Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you that need to update your maps, but have been to cheap to do so (like me), there's hope! I received an offer today via email that the update is only $99 with free shipping. I'm going to have to do it because the roads have changed so much since 2016, it's time to update. This is a copy and paste.:

Dodge

UPDATE THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM MAP IN YOUR 2016 DODGE CHALLENGER FOR JUST $99!*
Gregory, whether you're powering up for vacation or powering through traffic, now's the time to make sure that addresses, roads and new points of interest are accurately represented in your vehicle. Update today to save $50 and receive FREE shipping!*
UPDATE NOW

VIN: 2C3CDZDJ0GH288041
uconnect here powered
New release! Don't miss out on this special offer.
You'll never have to worry about power cords, battery life or roaming charges, so you can get wherever you need to go with confidence — and be ready for your next drive.
Update your map today for only $99 and receive FREE shipping.*
UPDATE NOW
Learn more about Uconnect®

©2021 FCA US LLC. All Rights Reserved. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and Uconnect are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC. FIAT is a registered trademark of FCA Group Marketing S.p.A., used under license by FCA US LLC.
*The standard MSRP is $149. Promotional price and free ground shipping offer end July 2, 2021, and are valid only in the U.S. Sales tax may apply and will be added during checkout.
Available for the following vehicles equipped with navigation: Dodge Challenger 2015–2016, Dodge Charger 2015–2016, Dodge Durango 2014–2017 and Dodge Viper 2013–2015, 2017.
If you have trouble accessing the links in this email, you may purchase your map update at fcagroup.navigation.com/dod/cip/em0421.
Vehicle and map images displayed are for illustration purposes only and may vary from your vehicle’s navigation system.
If you no longer wish to receive emails, please unsubscribe.
The services on this site (i.e., your purchase of a product and related fulfillment services) are performed by HERE North America, LLC, 425 W. Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60606 USA.
View this email as a webpage.
Please add [email protected] to your address book or safe senders list.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Never got a notice and on their site..................

·
Registered
623 Posts
What the maps don't automatically get updated from Dodge? With the price increase in the NAV unit, this is another reason I may say the heck with it and not get this option. I'm using the smartphone more and more in my Mustang instead of the built-in NAV. About the only benefits I see are being able to keep your eyes on the road better and the voice prompts.

·
Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
193 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but how much is it normally?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
I got the email as well. The code is for the individual. $149 normally. Even $99 is too much, but they have us thinking it's a deal because it's $50 less, lol

A Guy

Reactions: Al A and 72/340

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IDK if there previously was a shipping charge on top of the $149, but they're emphasizing free shipping too. While I agree $99 isn't exactly cheap, having seriously outdated maps isn't cutting it. My wife has no concept of direction, so it's a question of, the next time she goes out, if I ever want to see her again.:unsure::whistle:

Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
I just use the Waze app on my phone and set my phone in the cup holder.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
869 Posts
What the maps don't automatically get updated from Dodge? With the price increase in the NAV unit, this is another reason I may say the heck with it and not get this option. I'm using the smartphone more and more in my Mustang instead of the built-in NAV. About the only benefits I see are being able to keep your eyes on the road better and the voice prompts.
I use the NAV in my Challenger and in our Durango a lot. It only took one time of having to break out the old-school maps when we got "lost" in our '13 Charger R/T because there was no phone service for me to make having built-in NAV a priority.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I never really thought about the not having phone reception aspect. Makes sense to me, particularly when you're in the middle of nowhere where you're most likely to need directions.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
536 Posts
I use Apple Maps and CarPlay when I need it and that works fantastic. Plus it’s free.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
I'm with you, with google maps and the ability to connect the phone directly into the car system it's simply not worth the money to keep that system updated. There are nice features built into the NAV unit but again for the expense it's just not worth it... IMHO

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
I use built in Nav every time I drive. Even when local, and I have driven it literally a hundred times. I typically keep it muted, but I get a kick out of it tech wise, and like seeing the ETA change. And on a trip, I always use built in for the in dash integration, but typically also use Google Maps on my phone, and if in my newer cars, via Android Auto. Nothing beats it for up to day, lane suggestions, signs to look for... But the in dash integration is best on factory Nav.
Also, as for updates. Sometimes, if you ask enough, and nicely, you can get a free 1 time update. I think the official/unofficial thing is, within 1 year of getting the vehicle, or paying for Nav unlock.
On the 2015 Charger I had with 8.4 non-Nav, I bought the Nav unlock code. This was in 2017 maybe? The maps that were in the car were actually 2013/2014 and literally were missing some bridges north of Pittsburgh! I was able to get a free map update months after I bought the unlock.
I believe that also applies if you buy a new car off the lot that was built a long time ago, especially for hold-over cars.
So check the map data's date, and what the current one for sale is, maybe 6-9 months after you get a new car, you may be able to get a free "catch up" 1 time.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
869 Posts
By the way ... I just spoke with a very nice lady with Here (the company that sells the updates for Dodge) who shared with me that there is a new update coming out July 1, 2021. I think this explains why this version is on sale.

The version in my car (and our Durango) is from 2017 and is Version 9 ... the version currently on sale for $99 is Version 15 so hopefully it's a fairly robust update. Just know that there's another map update being released in less than 3 months.

I never really thought about the not having phone reception aspect. Makes sense to me, particularly when you're in the middle of nowhere where you're most likely to need directions.
Yep. The first time it happened we were cutting through the Ocala National Forest after crossing the St. Johns River at Fort Gates (ferry is still closed due to damage from Hurricane Irma) and heading for Cross Creek. After a few miles my wife realized that the car's position on the Google Map wasn't changing.

The next time it happened was up in the Smoky Mountains when we took off on a "wonder where this road goes" adventure.

Fortunately I'm old enough to know how to read a map.

We are men! We don't need to ask for directions damnit! :rolleyes:
Hell, no, I didn't ask for directions! I AM a man! An that means that I know how to read a map. :)

NAV is just for convenience.

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Well on the fence on this, used it maybe 4 times on the 13 ram ???? The Charger is the FIRST new car that does no have it.................
The BMW has it, the 19 Rebel has it and the SRT 8 has it.

We use phones mostly as stock nav's are not user friendly to us old farts....................

New trick on our Ram, punch in the phone number for your destination, worked the last two times really easy when we bought the Charger.................

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
Also, set you google maps to download offline maps, and make your own custom downloads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts