Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what happens whenever I use the navigation system/GPS. As soon as I press the option to begin the route, the voice announcing directions comes on crazy LOUD and I have to quickly manually crank the volume down using the volume knob.

I read everything in the user guide and have already set the Nav volume level in the options menu via the touchscreen. When I go in to check the setting, it always shows that the Nav volume had been set to a low level. So I have no idea why it continues to blow out my eardrums each time it starts. A few of my passengers have nearly jumped out of their skin whenever the directions begin.

I scoured the guide again to see if there is a different place to set volume, but other than that one menu and the manual volume crank knob, I'm not seeing anything else. Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
In 2016, as soon as the NAV voice starts to speak, you can adjust volume with the radio volume knob. So 2017 is different?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In 2016, as soon as the NAV voice starts to speak, you can adjust volume with the radio volume knob. So 2017 is different?

Yes, 2017 is the same. The volume can be turned down as soon as the voice starts to speak, but the problem is the voice comes out booming each time. It just about makes me deaf each time as I scramble to turn it down. I definitely have it programmed in the menu to a lower volume, so why it keeps speaking so loud in the beginning is beyond me. This didn't happen in my 2014!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes, 2017 is the same. The volume can be turned down as soon as the voice starts to speak, but the problem is the voice comes out booming each time. It just about makes me deaf each time as I scramble to turn it down. I definitely have it programmed in the menu to a lower volume, so why it keeps speaking so loud in the beginning is beyond me. This didn't happen in my 2014!

Sounds like you have done what you can do to lower the volume. If you turn it down while the NAV voice is still speaking it is supposed to stay at that volume. My 2016 with the 8.4 screen works that way. You have also went into the Nav settings and adjusted it there which would have been the second thing to try. Unless someone on this forum knows how to get to a hidden service menu somewhere it's time to take it in to the dealer for warranty work. The only other thing I would know to try is to go into the Nav settings and turn the Nav voice off, use the Nav a while and then turn the voice back on and see if that resets it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have done what you can do to lower the volume. If you turn it down while the NAV voice is still speaking it is supposed to stay at that volume. My 2016 with the 8.4 screen works that way. You have also went into the Nav settings and adjusted it there which would have been the second thing to try. Unless someone on this forum knows how to get to a hidden service menu somewhere it's time to take it in to the dealer for warranty work. The only other thing I would know to try is to go into the Nav settings and turn the Nav voice off, use the Nav a while and then turn the voice back on and see if that resets it.

This is a very good idea, thanks. I'm going to try to shut the voice off completely and leave it off for a good while as I navigate. Then I'll try turning the voice back on to a low volume and see if it stays at the low level or starts blaring again. Will report back with findings.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,642 Posts
That sounds like a problem that would make me go nuts. I run mine with the voice prompts off. It annoys the hell out of me to be told 3x to turn right coming up. When I need to rely on the nav I just read the prompts. Good luck with the fix.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
So if the above mentioned doesn't work for you, I would ask your dealership if there was any software updates for your head unit.

I would be going nuts!! :surprise:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By golly it worked! I shut the voice off, ran the Nav voiceless for a while, re-enabled the voice, changed the Nav volume setting menu to a quiet level 5, shut the Nav off completely (to give it a chance to rest and fully reset itself- haha), turned the system back on, checked to see that the voice volume setting was still set to level 5 and indeed it was. Ran the Nav and the voice was nice and soft. It is now fixed, so no more deafness inducing loud volume when using the Nav. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
By golly it worked! I shut the voice off, ran the Nav voiceless for a while, re-enabled the voice, changed the Nav volume setting menu to a quiet level 5, shut the Nav off completely (to give it a chance to rest and fully reset itself- haha), turned the system back on, checked to see that the voice volume setting was still set to level 5 and indeed it was. Ran the Nav and the voice was nice and soft. It is now fixed, so no more deafness inducing loud volume when using the Nav. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very glad it worked for you. Also glad I could help.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
This is great news!

Glad you won't be going deaf from listening to your NAV anymore. :clap:

Reactions: crackleshackle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts