Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved a letter that says a new map update is available now for $149 and free shipping. I wrote to the customer service people, and this is what I wrote.

"These updates should be free just like when you pay for a new garmin navigation unit which includes free map updates. These units are even cheaper than what your update costs. They also have more options build in and work much better than the OEM navigation systems that are built into are vehicles. Give use the update for free and we'll pay for the shipping. That's fair."

Do you believe that it's fair for us to pay for these updates.
Please comment, give us your opinions. Thank you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just recieved a letter that says a new map update is available now for $149 and free shipping. I wrote to the customer service people, and this is what I wrote.

"These updates should be free just like when you pay for a new garmin navigation unit which includes free map updates. These units are even cheaper than what your update costs. They also have more options build in and work much better than the OEM navigation systems that are built into are vehicles. Give use the update for free and we'll pay for the shipping. That's fair."

Absolutely agree. The factory navigation options are nice but the price of maps isn't worth it. Use Android Auto (or Apple) and your maps are always up to date and you get better traffic service than SiriusXM provides (which is also not free after the trial period).

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Nice sentiment but never going to happen because the dealers won't give up whatever revenue they earn from the updates. They know some people will keep the factory system updated simply because they don't want to deal with aftermarket units. What is the advantage of free updates from the manufacturer/dealer perspective?

I opted to buy the factory system knowing I'd have to pay for updates at some point - as did many other people. Wouldn't it be a bit hypocritical of me to now expect free updates?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
What is the advantage of free updates from the manufacturer/dealer perspective?
Customer satisfaction and loyalty. But that's not some number you can BEEP BOOP into your excel sheet. Instead when they start losing money they wonder what went wrong with the product and their nickle and dime-ing doesn't even seem to enter the equation.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
I love the factory NAV, no regrets at all. Sure the $149 is a rip but no need to update every year. I just did the Uconnect OTA update and don't know if the nav was updated but the the map looks a lot better, haven't run across a missing street yet and the new icon is a red SRT with black stripes!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
My radio was $2000 as an option, updates should be free. I used it only once and software sucks, prefer Garmin.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts

Not that this will make you feel any better, but...

Assuming you have a pre-2015, they will send you 2 CD's. One is a NAV update, and the other is for software updates.

·
Registered
Challenger Scat Pack
35 Posts
Forget the map update right now. How a out uconnect send a free update now to fix the lost sport mode from the fiasco they pushed out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Has anyone done this update? I have a 2012 R/T w/720n and I bought the CDs. The software update, is this the same as what is giving others so many problems having been done over the air? I don't want to cause an issue for myself that I haven't been subjected to with over the air updates.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Forget the map update right now. How a out uconnect send a free update now to fix the lost sport mode from the fiasco they pushed out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I lost a bunch of stuff after the update but pressing the top right corner of the screen to reboot the system brought everything back. YMMV but it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a two year old portable Garmin and it came With lifetime updates. Why they don't do it with our cars after spending big dollars for these features is beyond me?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Has anyone done this update? I have a 2012 R/T w/720n and I bought the CDs. The software update, is this the same as what is giving others so many problems having been done over the air? I don't want to cause an issue for myself that I haven't been subjected to with over the air updates.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul, I just completed the update of my 2014 730N for the first time since purchased new, no problems observed.

For the pre-2015s, the $149 purchase includes two disks--one containing the Uconnect updates and one containing the map updates. Be advised, the Chrysler Uconnect update site (https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/) may not accurately reflect the status of your radio. The website stated my radio was up to date, however upon inserting the update disk I went from version 2.2 to 2.7. Update disks can be purchased from the Chrysler Uconnect update store (Chrysler Group | Home | HERE).

FYI, for those with the 730N (RHR), 2017 update disks are now available.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why not just use Waze. I've used the factory nav once to try it. Took way too long though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Challenger has a bit of nostalgia connected with it. If a new map is 149 bucks, I'll keep going old school.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The Challenger has a bit of nostalgia connected with it. If a new map is 149 bucks, I'll keep going old school.
To each his own, I don't plan to do this every time there is an update, but 5yr old maps can't be very accurate. I like the in dash nav systems convenience. I figure if I can afford a $25K car, I can manage $150 once every 5yrs. :)

Paul

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I have another question about this update, the instructions say to start the car, do I really have to start and run my car for up to 90 minutes? Or will just turning the accessories on do the trick? And does it need to connect to GPS or does it just copy everything it needs from the CD, because GPS signal isn't found in my garage.

And this is the 730N system, not 720 as I mistyped in my original message... doh.

Paul

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Roads don't change that much. I'll re-up in 5 years maybe. That's only $30 a year which is fine with me. I pay a lot more than that for a cloud backup service or Netflix :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have another question about this update, the instructions say to start the car, do I really have to start and run my car for up to 90 minutes? Or will just turning the accessories on do the trick? And does it need to connect to GPS or does it just copy everything it needs from the CD, because GPS signal isn't found in my garage.

And this is the 730N system, not 720 as I mistyped in my original message... doh.

Paul
No need to run the engine, however, the map install alone did take approximately 45 minutes (1 hours for both updates together) and will drain the battery. I elected to connect my battery charger/maintainer to the vehicle during the process instead of idling the engine. FYI, with the ignition switch in ACC or RUN and the engine off the radio will shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity. The radio did shut off one time during the map update but did automatically resume after cycling the ignition switch. The unit does not require GPS signal to update.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
No need to run the engine, however, the map install alone did take approximately 45 minutes (1 hours for both updates together) and will drain the battery. I elected to connect my battery charger/maintainer to the vehicle during the process instead of idling the engine. FYI, with the ignition switch in ACC or RUN and the engine off the radio will shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity. The radio did shut off one time during the map update but did automatically resume after cycling the ignition switch. The unit does not require GPS signal to update.
Thanks so much! I did the update and all went well with the minor exception of the radio shutting down after 30 mins. I decided to just start the car and go for a ride. Once it completed everything came back just fine. :)

Paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts