Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 challenger 5.7 with only kooks long tube headers and exhaust, with a cai. What other modifications are needed before going with forced induction like a procharger?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i would get a drive shaft.. the stock 2 pcs is junk and the carrier bearing will go bad.. mine did when i had a stock 6.1 and just 8lbs.. i built the motor and changed the driveshaft and axles.. i wish i had the tools to change the cradle bushings as wheel hop is not your friend.

also upgrade your fuel pump, i know some say you don't but think about it.. you are going to feel a supercharger with the same size pump that the factory designed for a stock motor. get a pump.. either the arrington drop in ( if you can still get them ) or one from a2speed.

steve white had or has the arrington pumps in stock.

Reactions: Red Rooster 979

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgrading the fuel pump makes sense, however i might be irresponsible and wait for the stock one to go out first. Would putting a larger throttle body and intake manifold net me hp/tq gains since i would be moving more air?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
What level of boost are you targeting?

6lbs does not require much mods.

8lbs you will want to upgrade the primary fuel pump (I am assuming your kit will come with bigger injectors). I upgraded to a 4" one piece drive shaft as the stock 2 piece would flex quite a bit at the guido (sp?) bearing (I have a manual). When I removed the stock unit I noticed the rubber was already cracking/tearing. Upgrading the half shafts is not a bad idea either especially if you are going to go with wider/stickier rear tires. I did not but, if they go I have an extra rear diff in case they grenade the rear when they go. If you have an auto, you might also want to swap to motor mounts for a manual to handle the extra torque.

10lbs requires water/meth injection but forged pistons would be a better route. Some tune for it but I would not as it provides some level of protection.

You might want to upgrade the intake manifold as well, get the new victor (some one is already selling one used on the forum now) or shop around for a 6.1L manifold. A cam will also help feed the beast, but if you have an auto you would have to pull the lifters which means pulling the heads...a lot of work IMO.

I did the 8lb maggie and my biggest problem after the mod is getting traction when I need it, as it is a torque monster at low-mid RPMs. The procharger should be more forgiving as boost does not come on as strong at the lower RPMs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From your explanation, i may just run 6 lbs for now until my bank account recuperates. I would end up moving up to 8 later. Is having the 8 speed auto transmission a downfall?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
From your explanation, i may just run 6 lbs for now until my bank account recuperates. I would end up moving up to 8 later. Is having the 8 speed auto transmission a downfall?
I highly recommend you start with a ~8lb kit (although I think the centri types quote different pressures than the positive disp pumps). Trust me, you will not be satisfied with power of anything below 8lbs (safe amount of boost to run on the 5.7) and will most surely upgrade right away. The auto is not a downfall but the manuals tend to handle more power. If anything, the manuals are slower but I love slamming my own gears.

As for which kit to go with, centrifugal (procharger, vortech) or positive displacement (maggie, KB, whipple) it depends on what you intend to do with the car...make it a racer or a daily driver with some cojones. I went the with positive displacement as I don't intend to race and prefer to have boost available instantly and at low RPMs. Plus I love the look of a roots/screw type blower sitting on top of a motor.

You should reach out to the performance vendors on the forum and get some advice as I am a little biased towards positive displacement superchargers. The key to any forced induction system is the tune so when you do pull the trigger and go supercharger, make sure you go with a shop that knows how to tune Mopars. I would not go with an "off the shelf kit" (i.e. ebay) as you already have headers and most tunes that come with such kits are meant for bone stock cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TBH i also like the look of the old roots superchargers peaking out of the hood. And definitely im currently looking for a good mopar tuner in the Houston area. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i can tell you this. if the pump craps out with the blower on and running.. you won't have to worry about just changing the fuel pump. you will have bigger issues. people tend to want to do the least cost out of the gate and then spend it anyway afterwards because out of necessity or desire. Do yourself a favor and do the stuff now up front.. if you don't have the cash.. wait. i know it is hard but trust me. do it now. or do it later and at a much higher cost.
trust me

i have had my engine out 2 times and spend thousands i didn't want to. not fuel related but because i tried to do things on a budget and didn't do certain things in the order i should have.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Well Steve white motors used to carry Arrington drop in pumps. About as easy as it gets but with Arrington moving a2speed might be another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Red Rooster I also have a 2015 R/T 5.7 8 speed and went with the Procharger HO system @ 7 PSI. That's their standard full bolt on kit they sell for our cars. It comes with everything you need including the upgraded fuel pump and basic safe tune. The car runs exceptional with the Procharger. With the 8 Speed being extremely close ratio you never fall out of boost. The drivability is near stock. The car made 457 hp on the Procharger basic tune. I now have a custom ST tune and the car puts down 506 hp (see pics). I have the same mods as you. Headers and full exhaust. The only other mod that I have recently installed is a Snow stage 2 meth kit with the throttle body plate. I did this due to the high summertime heat where I live. The car isn't tuned for meth I just use it as a security blanket.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
Looks awesome too :thumbsup:

A Guy

Reactions: DixieRT

·
Registered
33 Posts
8lbs is safe but what is the max safest without heavy upgrades. Pro Charge P1 SC1 is 7lbs would get it with intercooler about 165+ HP. Is it worth it or go larger. Not going to track or street racing (only when challenged)
Just want to mash down on it when I want

1 - 14 of 14 Posts