the narrow body is still quite formidable, and can easily run 285s square on the Dynamics factory 9.5 wide rims.
Of course a wider aftermarket tire and rim combo (11 inch wide rims w/315's seem to be about the practical limit) can be fit on the rear, with minimal modifications.

Even though I am ordering a 2020 Hellcat all the suspension/brakes upgrade are very useful options in my opinion.
I am very happy with my wide body Scat and think for some strange reason that I need a supercharged car.
For a 4400 pound car my wide body scat is an awesome performer.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts

Agree pretty much with what you're saying.

I do believe however, if a person is going to go with a "narrow" body SP, and has zero plans on tracking the car, the 6 piston brakes really aren't needed.

Yes the package is a good deal, but it will have a considerably higher cost of ownership with those rotors.

I haven't wished in 27k miles that I had the bigger brakes. The 4 piston Brembos are way more than adequate.

That said, the package is a deal, just higher maintenance cost, and more dusting. ( just part of performance brakes).

And yes, $6k is a good deal for what the wide body option offers.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
583 Posts

All depends on your intended use of the car. If you want to build or drive a 1/4 mile car or a road course car.
If your intentions are fast 1/4’s and roll ons ;) then you go for the standard body. Wheels and tires are subjective as most people like to get their own , also the 9.5” wheels are forged as well so not too much love lost there. Spring rates are better for a launch , and the 4pot Brembos are lighter , cheaper maintenance, and able to run an 18” skinny if desired.
If your intentions are carving canyons and autox , then the widebody fits for all the opposite reasons , better lateral traction , less brake fade , etc.
For me , I’m a charger guy , but I prefer the standard body to the new widebody on both platforms. TETO indeed , you can’t lose with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
All depends on your intended use of the car.
That's it in a nutshell.

For 1/4 or 1/8 mile dragging, a 1320 or base SP makes more sense than a SPWB or a SP w/Dynamics.

For auto x, roadcourse, or even very aggressive corner carving, a SPWB or SP w/Dynamics makes more sense than a 1320, and to a lesser extent a base SP.

For guys who want to run for all out top speed, a Hellcat or Redeye makes more sense than anything else in the line up. (Actually, a Widebody Hellcat/ Redeye is pretty friggin' great at everything!)

Lucky for us, Mother Mopar offers a model for each intended use. Also model's for different budgets.

IMHO, the base SP is a high performance "jack of all trades" The car does everything well.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Some of us don't like the look of the widebody. But remember, it exists as a result of years of complaints about not enough rubber. We asked for it, we don't want it to be priced out of our reach either.

As much as I'd love to see a more "Integrated" look, with wider fenders that flow with the body lines, etc. We all know that would be a lot more expensive.

Here's hoping with the next redesign, they accommodate for a wider tire in the base car's body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts